SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jan 7, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #9,136 of 15,987
I swapped out the stock cable for a custom cable because the memory wire was driving me crazy

Jan 8, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #9,142 of 15,987
is it possible to connect wm1am2, 4.4mm out to rca on topping a90 amp?
General rule is to go balanced to balanced, unbalanced to unbalanced.
4.4 is balanced, and RCA is unbalanced, as the RCA ground is common. All the RCA connections on the circuit board are on a common ground.
So you will short the 4.4 output separated grounds together if it is plugged into an RCA input.

Jan 8, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #9,143 of 15,987
General rule is to go balanced to balanced, unbalanced to unbalanced.
4.4 is balanced, and RCA is unbalanced, as the RCA ground is common. All the RCA connections on the circuit board are on a common ground.
So you will short the 4.4 output separated grounds together if it is plugged into an RCA input.
thank u for sharing, i am new to amp .. i had in mind 1am2 4.4mm out to a d90 amp (by xlr connection now), or even audio techinca at-bha100 amp.

Can i know should i turn up max volume on 1am2, when i connect to the amp? using the amp to control the volume i required?

Jan 8, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #9,144 of 15,987
thank u for sharing, i am new to amp .. i had in mind 1am2 4.4mm out to a d90 amp (by xlr connection now), or even audio techinca at-bha100 amp.

Can i know should i turn up max volume on 1am2, when i connect to the amp? using the amp to control the volume i required?
Uh, maybe it's better to hold off the amp connection and do a little more research. Think 4.4mm to XLR from M2 walkman is not so straight forward as walkman 4.4mm has no ground. Maybe someone with more info can chip in.

Regarding your Focal clear under power from M2, i have similar experience with my MDR Z1R though i have not use Focal and hopes the following trick can do some help. Whenever I unplug my Sony Kimber for more than 15 times, MDR Z1R will sound lifeless or like under powered, I apply thin layer of Deoxit Gold on the connector and everything sounds normal or optimal again. I was shocked the first time when I apply it when the cotton bud turns light black. It has become my routine now.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #9,145 of 15,987

I have no experience with XLR. My understanding is that XLR is balanced, so 4.4 to 2 x XLR is fine.
Volume setting, I believe people have recommended setting the 1am2 to maximum. Don't take this as expert advice, though. It is not.
I believe that with the 1am2, this is not critical. I believe the way the S-Master does volume does not make this a weak point. You can experiment.

How to Build Your Own XLR Cables: A Step by Step Guide - Studio DIY — The  Home Studio Archive

Jan 8, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #9,146 of 15,987
Im having issues with the Sony Walkman recognizing ID3 tagged album art on files. Anyone have any suggestions?

Jan 8, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #9,147 of 15,987
Uh, maybe it's better to hold off the amp connection and do a little more research. Think 4.4mm to XLR from M2 walkman is not so straight forward as walkman 4.4mm has no ground. Maybe someone with more info can chip in.

Regarding your Focal clear under power from M2, i have similar experience with my MDR Z1R though i have not use Focal and hopes the following trick can do some help. Whenever I unplug my Sony Kimber for more than 15 times, MDR Z1R will sound lifeless or like under powered, I apply thin layer of Deoxit Gold on the connector and everything sounds normal or optimal again. I was shocked the first time when I apply it when the cotton bud turns light black. It has become my routine now.
Corrosion and oxidation has a significant enough impact on sound quality. Deoxit is really a great product that every audiophile who cares about maintaining good electrical connections should own.

Jan 8, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #9,148 of 15,987
It’s a long thread, can’t expect you to read everything.

Anyway even from my iPhone speakers, it is already very obvious to me that these two Walkman do not sound very alike, they are of different tonality.

If one cannot tell the sound differences from the video then I suggest them to stick to using Apple dongle and wired EarPods or $2 earbuds. Save your money.
it’s crazy as I’ve listened like 40 times and when I play them separately (the whole song) I definitely feel there’s a difference. Z is clearer, especially in the lower spectrum. However when I switch between them (since you were so kind to provide two videos side by side the difference between them disappeared. I was swapping every 3-5 sec and was isolating the sounds and very fresh in my head.

But I’ll swear that when playing separately and the switch between the videos takes longer I was adamant I heard something and then when I “hot swapped” I didn’t.

I wish someone can take the two and do a sound analysis to see if anything can be measured on paper too. This made the choice much harder lol. I might listen another 40 times

Jan 9, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #9,149 of 15,987
I think it really boils down to your music taste, both M2 Walkman sound great. Each does certain genres better.

1AM2 with its faster, tighter transients and crispier/edgy sound: Mainstream Pop, J-pop/K-pop, Heavy Metal and Trance.

1ZM2 with its lingering tone, more hefty bass notes and rounder/lushness sound: Classical, Jazz, OST, A-cappella, Folk Music.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #9,150 of 15,987

Users who are viewing this thread

Back