SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 13, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #4,186 of 15,553
Interested to know if someone has tried a USB-C microphone (like the Zoom AM7) on either of the M2s. Would you need an OTG cable?

I tried the Boya BY-DM100 directly on the ZX507 (no OTG cable) and it didn't work (though the internal ZX507 mic did). I assume that the M2s also have an internal mic.

Background, I have one of the Zoom iOS mics and it makes great .wav concert recordings...They also have a USB-C version.
Reposting the above in hope of an answer.
+
Any weekly business travelers coming from the 507 feel the form-factor is not too big? My concern is size compared to the 507. Cripes, my phone is still the SE orig. (I preferer small size).

May 13, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #4,187 of 15,553
Don’t bother, it looks like even Sony Japan care crap about the service, nothing come back from them. I have my Japanese colleague help me send the Japanese feedback through Sony Japan. At the same time I sent another one through Sony Japan website which Google translate help me see one of the option to send feedback in English, one whole day, no reply to either the Japanese version nor the English version of the feedback.

So I guess, I can just hope that after repair things will work okay and after which this would be my last ever spending money with this crappy company called Sony.

I have to admit, nowadays when it comes to service, Japanese company are nothing near what China or Korean company can provide. Those Chi-fi products from FiiO, iBasso etc are giving customer service some respectable substance as compare to Sony.
I find this. Unlike Sony who never seem to reply or take part on theads like these, on the Hiby R5G2 thread we were wishing for double tap to wake screen and within less than a week idea was passed to engineering and this week new firmware update added double tap.

Few of us IEM users commented we couldn't hear a massive difference between ESS amp and class A amp and with the update it got noticeably improved and huge wide sound stage with class A now.

May 13, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #4,188 of 15,553
Die
+
Any weekly business travelers coming from the 507 feel the form-factor is not too big? My concern is size compared to the 507. Cripes, my phone is still the SE orig. (I preferer small size).
Microphone is there
Screenshot_20220513-231236.png

And the new Walkman is gigantic, it's really big. At least 2x the size of the ZX507

Just compare these two images

images.jpeg
nw-wm1m2_review_201.jpg

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #4,189 of 15,553
+
New NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2 are big, very big. When I travelled I commonly used the ZX300 as the WM1A is a big DAP already for on the go.

Q-6

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #4,190 of 15,553
And the new Walkman is gigantic, it's really big. At least 2x the size of the ZX507

Just compare these two images

Agreed, I wanted a slightly smaller form factor and a little more power, not ballooning size & weight to accommodate Google's bloatware...:frowning2:

Q-6

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #4,192 of 15,553
Reading some of the posts about customer service I won't be buying either of these m2's. Also the omission of an official spokesperson on their products on Head-Fi speaks volumes.
It speaks a volume about the bubble the people on Head-Fi live in.

To my knowledge, no Japanese company cares and/or knows about Head-Fi.

And the people who would be allowed to talk here, don't even speak English.

Japanese have their own community, Sony is active in these communities and is talking to Japanese customers in Japanese.

The head of the Walkman team is even active on Twitter.

That Sony doesn't care about Head-Fi is because they most likely don't even know that it exists because their customers doesn't know it exists.

I am pretty sure that less then 0.1% of the people who buy/own Sony Headphones know that Head-Fi exists.

Most likely 70% or even more of the FiiO customers know Head-Fi so obviously they are here

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #4,193 of 15,553
I made pretty good experience with the Sony support so far. I don't remember how long it exactly took, but I got a friendly and helpful reply with an solution to my problem.

On the other hand, I am still waiting for an reply from FiiO about the incredible lag when using the Bluetooth Receiver mode
Hmmm my apology first yah, Im not trying to be an arse here but I think that’s 2 separate components at play here, what Im currently experiencing is the “Service” aspect, from what I can assume on your scenario is what I’d call “Support” aspect. For service, I don’t think I have much choice but to go back to Sony and have them repair the hardware defect for me especially under warranty.

May 13, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #4,194 of 15,553

Japanese have their own community, Sony is active in these communities and is talking to Japanese customers in Japanese.

That Sony doesn't care about Head-Fi is because they most likely don't even know that it exists because their customers doesn't know it exists.

I am pretty sure that less then 0.1% of the people who buy/own Sony Headphones know that Head-Fi exists.

Most likely 70% or even more of the FiiO customers know Head-Fi so obviously they are here

If a company wants to sell it's products abroad, (which they do as they give options of different languages) then they should get involved and provide reassurance that if anything goes wrong someone will be able to help - not just give a standard reply that often doesn't answer a specific question.

'Their customers doesn't know it exists' people here are their customers.

Someone here bought a faulty player under warranty costing thousands of dollars, it should be replaced immediately or if none are available their money refunded, they shouldn't have to chase around trying to get it sorted.

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #4,195 of 15,553

I have agree to your point about the headphones owner vs head-fi, and also the point about Sony as a company with regard to their knowing of the existence of the head-fi at all. I do know also that company such as Sony doesn’t even send out their demo to the audiophile blog like Headphonia, major hi-fi etc.

But one thing that’s I’m pretty sure of is that quite a big chunk of potential buyers of the 1AM2/1ZM2 are here. The DAP market currently are very niche nowadays. I don’t think non audiophile would walk into a Sony shop and spurge out a few thousand dollars on the music player.

So, I don’t expect Sony to read any of my crap. What I’m doing here is more of an experience sharing among people who would be spending their hard earn money on the product from the company such as Sony who treat their customer who needs service like a piece of cow dunk.

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #4,196 of 15,553
If a company wants to sell it's products abroad, (which they do as they give options of different languages) then they should get involved and provide reassurance that if anything goes wrong someone will be able to help - not just give a standard reply that often doesn't answer a specific question.

'Their customers doesn't know it exists' people here are their customers.
Your critic is not totally wrong, but what you critic is how big companies work.

And nobody was refusing support as far as I was able to follow the thread.

May 13, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #4,197 of 15,553
I have agree to your point about the headphones owner vs head-fi, and also the point about Sony as a company with regard to their knowing of the existence of the head-fi at all. I do know also that company such as Sony doesn’t even send out their demo to the audiophile blog like Headphonia, major hi-fi etc.

But one thing that’s I’m pretty sure of is that quite a big chunk of potential buyers of the 1AM2/1ZM2 are here. The DAP market currently are very niche nowadays. I don’t think non audiophile would walk into a Sony shop and spurge out a few thousand dollars on the music player.

So, I don’t expect Sony to read any of my crap. What I’m doing here is more of a awareness sharing among people who would be spending their hard earn money on the product from the company such as Sony who treat their customer who needs service like a piece of cow dunk.
I doubt that. I think that's still a bubble.

Sony sold at least 20'000 1st Gen WM1Z and significantly more WM1A

Not even 1% of the people who own one are here, if at all

May 13, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #4,198 of 15,553
I doubt that. I think that's still a bubble.

Sony sold at least 20'000 1st Gen WM1Z and significantly more WM1A

Not even 1% of the people who own one are here, if at all
Hmm well I can think of 2 things:

1. Majority of those who buy are in Japan, I know the original 1Z is huge there and Japanese are still loving the DAP.
2. For the original 1A/1Z, it was quite a few years back where those Chi-Fi may not have their highend product to really compete with yet.

But one thing for sure, back then AK (Korean company already started taking lunch money away from them.

May 13, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #4,199 of 15,553

1. Majority of those who buy are in Japan, I know the original 1Z is huge there and Japanese are still loving the DAP.
2. For the original 1A/1Z, it was quite a few years back where those Chi-Fi may not have their highend product to really compete with yet.

But one thing for sure, back then AK (Korean company already started taking lunch money away from them.
Agree. Most of their customers are within Japan. And it is a big enough market for them.

It is very fascinating to read about all the complaints here. And then when I am on the chi fi threads to read endless complaints as well. The grass is not necessarily greener on the other side. On the AK threads, you read about all sort of problems too. :)

I think at the end it is tough to keep everyone happy all the time.

For each of us, we can decide what is close to our hearts and what is of prime importance, be it customer service, customer engagement, sound signature, sound quality etc. and make our choice accordingly. :)

May 13, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #4,200 of 15,553

I've tested several of ChiFi DAPs and the only thing that they do better is that they have more output power.

They have bigger numbers on paper and are cheaper, so of course they sell better.

ChiFi DAPs are pretty much smartphones with DAC+AMP Chips. That is appealing to a lot of people. Also people like big numbers on papers and people like low prices.

But I somewhat doubt that this will hinder sales figures of the Walkman.

Two days after the WM1M2 have been released, it already overtook the M11 Plus at e-earphone.

There are people who actually believe that some smartphones from LG or Samsung can compete with MidFi DAPs because they use DACs with similar numbers on paper.

I think it's just more people now in general who are into Audiophile stuff because it's more affordable now and because they like technology and gadgets, not because they are into music. Quite a lot of people here choose their music by what shows the potential of their gear most and not by what they actually like to listen to.

But more than enough people still buy gear not to analyse music or their gear but to actually listen to music, and this is the point where people sell they ChiFi gear after switching the brand 6 times and noticing that they all fail because they are all just soulless tucked together chips and sound like that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back