SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Dec 15, 2022 at 1:36 AM Post #8,671 of 15,754
It may seem like a joke to some under informed people here, but temperatures drifts does have quite a significant effect on the performance of electronics:

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/te...ircuits-resistors-and-operational-amplifiers/

Whether you can hear it depends on how well designed the circuits are and how sensitive and discerning your hearing is.
I think you may be onto something, its quite cold in the UK at the moment and to be honest my heating system is struggling to cope despite the double glazing and new home insulation. The room I'm in was around 19 degrees and it did warm up to 21 degrees eventually but there would also be some internal heating internally from the device itself, so yes I'm going with this.

Dec 15, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #8,673 of 15,754
I don't think it is, there is something else going on, my WM1AM2 has made a £/$150 IEM sound as good as a £/$1000 one and I really am not joking.

Not initially it took a few hours but when the DAP has fully AI adjusted or whatever it is that happens to the IEM something truly magical happens.

Maybe the headphone needed a quick burn in - I noticed even with new speakers I got (Genelecs), I lent them to a friend for his party and they got seriously blasted for few hours close to distorting (I got worried but they survived)... when I plugged them in back home they sounded very different, a lot less harsh with more bass and dynamics, like different speakers.. all thanks to that party. I've experienced similar things with some headphones especially dynamics.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #8,674 of 15,754
M2 happily playing away through PWA FTS and Jewel CIEM, no DSP/DSD/Direct, WiFi still on, no apps disabled, low gain. Superb album for highlighting what M2 can do for bass texture. Glad to have it back after a couple of short holidays around the globe. Happy ears, just need another coffee! :upside_down: :L3000: :beerchug:

20221215_065304.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #8,675 of 15,754
I think you may be onto something, it’s quite cold in the UK at the moment and to be honest my heating system is struggling to cope despite the double glazing and new home insulation. The room I'm in was around 19 degrees and it did warm up to 21 degrees eventually but there would also be some internal heating internally from the device itself, so yes I'm going with this.
Due to the cold weather recently, some of the Japanese owners of the M2 Walkman are experiencing response delays with the turning on of the lcd display. I think that was fixed in the latest firmware.

Though I am sort of lucky(or unlucky) to be in tropical Singapore where the temperature remains with a consistent +/- 5C through out the day and through out the year. Typically it’s about 30C with indoor temps around 28C

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #8,676 of 15,754
I don't think it is, there is something else going on, my WM1AM2 has made a £/$150 IEM sound as good as a £/$1000 one and I really am not joking.

Not initially it took a few hours but when the DAP has fully AI adjusted or whatever it is that happens to the IEM something truly magical happens.
Wait you can’t be serious right? All we need is an Apple dongle! Source does NOT make a difference to the sound! It is your transducers that make the difference! You mean you don’t trust the opinion of the Mighty Crinacle? Don’t be delusional. Time for you to step outside the Sony Fog and embrace the real audio science!

Sorry I am just kidding about the above. Garbage in garbage out, feed your iem with garbage signals, don’t expect unicorns to come out.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #8,677 of 15,754
M2 happily playing away through PWA FTS and Jewel CIEM, no DSP/DSD/Direct, WiFi still on, no apps disabled, low gain. Superb album for highlighting what M2 can do for bass texture. Glad to have it back after a couple of short holidays around the globe. Happy ears, just need another coffee! :upside_down: :L3000: :beerchug:

I am not sure why the wifi needs to be left on when playing back off line music. It doesn’t improve sound quality nor does it help with battery life or battery wear.

Dec 15, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #8,678 of 15,754
I am not sure why the wifi needs to be left on when playing back off line music. It doesn’t improve sound quality nor does it help with battery life or battery wear.
but you get the latest push notifications from instagram and tiktok :-D

Dec 15, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #8,679 of 15,754
It degrades the sound as it would introduce a very invasive interferences toward the whole system and the errors parameters

Dec 15, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #8,680 of 15,754
I just couldn't be arsed to turn it off and didn't notice any jump in SQ with it off....

Dec 15, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #8,681 of 15,754
@Whitigir

I don’t know how to exactly describe what I am hearing with DSD Remastering mode that doesn’t exist with PCM playback. For example during a live concert, the singer’s body microphone gets contacted during a body hug which cause a kind of pop pop sound. I can feel the air pressure of the microphone being pressed upon. It’s like a vacuum effect, if using a dynamic driver headphone, you can really feel the driver diaphragm being pushed and pulled with really alot of constant force.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #8,682 of 15,754
And the RS8 has nothing close to the lovely sound signature of the M2s.
And how did you arrive at this conclusion? I have both the RS8 and 1ZM2 and have been spending 25 hours with them.
I don't see in your inventory an RS8.

It is really in the second hour from turning these daps on that you hear the capabilities.

With IEMs the Sony does well against the RS8 which is slightly more musical and slight
more realistic rendering of live recordings. RS8 has much bigger sound stage, most likely
from a more powerful amp.

With headphones there is no contest. Sony doesn't have the power to sound dynamic
and with higher current requirements the volume is still low at 80 and high gain on a 20 ohm LCD-MX4.
Which, no doubt you would already know. The RS8 has been reported by well accepted reviewers
as producing very good results for headphones with the C9. So far, I have not had good
luck with headphones and the Sony. Someone has explained to me that I need to ground
the Sony to use with an external amp. Not sure about investing more money into this solution
without more information.

The 1ZM2 is a very nice player, mine is finally after 30 hours and using a U18t showing me the
capabilities that have made the Sony a cult. :) If the Sony 1ZM2 continues to open up the
treble, I shall be quite happy with the final results.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #8,683 of 15,754
And how did you arrive at this conclusion? I have both the RS8 and 1ZM2 and have been spending 25 hours with them. It is really in the second hour from turning these daps on that you hear the capabilities.

With IEMs the Sony does well against the RS8 which is slightly more musical and slight more realistic rendering of live recordings. RS8 has much bigger sound stage, most likely from a more powerful amp.

With headphones there is no contest. Sony doesn't have the power to sound dynamic and with higher current requirements the volume is still low at 80 and high gain on a 20 ohm LCD-MX4.

The 1ZM2 is a very nice player, mine is finally after 30 hours and using a U18t showing me the capabilities that have made the Sony a cult. :)
That's something I had a play about with this morning, driving power. Had a play about with low/high using Jewel, ended up settling on low despite needing 90+ on DSD with - 3dB. We all seem to start getting worried when we're at 2/3rds volume but I've not noticed any issues going up past that. Would be nice to have a bit more grunt but that'll wipe out the stellar battery life and if you're in the Sony ecosystem, then I guess using Sony cans ain't an issue.

Dec 15, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #8,684 of 15,754
On my both adequately drivable MDR-1AM2 and IER-M9. I recently discovered(from using dsd remastering mode) that using low gain is a better option over high gain. Volume matched, low gain seems to have stronger bass slam compared to high gain. Maybe there’s more capacitor power reserves with low gain or something.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #8,685 of 15,754
On my both adequately drivable MDR-1AM2 and IER-M9. I recently discovered(from using dsd remastering mode) that using low gain is a better option over high gain. Volume matched, low gain seems to have stronger bass slam compared to high gain. Maybe there’s more capacitor power reserves with low gain or something.
Even ier z1r does better with low gain. It is all in the class d and gain Implementations

Users who are viewing this thread

Back