SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Oct 5, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #6,481 of 15,604
If you like the sound of digital amps, there is no alternative, its the best.

If you like the Sound of analog amps, you won't like it as it doesn't sound like that.

Digital Amps are closer to the actual sound and how it is supposed to sound, in addition Sony uses its self developed capacitors solely tuned for sound. But that is not an simple answer.

60fps and high end lenses are closer to real life, and still cinema movies mostly use 24fps and smoother/unsharp lenses to create that specific cinematic look.

So if you want to get as close to the original recording as absolutely possible, there is no way around an full digital amp. If you will like that sound is something that only you can answer.

Thanks my question doesn't just relate to sonically to the competition but also functions and features.
Is Roon able to be side loaded.

Oct 5, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #6,482 of 15,604
Is it possible to side load Roon on the NW-WM1ZM2?
Because it Is a fully working android DAP, there is no need to side load. Just download from the google playstore.

Oct 5, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #6,483 of 15,604
I completely agree but may I ask what you seek from the forum if you don't seek discussion, opinion or help?
Because what your saying is that reviews or opinions are worthless. I agree, that we all have our own ears and how we perceive things.
I haven't said that I don't own the product already and others but you are making assumptions.
I still ask my original question

What is the consensus of the NW-WM1ZM2 against the latest (comparable) competition.
Reviews are useful insofar as you know what the reviewer's listening preferences, hearing ability and music library is like compared to your own. One of the most valuable things I learned early on here is to find people with similar tastes to yours and put more stock in their opinions. For example, someone who mainly listens to metal or RnB will likely hear an IEM very differently to how I hear it.

This forum is a great place for beginners and those with limited access to gear to learn about the gear and also 'sample' gear from afar. I personally come here to offer my experience where I can, and partake in the banter that I enjoy. I write my own reviews and have a group of like-minded experienced head-fiers I regularly chat to for advice on new gear.

Even then, we all agree that unless you've heard something for yourself, you can't really comment about or compare it with other gear.

Oct 5, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #6,485 of 15,604
Thanks my question doesn't just relate to sonically to the competition but also functions and features.
Is Roon able to be side loaded.
The only application that has direct access to the Amp is the Walkman Music Player App.

All other Apps can be installed and work, but they don't directly access the Amp and so cause higher power consumption and worse sound quality

Oct 5, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #6,487 of 15,604
I remember that someone on head-fi uploaded a technical document about the digital amp, but I can't find it again, does anyone have that?

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #6,488 of 15,604
This is the ZX507 android audio path provided by Sony:

11305533.jpg

Recently they released a new diagram for the WM1M2 series with a lot of super-imposed annotations (I suppose it’s to mis-direct)but it still shows it’s selectable only between this two 48Khz or 192KHz for the android/streaming app path:
Found this

Oct 5, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #6,489 of 15,604
B7DC4169-5C00-4453-A4B6-B2F696638237.jpeg

First day of being a m2 owner and i already dropped it while spinning on my stationary bike. It landed right on the headphone plug. Heatshrink on the headphone has bent mark but m2 is still intact. If it was a 2.5mm jack then it could’ve been on its way back to the factory for repair..

Oct 5, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #6,491 of 15,604
Read the above posts regarding apps and audio path, I just like to share my little findings after fiddling with the ZM2 for few months. I have a habit of running the Sony headphone app and selecting the appropriate headphone or iem while using sony walkman music, especially on the go with my xm4, and I use it too with both Z1R at home too. Then I realize sometimes when I forget to switch to the correct headphone in headphone app, the music sounds different, one day I decided to try listening without the Sony headphone app. It just sounds so much better, maybe the headphone app has changed the audio path while running. The vocal sounds thinner, bass is weak, but when all background apps close except sony music app, it just sounds right.

Just to make sure no unnecessary apps running in background, u can tap on the right bottom square button on screen, swipe all apps up to close it. While auditioning one, try close all background apps to get the best sound. Enjoy :L3000:

My previous post about developer options on bluetooth forcing to 990 kbps, my bad, it doesn't stick to setting most of time. I did a factory reset, bluetooth connection back to more stable. Think I broke the bluetooth stable connection while tweaking the settings like clearing caches, changing background. Now I just leave it at default, only disabling the notifications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back