SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jul 14, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #5,327 of 15,590
Wow...I think this is the longest I ever waited for any release. 😅 Should've just ordered from Amazon JP long time ago.
Thats what I did I ordered Japan version WM1A M2 , many people ask me where I got my WM1A M2 almost every day when i'm out and about town they ask if its a phone , now not even Japan are selling walkmans that includes Sony Japan and no other models are available world wide as they are not produced any more A55 , 105 , ZX507 but i did buy a brand new unopened NW-WM1Z a month ago because of its size for travel and it sounds great that store still has a few WM1Z in stock but at full price , I find the WM1M2 a little to big ,

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #5,328 of 15,590
Thats what I did I ordered Japan version WM1A M2 , many people ask me where I got my WM1A M2 almost every day when i'm out and about town they ask if its a phone , now not even Japan are selling walkmans that includes Sony Japan and no other models are available world wide as they are not produced any more A55 , 105 , ZX507 but i did buy a brand new unopened NW-WM1Z a month ago because of its size for travel and it sounds great that store still has a few WM1Z in stock but at full price , I find the WM1M2 a little to big ,

Strange thing is my recently arrived Z had a manufacturing month of May 2022.. took them 2 months from factory to consumers

Jul 15, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #5,329 of 15,590
Hello,
For those who have / had the WM1Z and now also have the WM1ZM2, could you pls comment on the sound of the M2, like is it same / very similar / similar / somewhat diff / very diff, when comparing to the WM1Z. I have the 1st gen and am considering acquiring the M2, if its sound is very similar to the 1st gen.

TIA ..

Jul 15, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #5,330 of 15,590
Hello,
For those who have / had the WM1Z and now also have the WM1ZM2, could you pls comment on the sound of the M2, like is it same / very similar / similar / somewhat diff / very diff, when comparing to the WM1Z. I have the 1st gen and am considering acquiring the M2, if its sound is very similar to the 1st gen.

TIA ..

In terms of sound signature between it depends on which firmware you are currently using on the original 1Z. Since that varies a bit. But I would say with the M2, it's character is very much like the stock M1.
  • Detailed, but non-fatiguing high end
  • Deep, precise bass that's not dry
I'm currently at 100 hours on the M2.

What sets the two apart is the technical performance. The way the M2 processes musical detail such as busy passages is a step up. With the M1 I'd have to concentrate to hear certain things. But on the M2 these details are just there, which I find leads to a more 'relaxing' experience.

Sound staging and the projection of a sound space is also 'fuller' on the M2, but I feel the M1 is wider. I guess, surround sound vs stereo is a good analogy.

That said, the M1s are still damn good.

Have also posted some impressions between the 1Z and the 1ZM2 at various stages of the burn-in period:

Jul 15, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #5,331 of 15,590
My Wm1am2 arrived in canada couple of days ago form zenmarket rakuten. Although I dont own wm1a coming from kann alpha I agree with the two points you noted. I can listen to wm1am2 for hours and not get tired. It is just so much detail and not being loud at the same time it’s perfectly pairs with ier-z1r.

Edit- I could not use usb dac on my unit. (No sound) does anyone else face this problem?

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #5,333 of 15,590
In terms of sound signature between it depends on which firmware you are currently using on the original 1Z. Since that varies a bit. But I would say with the M2, it's character is very much like the stock M1.
I'm currently at 100 hours on the M2.

What sets the two apart is the technical performance. The way the M2 processes musical detail such as busy passages is a step up. With the M1 I'd have to concentrate to hear certain things. But on the M2 these details are just there, which I find leads to a more 'relaxing' experience.

Sound staging and the projection of a sound space is also 'fuller' on the M2, but I feel the M1 is wider. I guess, surround sound vs stereo is a good analogy.

That said, the M1s are still damn good.

Have also posted some impressions between the 1Z and the 1ZM2 at various stages of the burn-in period:
Thanks. That’s exactly what I wish to find out. The M2 is now a to be acquired. That’s 100% for sure.

Jul 15, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #5,334 of 15,590
Thank You, yes it is. I was primarily aiming at P6 Pro, sonically it was Superior to all daps I’ve heard, also tried the newest M9 Shanling - didn’t hear anything special. With m17 it’s different😊 Hope to try Wm1zm2 some day soon
beyond wm1z, i have the m17, too. the m17 has a really great sound and i fell it as "warm", too. especially if you use the DC mode.

Jul 15, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #5,336 of 15,590
E-earphone jp state stock expected late August, so presumably that's when the next batch will be available. I have conducted a trial run having never used a forwarding service before:

20220714_181606.jpg

Jul 15, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #5,337 of 15,590
Thanks. That’s exactly what I wish to find out. The M2 is now a to be acquired. That’s 100% for sure.
If you're into aged alcohol like single malt whiskies, then the M1 is like a 18 year old bottle, whereas the M2 is the 25 year old expression.

The value of the M1 is obviously better, but there's no denying that the M2 builds on the original and adds refinement.

Jul 15, 2022 at 6:51 AM Post #5,338 of 15,590
Any WM1AM2 owners care to compare it with the original WM1Z? Since they're about the same price (new AM2 vs 1Z) I think it'll be an interesting and relevant comparison for prospective buyers.

I have heard it the WM1AM2 and honestly, it sounds closer to the WM1Z than the new 1Z does. I posted my impressions here.
Father meets Stepson (More alike than apart)

1646395749291.jpeg

Last but not least, here are my impressions regarding the WM1AM2 vs WM1Z.

It may surprise you to hear that the WM1AM2 is closer in sound signature to the WM1Z than it is to the old WM1A. It is still roomy and faster bit a by but it presents much more warmth in the track. It really is what I would call a fast WM1Z.

As for the rest of the components of sound, I would say the depth and layering is not as good as my WM1Z and the highs taper off just slightly earlier.

However, where the WM1AM2 beats the 2 gold walkman at, is male vocals. I was shocked to feel that male vocals came a bit more forward.

Jul 15, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #5,339 of 15,590

Can I ask is there any volume limit in Japanese ones? I am thinking to buy it from Japan. (one of my friends is there now)

Jul 15, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #5,340 of 15,590
Can I ask is there any volume limit in Japanese ones? I am thinking to buy it from Japan. (one of my friends is there now)
no limits in the original, japanese version.

if you are located in europe... i would order one as well :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back