SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Aug 7, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #12,151 of 15,835
Unfortunately, on the german website it seems, that they have listed the correct output power. It says: Maximum Output (JEITA 16 Ω/MW): 0,4 to 1,1 mW (32 Ω)
I calculated how loud the MDR-Z1R is peak with that value.

Its 98db. This sounds much, but again, depends on the recording. If you have a song with lots of dynamics, it might sound to quiet.

But it will be enough for most songs.

For comparison, the uncapped version pushes the MDR-Z1R to 118db which is enough for every Song that exists. So that is a big difference.

Aug 7, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #12,152 of 15,835

Its 98db. This sounds much, but again, depends on the recording. If you have a song with lots of dynamics, it might sound to quiet.

For comparison, the uncapped version pushes the MDR-Z1R to 118db which is enough for every Song that exists. So that is a big difference.

thank you for your help and the effort! 100 decibels actually sounds quite alright, but you are right regarding songs with a lot of dynamics. Maybe I will try it with the MDR-Z1R. I will probably use them just at home, so they doesn't need to be as loud as portable headphones.

Aug 7, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #12,153 of 15,835
thank you for your help and the effort! 100 decibels actually sounds quite alright, but you are right regarding songs with a lot of dynamics. Maybe I will try it with the MDR-Z1R. I will probably use them just at home, so they doesn't need to be as loud as portable headphones.
Yes. Some songs like from Hans Zimmer have more than 40db Dynamic. So they have 98db in peak, but this is only for very short time, like very short single sounds. Most of the Song will be around 50-70db which is the volume of an normal conversation.

There will be no immersive feeling at that volume.

Aug 7, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #12,154 of 15,835
Hey, community. Hope everyone and their families are well. Been scouring the internet about this and can't find what I'm looking for. So I said, lemme go to the source. Does anyone know if there is anyway to use your phone to control what's playing on your wm1zm2? I'd love to be able to control it through my phone, with the cayin amp, it's difficult to take it out of it's protective case every time I'd like to change songs. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much, God bless all!

Aug 7, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #12,155 of 15,835
Hey, community. Hope everyone and their families are well. Been scouring the internet about this and can't find what I'm looking for. So I said, lemme go to the source. Does anyone know if there is anyway to use your phone to control what's playing on your wm1zm2? I'd love to be able to control it through my phone, with the cayin amp, it's difficult to take it out of it's protective case every time I'd like to change songs. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much, God bless all!
Not as far as i know, but why do you take it out of the protective case? Or do you just mean you have to take out the protective case? I can use mine while hes inside the protective case

Aug 7, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #12,156 of 15,835

If the volume limited wm1am2 could output 98dB without audible distortion it would be great. Perhaps mine has a fault but at around volume 75 I can hear distortion in the output which makes it useless for me. It is languishing around in the bottom of my unused head-fi products drawer currently.

Aug 7, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #12,157 of 15,835
If the volume limited wm1am2 could output 98dB without audible distortion it would be great. Perhaps mine has a fault but at around volume 75 I can hear distortion in the output which makes it useless for me. It is languishing around in the bottom of my unused head-fi products drawer currently.
Why don't you send it in for repair? According to measurements, there is no audible distortion, it sounds like something is wrong

Aug 7, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #12,159 of 15,835
Does anyone know if there is anyway to use your phone to control what's playing on your wm1zm2? I'd love to be able to control it through my phone ...
Why don't you buy a remote control for your DAP? With Android-based SONY DAPs you can buy third-party RCs. And they are not so pricey.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #12,160 of 15,835
But at 100 decibels, think it will activate the AVLS prompt once in a while for cap unit.

Aug 7, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #12,162 of 15,835
yeah, that's true. But this prompt will pop up only every 20 hours - sony says that in the manual.
Think the first prompt will pop in less than an hour, not sure about the subsequent one. I remember playing with WM1A with different region. If you can get through this, then i think so it's fine.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #12,163 of 15,835
Hi,

I have a Sony NW-WM1AM2 walkman european version with volume cap for about a month now. I would like to buy the Sony MDR-1ZR, but I read, that the capped walkman can‘t drive the heaphones properly. Does anyone have this combination and can confirm this? I would use it over 4.4 balanced.

Thanks

Also note that, unless you live in Austria, the MDR-Z1R is out of stock everywhere else in Europe it seems. It has been discontinued I understand, and only U.S. shops still seem to have new units.

Aug 7, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #12,164 of 15,835
Also note that, unless you live in Austria, the MDR-Z1R is out of stock everywhere else in Europe it seems. It has been discontinued I understand, and only U.S. shops still seem to have new units.
You‘re right, but „Amazon can deliver it from us, with fees for around 1.750€ - oh, and Media Markt Germany has it for 1.799€

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #12,165 of 15,835
Alternatively, do you have any other tips for headphones that work on the limited wm1am2? I have three in mind: Foal Stellia (are actually too expensive for me), Meze Liric (it is often said that they do not provide all the details in music) and Audeze LCD-X (these were recommended by headphones.com). As I said, I like to listen to rap, pop, indie and everything except classical, jazz, metal or hard rock. I'm looking for headphones that provide a good bass foundation and allow me to hear a lot of detail in songs. They should be closed backs, I think maximum 30-35 ohms with the capped wm1am2(?)

I am looking for a endgame headphone. I am someone who only needs one, not multiple headphones. It is very difficult to find a right one, because everyone is saying something else. Where I live, there a no stores, where I can listen to the headphones mentioned above.

- - -
Or maybe you can recomment a little Portable amp for the sony headphones, that doesnt cost serveral hundrets of dollars.

Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back