SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Dec 11, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #13,501 of 15,683
Hey folks, potentially dumb question. So I JUST also got my very first turntable (audio technical LP60 USB version) and because I'm such a noob, I'm gonna build out my set up slowly. Would it be possible to use the WM1am2 as the turntable's DAC? if so, what additional cable(s) would I need? Thank you.
Looks like you cannot plug the LP60 directly into the WM1AM2.

See the discussion about this, in the link below, for your turntable.
- the AT LP60 USB is a slave device
- a USB DAC (the WM1AM2) is also a slave device
Need a Master device to connect to the slave devices.

The solution, from the web site discussion, is to connect the LP60 to a PC (master device), and also the WM1AM2 connected to the PC, This allows the PC to take the digital from the LP60, and direct it to the WM1AM2.
Complex, but no extra cost, aside from 2 cables, which you probably already have. So can try, just for interest.
While it does seem illogical to convert an analog disc to digital, it is still worth trying, as the WM1AM2->Earphone chain could be a higher quality than your analog amplifier/speaker chain. And it gives you an alternate way of listening to the vinyl.
Give it a try and see whether you like it.

**************************************************************************************************************************************
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.p...79p27jb5u6&topic=113271.msg1180882#msg1180882

Re: Problem: USB turn table into a USB dac and not getting any signal

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2013, 10:17 pm »

Connect DAC and TT to a computer.

Run Audacity.

Select DAC as output device. Select TT as input device.

Select Transport/Software Playthrough.

Dec 11, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #13,502 of 15,683
Looks like you cannot plug the LP60 directly into the WM1AM2.

See the discussion about this, in the link below, for your turntable.
- the AT LP60 USB is a slave device
- a USB DAC (the WM1AM2) is also a slave device
Need a Master device to connect to the slave devices.

The solution, from the web site discussion, is to connect the LP60 to a PC (master device), and also the WM1AM2 connected to the PC, This allows the PC to take the digital from the LP60, and direct it to the WM1AM2.
Complex, but no extra cost, aside from 2 cables, which you probably already have. So can try, just for interest.
While it does seem illogical to convert an analog disc to digital, it is still worth trying, as the WM1AM2->Earphone chain could be a higher quality than your analog amplifier/speaker chain. And it gives you an alternate way of listening to the vinyl.
Give it a try and see whether you like it.

**************************************************************************************************************************************
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.p...79p27jb5u6&topic=113271.msg1180882#msg1180882

Re: Problem: USB turn table into a USB dac and not getting any signal

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2013, 10:17 pm »

Connect DAC and TT to a computer.

Run Audacity.

Select DAC as output device. Select TT as input device.

Select Transport/Software Playthrough.
Thank you VERY much for explaining this! I really appreciate it. Yup, it is quite a little process going on here haha. I’ve been doing more reading and understanding about phono preamps and a/v receivers, all things i had absolutely no knowledge of a week ago.

I think I will try this, just to see!

Dec 12, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #13,503 of 15,683
Hello everyone

This is my first post in this thread. I recently acquired a Sony WM1ZM2, and as a newbie with this DAP, I have a couple of doubts:

1. My unit is a Japanese model and I reside in Europe. If a new firmware update is released (my current version is 1.07.00) will the 'High gain output' option that my unit currently has be eliminated, as is the case with European models?

2. I have the same doubt if I wanted to restore the factory settings, since in 'About device' the avatar of the previous owner continues to appear and I have not found how to change it, and I am already using my Google account on the device to install apps like Tidal.

Thank you very much in advance for your help and patience. Now it's time to catch up on this thread.

Dec 12, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #13,504 of 15,683
Hi Guys, noob question, am thinking of getting a WM1ZM2 and was wondering if I can pair my AK PA10 amp to it. Tried pairing at the Sony's store but couldn't get it to work.

Dec 13, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #13,506 of 15,683
Hello everyone

This is my first post in this thread. I recently acquired a Sony WM1ZM2, and as a newbie with this DAP, I have a couple of doubts:

1. My unit is a Japanese model and I reside in Europe. If a new firmware update is released (my current version is 1.07.00) will the 'High gain output' option that my unit currently has be eliminated, as is the case with European models?

2. I have the same doubt if I wanted to restore the factory settings, since in 'About device' the avatar of the previous owner continues to appear and I have not found how to change it, and I am already using my Google account on the device to install apps like Tidal.

Thank you very much in advance for your help and patience. Now it's time to catch up on this thread.
1 Japanese remains Japanese version. No worries.

2. Do a factory reset. Rule number 1 when buying gear from others.

Dec 13, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #13,508 of 15,683
Hi Guys, noob question, am thinking of getting a WM1ZM2 and was wondering if I can pair my AK PA10 amp to it. Tried pairing at the Sony's store but couldn't get it to work.

Yep - you can pair it with any external amp. Don't bother to look for a Line Out setting thought - there's none. It's just a straight 4.4mm to 4.4mm (or 3.5mm to 3.5mm) to your amp (or any amp). In my case, when I do this, I crank the volume to 120 on my DAP and control the volume on my external amp

Just FYI - no need for the ground adapter.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #13,510 of 15,683
1 Japanese remains Japanese version. No worries.

2. Do a factory reset. Rule number 1 when buying gear from others.
Thank you very much for your attention and your response. I stay calmer. I had not restored to factory settings precisely because of that inicial doubt.

Thanks again :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #13,511 of 15,683
Yep - you can pair it with any external amp. Don't bother to look for a Line Out setting thought - there's none. It's just a straight 4.4mm to 4.4mm (or 3.5mm to 3.5mm) to your amp (or any amp). In my case, when I do this, I crank the volume to 120 on my DAP and control the volume on my external amp

Just FYI - no need for the ground adapter.
Thanks, will head to the store again to try out.

Dec 14, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #13,512 of 15,683
O, guys, Sony A306 is updated from Android 12 to 13 today. Think we might have it for M2 too. Im not sure it is good or bad news, im just concerned about the stability issue.

Dec 14, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #13,513 of 15,683
O, guys, Sony A306 is updated from Android 12 to 13 today. Think we might have it for M2 too. Im not sure it is good or bad news, im just concerned about the stability issue.
Where did you get this information?

Dec 14, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #13,514 of 15,683
Where did you get this information?
No information, just some prediction as the Walkmans is from the same generation. Think A306 and 707 is going for the head start and the firmware is on version 2. If M2 firmware goes version 2, interesting.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #13,515 of 15,683
No information, just some prediction as the Walkmans is from the same generation. Think A306 and 707 is going for the head start and the firmware is on version 2. If M2 firmware goes version 2, interesting.
I don't know if Sony has ever updated the daps with Android to a next generation, and I don't think they do so because of the errors they may cause, which is why the Sony daps are very stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back