SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 30, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #3,496 of 15,986
Since I haven't seen block diagram of WM1Z internal design, how much is there of an overlap between SE and BAL ckts? Typically, on many other DAPs, SE is a subset of BAL, thus I don't bother to put as many hours of burn-in on SE as I do on BAL. And, most of my IEMs have 4.4mm terminated cables anyway. Got 60hrs on BAL now, mostly using iBasso burn-in load dongle, and on my way to get to 200hrs golden mark so I can start analyzing and comparing the sound. Thus curious if it will cover 3.5mm as well?
On Walkman , the balanced out is different than single ended out . You will need to burn in both

Apr 30, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #3,498 of 15,986
@Whitigir

Just a question, if assuming someone only uses the 4.4mm balanced jack for music playback.

is it necessary to burn in the 3.5mm jack? Will the unburn side cause any sound quality issues to the balanced end?
Not necessarily to burn in 3.5 if you don’t need it. The way S-Master HX is configured, it has 4 active signals, and when going toward balanced direct digital amplifications, it gets summed up to be L+, L- and R+, R-

On the SingleEnded , it is basically only using (2 signals) L+ and R+ , but the way Walkman uses Class D output, Sony has to configure another output (1/2 bridge) for the 3.5mm. This amplification circuitry is what needing the burn in, not the S-Master, as all 4 is already used from 4.4mm

Apr 30, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #3,499 of 15,986
Not necessarily to burn in 3.5 if you don’t need it. The way S-Master HX is configured, it has 4 active signals, and when going toward balanced direct digital amplifications, it gets summed up to be L+, L- and R+, R-

On the SingleEnded , it is basically only using (2 signals) L+ and R+ , but the way Walkman uses Class D output, Sony has to configure another output (1/2 bridge) for the 3.5mm. This amplification circuitry is what needing the burn in, not the S-Master, as all 4 is already used from 4.4mm

Vince, is there a block diagram of this?

Apr 30, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #3,500 of 15,986
Vince, is there a block diagram of this?
Found this only diagram from Sony that mentions BTL
11298004.jpeg

source:
https://today.line.me/tw/v2/article/3zELKr

Last edited:
May 1, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #3,502 of 15,986
Last edited:
May 1, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #3,503 of 15,986
@Whitigir

It seems that Direct Digital Class D Amps like S-Master HX is very sensitive to clock jitters, to the point where it can affect it's dynamic range and full scale THD performance.

https://www.edn.com/digital-input-c...aditional-class-d-and-simplify-system-design/

Jitter Tolerance and Clock Generation​

Digital-input Class D audio amplifiers do, admittedly, present a new challenge for clock jitter. For good audio quality most digital-input amplifiers require fairly low levels of jitter on BCLK or PDM_CLK. The jitter tolerance is often not quoted in the data sheet; when jitter tolerance is quoted, the typical specification is ~200ps of RMS jitter. High levels of clock jitter will typically degrade either the amplifier’s dynamic range or the full-scale THD+N performance.

Untitled.png

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/an-1071.pdf?fileId=5546d462533600a40153559538eb0ff1

May 1, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #3,506 of 15,986
@Whitigir

Just a question, if assuming someone only uses the 4.4mm balanced jack for music playback.

is it necessary to burn in the 3.5mm jack? Will the unburn side cause any sound quality issues to the balanced end?

I would at least make the statement that the 3.5mm on the original Signatures 1Z/1A offered a slightly alternate sound using the 3.5mm instead of 4.4mm. So it was nice to have for that.

The 3.5mm on the original series had a softer approach which appealed to some as their only way to go. The more contrasting 4.4mm was a totally different experience!

Last edited:
May 1, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #3,508 of 15,986
I had to pop into the Sony care section physically to inquire and order at the spare parts counter. Also ordered spare replacement cables for my IER-Z1R.
Much appreciated! :)

May 1, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #3,510 of 15,986

Users who are viewing this thread

Back