SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 14, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #4,216 of 15,612
That’s the one I initially used and that’s the useless one that gave me answer like:
1. “Your repair will be completed from 11/5 onwards”.
2. “Do check your unit when doing collection”

And FYI, they are from the same service Outsourced that Sony Singapore used, they are not Sony corporate.
Just to confirm that you have reported to Sony that your Walkman was faulty within 7 days of delivery?

If that’s the case they should have offered you a direct exchange and not repair:

https://store.sony.com.sg/pages/term-conditions/?locale=en

Questions about Returns & Refunds​

Q. Can I exchange/ return my order?
A. Exchange/ return is only available for products that are deemed to be incorrect or damaged in transit. An incorrect product means the item delivered is not what you ordered (i.e. the model or colour is different from what is indicated on the order confirmation or there are missing items or parts inside the packaging). A damaged in transit product means the item delivered is faulty out of the box (ie: damaged before you received it).
For exchange/ return to be done, items must fulfil the below requirements.
  • The exchange/ return request must be submitted through our online contact form under “Sony Store, Online Support” within 7 days from the day the product is delivered to you.
  • The product must be purchased through Sony Store, Online.
  • Proof of purchase through delivery order receipt and order number is required at the point of submitting the exchange/ return request.
  • Product must be returned to Sony Store, Wisma Atria.
  • Product must be returned in the original packaging, and should include any free gifts, warranties, manuals, and other accessories that came together with your item. Product may only be returned if unopened.
Kindly note that shipping and handling fee are non-refundable unless a replacement item is shipped out due to being damaged in transit, or faulty when opened at which Sony will assume the responsibility. Refunds and exchanges are based on the paid price on the original order.
We regret to inform that any requests for return or refund due to a change of mind will not be accepted. We reserve the right to reject any return or refund requests that we deem invalid, unreasonable or unjustified at our sole discretion.
Q. What is the exchange/ return process?
A. If your exchange/ return request meets all the requirements above and you wish to proceed with the exchange/ return, please submit the request through our online contact form under “Sony Store, Online Support” within 7 days from the day the product is delivered to you.
Our product consultant will verify the return reason and contact you for a follow up on the arrangement of exchange/ return assessment.
We will conduct an evaluation within 7 days starting from the day we receive your returned item(s). If your exchange/ return is assessed to be valid, our product consultant will contact you for a follow up on the arrangement of exchange/ return. Refund will be initiated immediately upon a valid assessment by Sony.
Refundable amount will be credited to the Credit Card account used for the order payment. Processing lead time will be subject to respective banks’ internal processes.
If your return is assessed to not be valid, we will notify you and arrange the items to be collected at Sony Store, Wisma Atria. We reserve the right to reject any return or refund requests that we deem invalid, unreasonable or unjustified at our sole discretion.

May 14, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #4,217 of 15,612
Just to confirm that you have reported to Sony that your Walkman was faulty within 7 days of delivery?

If that’s the case they should have offered you a direct exchange and not repair:

https://store.sony.com.sg/pages/term-conditions/?locale=en
Yes, I received it on around 13-14 April, I brought it into Sony at 313 on 15th April. Mind you, when I brought my 1ZM2 in, their 313 showroom and service center did it even have the demo unit to do the comparison. They want to confirm that the numerous IEMs (64 audio Foute, 18T, 18S and even their own Sony M9) with different cables that I brought along is not the cause of the issue, which in the end they tried it with the Z1 headphone from their showroom and it doesn’t work either. So I guess this is the lesson learnt of being the early adopter with Sony I.e. settled it with the repair and just wait and wait and wait for them to use my unit as a lab rat to try the repair.

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #4,218 of 15,612
Each dap manufacturer will have their own quirks and issues.

Some dap manufacturers produces so many models to the point where you don’t have even know if that dap you invested a lot of cash in turns out to be their flagship or not.

Some dap manufacturers don’t even get their firmware to be running streaming apps stable enough.

Or how about dap manufacturers refusing to service your dap for the reason of software modifications. Especially when they don’t even specify what is considered as software modifications properly. E.g. is doing ADB uninstall considered as software modifications?

no names will be mentioned here, but if you read around head-fi enough, you will uncover them.
No need to hide their names, just call them out, so people know what to expect. However, this has nothing to do with the delayed/out of sync video-audio when used as external DAC in portable players

Have anyone found any DAP that doesn’t have this issues ?

May 14, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #4,219 of 15,612
Then I guess you should really just dump Sony in favour of Hiby.

Different sound signatures, and gorgeous design/build.

Wow! You really are a Sony Fanboy arn't you! Its not wise having such devotion to one Brand and undermine genuine concerns or weaknesses.

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #4,220 of 15,612
So far no complaints here with the wm1a m2, all working as intended, all features are top notch, no compromises either.

I have been through many daps - ibasso, fiio, hiby in particular - and i must say sound-wise, generally speaking, they are definitely up there with sony… but they all have some sort of compromises like some popping sounds when listening to offline tracks, sometimes buzzing when wifi is on, bluetooth ldac sometimes wonky, etc… at the end of the day Sony gave me the most stable one with the WM1A and no compromises at all. They even have various unique dsp that takes listening a notch higher. I actually saved more by going Sony instead of getting the latest every 6 or 12 mos from various dap manufacturers. Having more choices is good just a matter of getting one that suits you… for me i dont want to tinker that much just want great top notch sound without any compromises

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #4,221 of 15,612
To put it in the actual objective perspective, once you follow these steps to remove the included bloatware along with @Sonywalkmanuser M2 optimization guide, you do get the improvement in user interface as measured by AnTuTu 3D benchmark; 600 point higher, mostly due to UX score improvement. Other DAPs with Snapdragon 660 and Android 9 still have a score which is about 2.5x higher, but nevertheless, you can still optimize your WM1A/ZM2 by following these steps.

Before and After:

sony-wm1zm2-x13.png sony-wm1zm2-x17.png
You shouldn't need to jump through such hoops on a premium product :frowning2: Sony should have advanced it's own OS not folded to Google...

Q-6

May 14, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #4,222 of 15,612
You shouldn't need to jump through such hoops on a premium product :frowning2: Sony should have advanced it's own OS not folded to Google...

Q-6
Then they wouldn't have been able to provide streaming support. It's as simple as that. Minor sound improvement aside, that's the main selling point here. Without it, you don't need to upgrade. Don't need streaming? You don't need to upgrade.

May 14, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #4,223 of 15,612
So far no complaints here with the wm1a m2, all working as intended, all features are top notch, no compromises either.

I have been through many daps - ibasso, fiio, hiby in particular - and i must say sound-wise, generally speaking, they are definitely up there with sony… but they all have some sort of compromises like some popping sounds when listening to offline tracks, sometimes buzzing when wifi is on, bluetooth ldac sometimes wonky, etc… at the end of the day Sony gave me the most stable one with the WM1A and no compromises at all. They even have various unique dsp that takes listening a notch higher. I actually saved more by going Sony instead of getting the latest every 6 or 12 mos from various dap manufacturers. Having more choices is good just a matter of getting one that suits you… for me i dont want to tinker that much just want great too notch sound without any compromises
Sound wise, I have to say the first time I demo the 1ZM2 it blew me away, the level of details comparing to my original 1Z was a real upgrade and that’s why I immediately decided on the spot to do preorder.

So, from the sound quality wise, I won’t fault the 1ZM2 but what really put me off and a total disappoint is the Sony service.

May 14, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #4,224 of 15,612
So i recently got a cayin n8 and while i was transferring files on the device i decided to listen with my a105 (prior to this ive been listening to the n8 non stop) and man it made me realize how special sony signatures are. Sure n8 is more powerful, resolving, incredibly satisfying in the bass department, very nice to drip as i always found the wm1a too small but it lacks the emotive capabilities of my late wm1a. So my question to you guys right now (especially for the wm1zm2 owners) how is it in terms of drivability? The lack of power was the main reason why i forgone my wm1a (and the weird sometimes smooth sometimes sharp treble).

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #4,225 of 15,612
Sound wise, I have to say the first time I demo the 1ZM2 it blew me away, the level of details comparing to my original 1Z was a real upgrade and that’s why I immediately decided on the spot to do preorder.

So, from the sound quality wise, I won’t fault the 1ZM2 but what really put me off and a total disappoint is the Sony service.
Sound superb but i cannot afford .. lol .. so to settle for 1am2 ... yup it blew me away on the spot too ... previously i was also on sony walkman series but nvr sound so nice ...

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #4,226 of 15,612
Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #4,227 of 15,612
Then they wouldn't have been able to provide streaming support. It's as simple as that. Minor sound improvement aside, that's the main selling point here. Without it, you don't need to upgrade. Don't need streaming? You don't need to upgrade.
Yes, totally agree. and i for one is so glad sony came up with streaming as an “upgrade” to the wm1a. The sound improvements such as wider soundstage, micro details and other features are just icing on the cake but definitely very much welcome!
Heck even their implementation of android sounds better than daps that have bit perfect streaming. I dont know how they do it as bit perfect streaming should be better on paper, but whatever magic they have on their android implementation is great as far as sq is concerned.

May 14, 2022 at 3:58 AM Post #4,228 of 15,612
Yes, I received it on around 13-14 April, I brought it into Sony at 313 on 15th April. Mind you, when I brought my 1ZM2 in, their 313 showroom and service center did it even have the demo unit to do the comparison. They want to confirm that the numerous IEMs (64 audio Foute, 18T, 18S and even their own Sony M9) with different cables that I brought along is not the cause of the issue, which in the end they tried it with the Z1 headphone from their showroom and it doesn’t work either. So I guess this is the lesson learnt of being the early adopter with Sony I.e. settled it with the repair and just wait and wait and wait for them to use my unit as a lab rat to try the repair.
Did you insist on getting an exchange? Or was repairing the only option they gave you?

May 14, 2022 at 4:05 AM Post #4,229 of 15,612
Yes, totally agree. and i for one is so glad sony came up with streaming as an “upgrade” to the wm1a. The sound improvements such as wider soundstage, micro details and other features are just icing on the cake but definitely very much welcome!
Heck even their implementation of android sounds better than daps that have bit perfect streaming. I dont know how they do it as bit perfect streaming should be better on paper, but whatever magic they have on their android implementation is great as far as sq is concerned.
I felt that the android audio path on the WM1AM2 is even much more improved than the one found on the ZX507. Listening to music content on YouTube feels a whole lot more high quality, it’s like YouTube has cd audio quality playback soundstaging, dynamics and smoothness instead of sounding like dull low bit rate lossy compression.

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #4,230 of 15,612

Q-6
Then this Android Bloatware Walkman isn't for you. Time to move on to other solutions or products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back