SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 8, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #3,916 of 15,987
What are the benefits/advantages of listening to a local file in the Sony Music app versus a downloaded file from Apple Music?

Will the same song sound better in one versus the other?

Are you able to utilize more DSP options in the Sony app?

Sony Walkman music App has:

Better Battery Optimization, which means you get up 37++ hours playback vs 18hours with other android music apps like Apple Music

Walkman Music App has Bit perfect playback(sampling rate is based on your music file original sampling rate) vs Apple Music app which is forced upsampled to 32bit 176.4Khz/192KHz sampling rate(Not bit perfect)

Sony Walkman Music App has it's own unique spatial sound processing(in my opinion), so you will have a different kind of sound from it as compared to Apple Music, Neutron or USB Audio Player Pro.

All DSP in the walkman is system wide, exception being DSD-remastering which does not work for Bluetooth connection and only works native(no pcm conversion) in 4.4mm balanced jack.

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #3,918 of 15,987
Managed to reduce memory usage down from ~1.8GB to 1.5GB by using ADB to uninstall apps:
Screenshot_20220508-220558.png

Walkman feels slightly more responsive, scrolling through song list in music app feels more fluid and skipping between tracks feels abit faster too(smaller time delay before next song plays).
What's ADB?

May 8, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #3,919 of 15,987
Voltage skews and jitters are the 2 main vigilantes that is heavily affecting the overall systems. Just as long as there are power running and drawing, the noises floors will be polluted with noises, even if it is below the floor noises to our ears, but to the systems where digital reading is accounted with mV-uV and so on....it matters....quiet more than one would think. But then it would come down to the correction algorithms to take care of the rest. Because if it doesn’t, then the whole things become corrupted though. However, time domains data will show it, and I don’t mean that you can measure it with simple 1 flat frequency sweep either.

But if it doesn’t bother you, why worry ? Just be happy

Some people can live with the stock experience, just like people who use Windows without doing system optimization, driver updates and bloatware removals and privacy/security tune ups.

For me, I seek to improve and optimize all of my systems, from tuning up my android phone to overclocking cpus, optimizing ram timings, tweaking windows operating system, configuring wifi routers for lesser radio interference to modding my desktop audio system to improving my walkman(s). I find that there's significant improvements to performance and quality of life to be had if you spend your time into figuring out all these.

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #3,921 of 15,987
Some people can live with the stock experience, just like people who use Windows without doing system optimization, driver updates and bloatware removals and privacy tune ups.

For me, I seek to improve and optimize all of my systems, from tuning up my android phone to overclocking cpus, optimizing ram timings, tweaking windows operating system, configuring wifi routers for lesser radio interference to modding my desktop audio system to my walkman(s). I find that there's significant improvements to performance and quality of life to be had if you spend your time into figuring out all these.
I agree, and I do the same, and or some more 🥲. Cheers!

May 8, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #3,922 of 15,987
Tinnitus ?
Yes, but that was more of a joke though. What I really meant is that some of us also have a lot of background contaminations, including tinnitus as one of them. Other stuff such as heart beats, pulses, breathing, running airs....etc....our brain and it sensory system, the perceptions of them all is a highly complex and miracle systems

in fact, when we are speaking about below the floor noises, most of the time they are below the noises that pollute us. In reality, if we have zero noises around us, we go crazy 😛

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...will-drive-you-crazy-in-45-minutes-180948160/

May 8, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #3,923 of 15,987
May 8, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #3,924 of 15,987
May 8, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #3,925 of 15,987
Sony Walkman music App has:

Better Battery Optimization, which means you get up 37++ hours playback vs 18hours with other android music apps like Apple Music

Walkman Music App has Bit perfect playback(sampling rate is based on your music file original sampling rate) vs Apple Music app which is forced upsampled to 32bit 176.4Khz/192KHz sampling rate(Not bit perfect)

Sony Walkman Music App has it's own unique spatial sound processing(in my opinion), so you will have a different kind of sound from it as compared to Apple Music, Neutron or USB Audio Player Pro.

All DSP in the walkman is system wide, exception being DSD-remastering which does not work for Bluetooth connection and only works native(no pcm conversion) in 4.4mm balanced jack.
Thanks for the detailed reply 👍

May 8, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #3,926 of 15,987
Yes, but that was more of a joke though. What I really meant is that some of us also have a lot of background contaminations, including tinnitus as one of them. Other stuff such as heart beats, pulses, breathing, running airs....etc....our brain and it sensory system, the perceptions of them all is a highly complex and miracle systems

in fact, when we are speaking about below the floor noises, most of the time they are below the noises that pollute us. In reality, if we have zero noises around us, we go crazy 😛

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...will-drive-you-crazy-in-45-minutes-180948160/
So if you can become a Vampire your music appreciation improves due to lack of heartbeat! Never appreciated that. Popping out to give blood 🤣

May 8, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #3,927 of 15,987
So if you can become a Vampire your music appreciation improves due to lack of heartbeat! Never appreciated that. Popping out to give blood 🤣
That is an interesting Idea! But that has been what greatly bothered me...so if Vampires don’t have a heart or a functioning one, then why a stake through the heart would be fatal ? 🤣🤣. Isnt that something logically like clipping your own nails ?

May 8, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #3,928 of 15,987
Did you know that when you execute those command lines, if it doesn’t exist or installed, it just doesnt do anything ? You can try and check this out

so overall, it is pretty safe
I crashed my walkman by removing com.android.phone

It won't boot up competely(stuck in the last animation screen).

I had to do factory reset which reset my aging records of my balanced and singe end jacks.

May 8, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #3,929 of 15,987
Think I've finally realised this thread is populated by aliens, AI with quantum entangled ears or talking dogs.

Its all a good laugh though, keep it up.

How about injecting embryonic stem cells into your ears to make them as efficient/undamaged as day you are born 😉

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #3,930 of 15,987
Think I've finally realised this thread is populated by aliens, AI with quantum entangled ears or talking dogs.

Its all a good laugh though, keep it up.

How about injecting embryonic stem cells into your ears to make them as efficient/undamaged as day you are born 😉
This thread is filled with people talking about DAPs noone can buy yet! 🤪 No wonder they're measuring the EMI differential of 300MB of solid state RAM. 🙈

Users who are viewing this thread

Back