SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Oct 5, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #6,497 of 15,612
What are the chances of Sony updating and making it Roon ready, as it is so popular now?
This App pretty much doesn't exist in Japan, so don't have high hopes.

No other application beside the Walkman App has direct access to the S-Master HX, that will most likely never change

Oct 5, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #6,498 of 15,612
Thanks my question doesn't just relate to sonically to the competition but also functions and features.
Is Roon able to be side loaded.
If you want great sound and great Android experience look at high end iBasso or Hiby as both do bit-perfect for streaming and smoother OS.

The A/ZM2 is a sluggish OS experience.

Oct 5, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #6,499 of 15,612
Apologies if the answer to my question is already in here somewhere, but I got burnt out after already going back through about 40 pages lol.
I primarily use my 1aM2 with Apple music. I'm not sure if there's a way to know for certain if the actual file quality is being played or not. I assume Sony has some form of work around for the resampling android does by default, but I noticed some comments here that streaming apps do not have direct access to the amp? I enjoy the sound quality of the device regardless, but it would be nice to confirm what sort of playback is actually happening with a device at this price point.

Also, to my ears I enjoy the various sound adjustment tools, but leave them off when on the go because to my ears they are subtle enough that in any sort of noisy environment the minor differences are lost so I'd rather just preserve the bit of extra battery life while I'm out. Do the sound adjustments work with streaming apps or am I just imagining the differences I'm hearing? Would be very interested to hear others experiences. In all my use of Apple music, I only use downloaded files within the app for offline use, with all audio quality settings set to the maximum settings. I don't technically "stream" anything.

Oct 5, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #6,500 of 15,612
Apologies if the answer to my question is already in here somewhere, but I got burnt out after already going back through about 40 pages lol.
I primarily use my 1aM2 with Apple music. I'm not sure if there's a way to know for certain if the actual file quality is being played or not. I assume Sony has some form of work around for the resampling android does by default, but I noticed some comments here that streaming apps do not have direct access to the amp? I enjoy the sound quality of the device regardless, but it would be nice to confirm what sort of playback is actually happening with a device at this price point.

Also, to my ears I enjoy the various sound adjustment tools, but leave them off when on the go because to my ears they are subtle enough that in any sort of noisy environment the minor differences are lost so I'd rather just preserve the bit of extra battery life while I'm out. Do the sound adjustments work with streaming apps or am I just imagining the differences I'm hearing? Would be very interested to hear others experiences. In all my use of Apple music, I only use downloaded files within the app for offline use, with all audio quality settings set to the maximum settings. I don't technically "stream" anything.
I would say if you have the Sony set to Hi mode of 24/192 streaming media (and their offline tracks) they sound indistinguishable to music played in the Walkman app, even though not strictly bit-perfect and through a different path.

I ripped some Tidal MQA a while back and I couldn't tell difference those played in Walkman app vs played in Tidal App.

Hi-def mode not needed for just Spotify.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #6,501 of 15,612
I would say if you have the Sony set to Hi mode of 24/192 streaming media (and their offline tracks) they sound indistinguishable to music played in the Walkman app, even though not strictly bit-perfect and through a different path.

I ripped some Tidal MQA a while back and I couldn't tell difference those played in Walkman app vs played in Tidal App.

Hi-def mode not needed for just Spotify.
I agree. I actually did an A/B of one of my favorite albums. Focused on certain parts for quite awhile and oddly enough I preferred the sound of the 24/48 alac files in Apple music over my wav files of the same album in the Walkman app. Sounded slightly smoother to my ears. I just didn't know if the android re-sampling was happening on the higher res tracks.

Oct 5, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #6,502 of 15,612
I agree. I actually did an A/B of one of my favorite albums. Focused on certain parts for quite awhile and oddly enough I preferred the sound of the 24/48 alac files in Apple music over my wav files of the same album in the Walkman app. Sounded slightly smoother to my ears. I just didn't know if the android re-sampling was happening on the higher res tracks.
Outside of Walkman app and UAPP app its either all at 16/48 or 24/192 dependent on Android audio mode selected (normal or Hi-def).

I also found that for Amazon HD on mobile on Android or IOS, Amazon HD app outputs at 24/192 anyway irrespective of track bitrate, so an actual 24/96 would still technically be output at 24/192 from the app so correct rate for Sony Hi-def mode.

Oct 5, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #6,503 of 15,612
Outside of Walkman app and UAPP app its either all at 16/48 or 24/192 dependent on Android audio mode selected (normal or Hi-def).

I also found that for Amazon HD on mobile on Android or IOS, Amazon HD app outputs at 24/192 anyway irrespective of track bitrate, so an actual 24/96 would still technically be output at 24/192 from the app so correct rate for Sony Hi-def mode.
Interesting. Either way, I'm not complaining. I don't really get hung up on file types.
Do the sound adjustments work on the streaming services as well or do they only apply to music played through the Walkman app?

Oct 5, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #6,504 of 15,612
Interesting. Either way, I'm not complaining. I don't really get hung up on file types.
Do the sound adjustments work on the streaming services as well or do they only apply to music played through the Walkman app?
With IOS and Amazon HD I'm refering to iPhone with external DAC/AMP as iPhone itself limited to 24/48 internally.

I've only ever used my Sony in Direct mode. Never use EQ or tweaks on DAPs.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #6,505 of 15,612
With IOS and Amazon HD I'm refering to iPhone with external DAC/AMP as iPhone itself limited to 24/48 internally.

I've only ever used my Sony in Direct mode. Never use EQ or tweaks on DAPs.
I see.
I never typically use these things either, but I have had luck with Sony's dsee in the past. EQ I personally never touch. In my experience it's too easy to accidentally over do it and once I find a setting I like for one album, it rarely works out for another. Rather just leave it alone.
Mostly interested in the DSD Remastering. Through the Walkman app there's a hugely noticeable difference. When using Apple music I can hear the same difference, but it seems to much slighter degree. Not sure if it's actually doing anything or I'm just experiencing some sort of placebo.

Oct 5, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #6,506 of 15,612
Thanks my question doesn't just relate to sonically to the competition but also functions and features.
Is Roon able to be side loaded.
Insofar as UI and OS, I would reckon that Shanling M9 and iBasso DX320 are great insofar as functions and features are concerned, with a balance of good sonics. The experience that people have with Sony M2 DAPs vs the Chinese DAPs seem to vary. There are those who complain they are sluggish whereas others seem to have no real issue. The one I do not own, the Cayin N8ii, seems to have its fans as well.

Of course, beyond functionality and features, there is of course the question of sound signature that you prefer.

In respect of Roon, if you want a Roon Ready DAP, there is currently only the AK DAPs that have that. Of course, the way the OS and UI is set up is different again as AK has a walled garden approach - only certain apps work on them and you cannot use Google Playstore as is but need to side load apks on the AK DAPs.

Ultimately, there is much choice in the DAP market right now if you seek on which incorporates streaming. For myself, I enjoy the Sony house sound and so I enjoy my 1ZM2 and 1AM2 very much. Though the M9 and the DX312 have their charms as well. :)

Oct 5, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #6,507 of 15,612
I remember that someone on head-fi uploaded a technical document about the digital amp, but I can't find it again, does anyone have that?
Need help :frowning2:

Oct 6, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #6,509 of 15,612
I have that issue as well, although the screen does come up, eventually. Hoping for a software update that solves this.

Oct 6, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #6,510 of 15,612
does anybody have the issue of the screen not coming up right away when the power button is pressed? only the backlight comes on and the screen comes up about 10 seconds later.
Not had that one. I don't use any screen lock if that could be why you have issue ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back