SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Oct 7, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #6,526 of 15,701
Guys I am quite keen on this unit but am thinking about the new A&K SP3000 also.
I stream everything using Tidal and when indoors use Roon.
Is this Sony NW-WM1ZM2 a bit of a faff to get the best from it sonically if have to use the Walkman app.
Also this volume issue is bugging me a bit.
Spoke to Sony and have it in writing like you all say, there is no high limit mode in the UK version and if I obtain a new UK model then there is no warranty.

Oct 7, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #6,527 of 15,701
Guys I am quite keen on this unit but am thinking about the new A&K SP3000 also.
Is this Sony NW-WM1ZM2 a bit of a faff to get the best from it sonically if have to use the Walkman app.
Spoke to Sony and have it in writing like you all say, there is no high limit mode in the UK version and if I obtain a new UK model then there is no warranty.

For best Android/streaming hi-end experience with modern Android 11 and no SCR, isn't the iBasso DX320 now the one to go for, unless you must have Sony tunning/style.

I've no interest in A&K myself, weird designs and obvious Brand whore pricing (bit like Sony Z's pricing!)

I was so close to getting an iBasso DX240 myself instead of the Sony.

DX320 Edition X version looks nice but a prefer volume buttons over dials

1665146061031.png

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #6,528 of 15,701
It's my understanding Android SRC uses one bitrate so that glitches aren't introduced if apps using different, hence the whole audio subsystem set at 16/48. Get problems if multiple apps compete at different bitrate/frequencies.

It's my understanding that what Sony have done is chosen Android SRC to operate at 24/192 which is why you need a full reboot if you change the setting. It uses more power but all Android audio, be it alarm, notifications or audio app output is then all at 24/192.

So, an App like Amazon HD with a 24/192 file and the app itself outputs at 24/192 hits Android SRC which already set to operate at 24/192, so effectively bit-perfect.
An Amazon HD 24/48 and Amazon 24/96 is still upscaled by the app to 24/192 before hitting SCR.

In the case of Tidal App with MQA, it would do 1 MQA unfold so you would get say 24/48, 24/96 and then the Sony Android SRC but upscale from Tidal app to output at 24/192.

By using Sony in 24/192 mode, you are losing no bits, but tracks are being padded up to 24/192 unless already 24/192.

Now Walkman app uses its dedicated Red path so has none of this and I think UAPP with its own driver can also now use the RED path and be bit-perfect (but no Sony sound enhancements with UAPP if you use them).
I actually messaged the uapp devs about this. They said the app doesn't function well on Sony daps. Kinda surprised.

Oct 7, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #6,529 of 15,701
I actually messaged the uapp devs about this. They said the app doesn't function well on Sony daps. Kinda surprised.

I worked with developer on the version for ZX507 and give feedback to get it working. It's not the best experience because Sony has low powered CPU & RAM compared to smartphones and you need to set cache value high.

I don't use it myself now as Walkman App is perfect for all my own files including MQA with lower battery use, and any streaming service sounds great with Sony at 24/192 mode (or 16/48 mode if only using Spotify).

Oct 7, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #6,530 of 15,701
It just depends on your preference honestly. The difference between using streaming apps and the Walkman app with local files is arguably inaudible if you have the high resolution streaming setting on. Otherwise you just can't use the various sound adjustments with streaming apps. Which is unfortunate, but not a deal breaker for most. Myself personally I switch between the 1am2 and A&k kann max. Just depends on which headphones or iem I feel like using for the day.

Oct 7, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #6,531 of 15,701
I worked with developer on the version for ZX507 and give feedback to get it working. It's not the best experience because Sony has low powered CPU & RAM compared to smartphones and you need to set cache value high.

I don't use it myself now as Walkman App is perfect for all my own files including MQA with lower battery use, and any streaming service sounds great with Sony at 24/192 mode (or 16/48 mode if only using Spotify).
Nice to know. Unfortunately it doesn't work with Apple music still. I much prefer Apple music to Tidal personally. Plus it's included with my mobile phone service so much point in paying for tidal in my case.

Oct 7, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #6,532 of 15,701
Nice to know. Unfortunately it doesn't work with Apple music still. I much prefer Apple music to Tidal personally. Plus it's included with my mobile phone service so much point in paying for tidal in my case.

You mean the Sony doesn't work with Apple Music App at all?

I'm an AmazonHD Music fan at only £79 for 12 months! Still have Spotify too as wife won't give it up (for ease of use, interface, podcasts).

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #6,534 of 15,701
No, UAPP doesn't work with Apple music.
I use Apple music majority of the time on the 1am2.

Ah, want to use Apple Music with UAPP. Never happen, like Spotify Apple Music is locked down. Are you not happy with Apple Music App with Sony set to 24/192 mode ?

Oct 7, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #6,535 of 15,701
Just listening at the moment and racking up the hours on my A1M2 (with Sony IER-M9 at moment) and I've never fully thought burn-in was a thing, but boy is this thing sounding better all the time and I'm only at just over 100 hrs on balanced. Male vocal ballad and its if he's in room singing to me!

Oct 7, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #6,536 of 15,701
Ah, want to use Apple Music with UAPP. Never happen, like Spotify Apple Music is locked down. Are you not happy with Apple Music App with Sony set to 24/192 mode ?
I'm plenty happy with it 😁. Just would like to be able to use the various sound adjustments. They don't work with music services directly. For example, on some albums I really enjoy the DSD Remastering. Can't use it with streaming services even when playing offline files in that service. Uapp would allow for this as it follows the "red" signal path.

Oct 7, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #6,537 of 15,701
I'm plenty happy with it 😁. Just would like to be able to use the various sound adjustments. They don't work with music services directly. For example, on some albums I really enjoy the DSD Remastering. Can't use it with streaming services even when playing offline files in that service. Uapp would allow for this as it follows the "red" signal path.
They don't work in UAPP anyway. It's only a dedicated audio driver with own EQ that just knows there's a hardware DAC it can directly access. It won't have ability to apply the Sony tweaks.

Personally, it sounds so good Direct I don't even mess with any of the Sony tweaks that all just eat up battery time anyway.

Oct 7, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #6,538 of 15,701
Just listening at the moment and racking up the hours on my A1M2 (with Sony IER-M9 at moment) and I've never fully thought burn-in was a thing, but boy is this thing sounding better all the time and I'm only at just over 100 hrs on balanced. Male vocal ballad and its if he's in room singing to me!
I learned with my old Zx2 that burn in is 100% a thing. Especially for Sony. Other daps I've owned have never benefited nearly as much from it for some reason. They did, but not as large of a difference in sound. I haven't been clocking the hours as I primarily use Apple music, but the sound has definitely improved over the couple weeks I've owned the 1am2.

Oct 7, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #6,539 of 15,701
Thanks guys

One thing I also like with the Sony are it's strong residual values so when the time comes to upgrade in a few years it helps with the change.
Is there any merit in thinking that Sony unlike some of the other manufacturers will have had much more money to spend on R&D and this in turn benefits their DAPs?
Not quite sure if I am explaining what I mean that well.

Oct 7, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #6,540 of 15,701
They don't work in UAPP anyway. It's only a dedicated audio driver with own EQ that just knows there's a hardware DAC it can directly access. It won't have ability to apply the Sony tweaks.

Personally, it sounds so good Direct I don't even mess with any of the Sony tweaks that all just eat up battery time anyway.
Fair enough. For me it really just depends on the track. They're features I really only mess with when I can sit and listen in a quiet environment. On the go I don't bother and just use Apple music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back