SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jan 4, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #9,106 of 15,711
The a100tb is setup the same way as the BA300s. 4.4mm input, and 4.4mm output. Both of these amps are intended for 4.4mm balanced input only, and balanced 4.4mm output to IEM/Headphone. The 4.4mm output from the Sony is plugged into the BA300s input. The a100tb is the same.
The general rule is to not short the balanced channels together, whether on the DAP side, or the AMP side. So a balanced amp input should be fed with a balanced output from the DAP. Feeding a 3.5mm output from the DAP would short the AMPs separated channel circuitry together, which is not recommended.
The 3.5mm single ended plug uses a common ground (L, R, L+R GRD). The 4.4mm blanced uses a L+ L-, and a R+ R- signal, with the balanced channels usually comprised of 4 amps, which operate in a differential mode, 2 per channel. So the different configuration is the reason why it is not recommended to short balanced amp grounds together, which you would do it you plugged a 3.5mm Single Ended plug into either side.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #9,107 of 15,711
The a100tb is setup the same way as the BA300s. 4.4mm input, and 4.4mm output. Both of these amps are intended for 4.4mm balanced input only, and balanced 4.4mm output to IEM/Headphone. The 4.4mm output from the Sony is plugged into the BA300s input. The a100tb is the same.
The general rule is to not short the balanced channels together, whether on the DAP side, or the AMP side. So a balanced amp input should be fed with a balanced output from the DAP. Feeding a 3.5mm output from the DAP would short the AMPs separated channel circuitry together, which is not recommended.
The 3.5mm single ended plug uses a common ground (L, R, L+R GRD). The 4.4mm blanced uses a L+ L-, and a R+ R- signal, with the balanced channels usually comprised of 4 amps, which operate in a differential mode, 2 per channel. So the different configuration is the reason why it is not recommended to short balanced amp grounds together, which you would do it you plugged a 3.5mm Single Ended plug into either side.
Thanks! That makes sense, only thing I’m still a bit confused by is whether to use just a normal 4.4mm to 4.4mm interconnect, or use something like the attached photo to take advantage of the grounding the Sony 3.5mm offers (meaning you plug both the 4.4mm and it’s piggyback 3.5mm dongle into three sony at the same time).

Attachments

• 8B8E0659-7B09-48CD-A89A-D807B48F7B85.jpeg
    8B8E0659-7B09-48CD-A89A-D807B48F7B85.jpeg
    314.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 4, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #9,108 of 15,711
hello all, any idea if there are stores selling the WM1ZM2 in Narita Airport? will be stopping over in terminal 1 and hope to pick one up at a duty free if available - am guessing language on device won't be an issue/other caveats for JP model

thanks guys!

Jan 4, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #9,110 of 15,711
hello all, any idea if there are stores selling the WM1ZM2 in Narita Airport? will be stopping over in terminal 1 and hope to pick one up at a duty free if available - am guessing language on device won't be an issue/other caveats for JP model

thanks guys!
You can buy tax free on almost every eletronic shop in Japan, or even good condition used ones at akihabara. I

f you arent leaving the airport im not sure you will find it on the airport, those shops are actually small and focus on things that sell more easily.

Jan 4, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #9,111 of 15,711
Thanks! That makes sense, only thing I’m still a bit confused by is whether to use just a normal 4.4mm to 4.4mm interconnect, or use something like the attached photo to take advantage of the grounding the Sony 3.5mm offers (meaning you plug both the 4.4mm and it’s piggyback 3.5mm dongle into three sony at the same time).
I am using this kind of cable to connect my walkman to external amps, and it really helps reduce noise, and make a dark background as the walkman standalone. Especially on some amps the power supply is not clean, in my case the Xduoo MT-604, without the connected ground, the background is too noisy.

Jan 5, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #9,112 of 15,711
Not needed in all cases. Lowers the noise floor and cleaner background for lower impedance iems and headphones. My Campfire Solaris have buzzing with amp. My audeze Euclid and fatfreq Maestromini do not. So, it depends on the headphone/iem on whether or not you need/should use that special type of cable

Jan 5, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #9,113 of 15,711
By the way, i had no issues entering Frankfurt Airport with my WM1ZM2.

The customs were completely closed, you could just pass without any inspection at all. If you would have had something to declare, you would have had to call them by phone.

Jan 5, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #9,114 of 15,711
Tell them it’s an mp3 player - no one will believe it’s cost more than $500. Or take it out of the box. I’ve never paid any taxes for anything I’ve ever bought abroad

Jan 5, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #9,117 of 15,711
What? You didn't post the empty box home!!!😂
I am moving to Japan right now, im only back in germany for the last few things i have to do here. So the box is right where it belongs to, in its home country^^

Jan 5, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #9,119 of 15,711
You can buy tax free on almost every eletronic shop in Japan, or even good condition used ones at akihabara. I

f you arent leaving the airport im not sure you will find it on the airport, those shops are actually small and focus on things that sell more easily.

alright hope it's available in the arrival hall of T1 Narita, only have an hour there so abit worried

Jan 5, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #9,120 of 15,711
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back