SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Dec 14, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #8,656 of 15,672
Posting this here because its something I just noticed when using my 1AM2.

I don't believe in "burn in" I just can't get my head around it, I have 94h on my 4.4mm port now and it sounds awesome as it has always done. I just plugged in another IEM that I hadn't used for a while but it does have a fair few hours use under its belt.

The thing is initially the new, old IEM sounded nasty to me but I kept listening as I knew my brain would adjust.

It started sounding very good to me, great soundstage and sound signature an hour or so later so my brain burned in as I thought it may.

The thing is I went back to my HD650 from Hugo2 (I really like this pairing) and then after a couple of hours came back to the Sony with this IEM and straight away it sounded great so now I'm wondering if the output stage of the Sony adapts to a load in some way as it works its awesomeness?

Could I be onto something here I wonder?

Well that's what I'm going with anyway, so if anyone doesn't initially like a pairing with the Sony stick with it and it may improve very quickly.

Dec 14, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #8,657 of 15,672
The only other thing I forgot to mention that can help with the fpga burn in is playing the music backwards (I reverse all my flacs) - this is useful otherwise the fpga get “imprinted” so to speak with your music, playing your music backwards allows it to essentially be little more flexible
That's definitely a good starting point, but don't forget, forward and backward burn-in must be time-symmetrical i.e. must be used for the same period of time. Otherwise you _will_ degrade SQ. And burn-in is _not_ reversible ☝🏼.
But why looking for such complex solutions. Cooling is the best known way to reduce noise, may it be for digital or analogue devices. I myself bought the small CDAYBF-167 cooling box. It has an integrated USB poweramp which keeps the AM2 at around 24.8°F for at least 6 hours. Every distraction or the tiniest bit of noise you may heard before just disappears. It's so simple 👍🏼

Dec 14, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #8,658 of 15,672
Posting this here because its something I just noticed when using my 1AM2.

I don't believe in "burn in" I just can't get my head around it, I have 94h on my 4.4mm port now and it sounds awesome as it has always done. I just plugged in another IEM that I hadn't used for a while but it does have a fair few hours use under its belt.

The thing is initially the new, old IEM sounded nasty to me but I kept listening as I knew my brain would adjust.

It started sounding very good to me, great soundstage and sound signature an hour or so later so my brain burned in as I thought it may.

The thing is I went back to my HD650 from Hugo2 (I really like this pairing) and then after a couple of hours came back to the Sony with this IEM and straight away it sounded great so now I'm wondering if the output stage of the Sony adapts to a load in some way as it works its awesomeness?

Could I be onto something here I wonder?

Well that's what I'm going with anyway, so if anyone doesn't initially like a pairing with the Sony stick with it and it may improve very quickly.
It’s just brain burn in, there’s no auto impedance matching on the output
That's definitely a good starting point, but don't forget, forward and backward burn-in must be time-symmetrical i.e. must be used for the same period of time. Otherwise you _will_ degrade SQ. And burn-in is _not_ reversible ☝🏼.
But why looking for such complex solutions. Cooling is the best known way to reduce noise, may it be for digital or analogue devices. I myself bought the small CDAYBF-167 cooling box. It has an integrated USB poweramp which keeps the AM2 at around 24.8°F for at least 6 hours. Every distraction or the tiniest bit of noise you may heard before just disappears. It's so simple 👍🏼
love it haha

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #8,659 of 15,672
Wut.

Dec 14, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #8,662 of 15,672
It’s just brain burn in, there’s no auto impedance matching on the output

love it haha
I don't think it is, there is something else going on, my WM1AM2 has made a £/$150 IEM sound as good as a £/$1000 one and I really am not joking.

Not initially it took a few hours but when the DAP has fully AI adjusted or whatever it is that happens to the IEM something truly magical happens.

Dec 14, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #8,663 of 15,672
Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #8,664 of 15,672
Good points!

A corollary to the cooling effect on equipment, is that the ear should also be at the same temperature. If you have access to a walk in freezer, try using it as a listening room.

Make sure you allow time for the equipment and ear temperature to stabilize.

Dec 14, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #8,665 of 15,672
Good points!

A corollary to the cooling effect on equipment, is that the ear should also be at the same temperature. If you have access to a walk in freezer, try using it as a listening room.

Make sure you allow time for the equipment and ear temperature to stabilize.
The speed of sound is very much affected by the temperature and the materials it is travelling through:
https://www.nde-ed.org/Physics/Sound/speedinmaterials.xhtml

Even wind has an effect on live concert experience:
https://www.11alive.com/amp/article...evening-summer-concerts-the-best/85-573516909

Though I am not sure if a freezer is the ideal listening environment.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #8,666 of 15,672
Sorry to chime in but go ahead and listen to just 1 headphone per day, guarantee they blow your mind, if not, try again with another one. :gs1000smile:

Dec 14, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #8,667 of 15,672
When I demo both 1AM2 and 1ZM2, did not find it special. But I still went ahead to get it.
After receiving the players, less than 5sec after listening, I am in love with both.
Immediately DX300 when to the for sales listing.
What was your opinion of the 1AM2 vs 1ZM2?

Dec 14, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #8,668 of 15,672
DSEE.jpg

They don’t measure in what order the sound is reproduced, how soft or harsh it sounds, because you can put on a crappy vinyl from the 1930’s that objectively will blow 90% of listeners away and a perfectly recorded song from 2022 and while it’s perfect… it doesn’t give you goosebumps
I think our human hearing is not always after absolutes and prefer things to scale in a delta like fashion.

Having strong dynamics is important, however what is more important is the loudness gradients in which the music is flowing.

On first listen, something like a typical designed ESS Sabre DAC will wow you with its rocket like transients, like if you demo it in a showroom where the sales person plays a specific part of the music where the loud passages of the sound wows you. However if you listen long enough, you might realise that this is unnatural sounding or very fatiguing.

A well designed audio equipment like in the case of the M2 Walkman, Schiit multi-bit dacs, IFI burr brown dacs, there is much more sound information that you can derive from the music as these equipment places more emphasis on the other aspects of the sound production over how ESS does things by just making everything in the music blasting loud like a PA speaker. Sony’s DSD Remastering is liked by some because the ultra high rate of linear upsampling makes for a more gradual approach to dynamics. This is why I think sometimes less is more.

This video gives an excellent explanation on this topic:

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #8,670 of 15,672
Sorry to chime in but go ahead and listen to just 1 headphone per day, guarantee they blow your mind, if not, try again with another one. :gs1000smile:
Though there are extremely bright headphones that sounds is like this, they blow your ear drums immediately:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back