SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 3, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #10,066 of 15,722
Not sure why the hell does these intelligent audio engineers want to place so much care and attention to the niche audiophile group of people’s hearing health. It’s really just disgustingly absurd that the mainstream users are on their iPhones/Samsung android phones with their AirPods and Galaxy earbuds without any enforced loudness restrictions. These are the group of people that these engineering societies and international organisations should be placing their attention towards. You gonna save the hearing of 1% of the population? Give me a break.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #10,067 of 15,722
Not sure why the hell does these intelligent audio engineers want to place so much care and attention to the niche audiophile group of people’s hearing health. It’s really just disgustingly absurd that the mainstream users are on their iPhones/Samsung android phones with their AirPods and Galaxy earbuds. These are the group of people that these engineering societies and international organisations should be placing their attention towards. You gonna save the hearing of 1% of the population? Give me a break.
I can tell you that no audio engineers would care about that. It would be the production executives and legislation’s compliance executives. Every and each engineers always wanted their products to be flexing the most of it muscles if it could

Feb 3, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #10,068 of 15,722
I can tell you that no audio engineers would care about that. It would be the production executives and legislation’s compliance executives. Every and each engineers always wanted their products to be flexing the most of it muscles if it could
https://aes.digitellinc.com/aes/specialties/342/view

Make a guess on why these loudness restrictions are being imposed. It came from somewhere.

WHO and ITU are driving these.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #10,069 of 15,722
I wonder how much hardware is unused / under utilized in a capped version. imagine how much smaller / cheaper it could be.

And the cap will spread to all regions by 20XX?

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #10,073 of 15,722
Another annoying thing with the capped version is that you have to turn off AVLS to unleash the full 1mW. However, when you do this you get a warning every 20 hours and it drops media volume down to about half, so you have to go into settings to turn it back up again.
The device will even wake up in the middle of the night to display the warning.
PXL_20230131_214713035.jpg

Feb 3, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #10,074 of 15,722
Another annoying thing with the capped version is that you have to turn off AVLS to unleash the full 1mW. However, when you do this you get a warning every 20 hours and it drops media volume down to about half, so you have to go into settings to turn it back up again.
LOL! Wow ! Cant make it up

Feb 3, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #10,075 of 15,722
No worries guys…1Z and 1A are not capped for any market except EU.
We will worry about it when Mk3 is launched few years later with capped volume.

Btw, how does this DAP pair with DUNU Zen Pro? Anyone using this pair ?

Feb 3, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #10,076 of 15,722
I guess m2 Walkmans are not as easy to change region back like on m1. On some tracks, both of my 1A and 1Z can barely drive Arya.

Feb 4, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #10,077 of 15,722
Sony ... pls try YOUR VERY BEST to implement volume cap on TV, SOUNDBAR system, if possible all your iem and headphone by reducing sensitively ..... to protect our precious hearing.

Feb 4, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #10,078 of 15,722
I guess m2 Walkmans are not as easy to change region back like on m1. On some tracks, both of my 1A and 1Z can barely drive Arya.
My 1AM2 can't drive Arya V2 sufficiently. I tried that combo just once,to see how it goes.
Stick to IEMs and very efficient Headphones. I enjoy the HiFiMan HE-R9 with the 1AM2.

Feb 4, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #10,079 of 15,722
My capped 1A drives my Arya V3 to lower levels than I would usually want with some tracks, but just about acceptable. With some, mainly classical tracks, the level is too low.
The V3 Aryas are more sensitive then the V2s though.
Even when the capped power is enough the AVLS nagging adds another layer of annoyance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back