SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Dec 5, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #13,486 of 15,608
Hey folks!!

Somehow I’ve managed to dig myself into a hole and decide to buy the WM1am2 😂😅 I’ve had the Mr Walkman modded A55 for a few years. I wanted to upgrade to take advantage of the 4.4m port because I have my NW1am2, and I also hope to get back into the hobby of hi res music listening.

Was this a waste? I hope not. Hah. I got it through amazon with same-day shipping, so it’ll allegedly be coming in about 12 hours!

Well, I’ve gotten it and I LOVE IT!!!!

I followed the debloating tips and restricted a lot on the device. Looking forward to spending more time with it.

Dec 6, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #13,487 of 15,608
Hey folks, potentially dumb question. So I JUST also got my very first turntable (audio technical LP60 USB version) and because I'm such a noob, I'm gonna build out my set up slowly. Would it be possible to use the WM1am2 as the turntable's DAC? if so, what additional cable(s) would I need? Thank you.

Dec 8, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #13,489 of 15,608
Hello, have any of you tried out the Monarch MKIII with the AM 2? If so, I would be very happy if someone could tell me something about the sound. Many thanks in advance. :beerchug:
I have the MK3 with the AM2. I love the synergy. the sound is detailed but full of energy. Bass sounds, control, and energetic, Mids are sony mids very sweet. and travel is not overdone.

my AM2 is the uncapped version. so it has plenty of power for them.

Dec 8, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #13,491 of 15,608
Hey folks, potentially dumb question. So I JUST also got my very first turntable (audio technical LP60 USB version) and because I'm such a noob, I'm gonna build out my set up slowly. Would it be possible to use the WM1am2 as the turntable's DAC? if so, what additional cable(s) would I need? Thank you.

the turntable's DAC? what?!

Dec 8, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #13,492 of 15,608
the turntable's DAC? what?!
I don't know the right terminology to use here because I'm very new to this. I was reading, and maybe "source" was what I was trying to say.
That's why I prefaced my question with, "potentially dumb question" hahaaa

Dec 8, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #13,494 of 15,608
a turntable is an analog source. it doesn't need a DAC, it just needs amplification.
Gotcha gotcha!

So in my mind, I was thinking about it this way; using a cable to plug the walkman into the turntable and listening to the audio via the walkman.

But I assume I’d need a different kind of device for that - I’ll continue to do my research

Dec 8, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #13,495 of 15,608
Gotcha gotcha!

So in my mind, I was thinking about it this way; using a cable to plug the walkman into the turntable and listening to the audio via the walkman.

But I assume I’d need a different kind of device for that - I’ll continue to do my research
assuming you already have a turntable at home, how different is it between turntables with Sony vinyl processor ?

Dec 9, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #13,496 of 15,608
assuming you already have a turntable at home, how different is it between turntables with Sony vinyl processor ?
i’m sorry, I wish I can answer that!

I literally JUST got my first turntable 3 days ago and just got the WM1am2 two days ago. Haven’t been able to test the turntable at all and I haven’t yet tried out the vinyl processor. I’ve just been listening to the m2 with direct sound on.

Dec 9, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #13,497 of 15,608
Gotcha gotcha!

The spec for your turntable says that it has a USB output. This is a digital output. (The turntable has converted the analog from the cartridge (on the tonearm) into digital, and output to the USB. )
If this is correct, then just need to plug a USB cable from the Turntable(check if it is USB A or C, and use the appropriate cable) to the WM1AM2 USB C socket, and turn on USB-DAC function on the WM1AM2. (The WM1AM2 may automatically recognize the digital input, and prompt if you want to turn on USB-DAC.)
This will take the digital output from the Turntable, and use the WM1AM2 as the DAC to play the output from the Turntable.

Instructions for USB-DAC function:
https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwwm1m2/v1/en/contents/TP1000462322.html

Dec 9, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #13,498 of 15,608
why would anyone want to do that? convert their vinyl signal to digital, only to convert it back to analog again?! you could simply stream the same album from the Walkman and it would likely sound better than running it through these needless conversions.

i assume the USB port on the turntable is for the purpose of ripping vinyl to digital files, not active listening.

Dec 9, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #13,499 of 15,608
Just get those Schiit amp with Phono card and enjoy the music with headphone

Dec 11, 2023 at 12:20 AM Post #13,500 of 15,608

I don't think so, since it is for computers not analog. I have used portable amps from a turntable though, as well as IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back