SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 23, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #2,911 of 15,710
Please kindly ignore this post if you have the fixed notion that Microsd cards CANNOT change the sound quality of a high quality music reproduction device.

Initial Impression of the Swissbit Industrial S-55u 256GB Microsd vs Sandisk Extreme Pro 256GB Microsd on a 190hour aged WM1AM2:

Both cards do offer better sound quality in comparison to the on-board storage of the WM1AM2, the main takeaway is a more Dynamic sound with more improved sound-staging using the microSD cards

Sandisk Extreme Pro has a very dynamic sound with quite alot of bass and very strong transient dynamics. Soundstage is very 3D-like. It is definitely an excellent sounding card in my books.

How is the Swissbit? I feel it is a step up from the Sandisk Extreme Pro. More resolving, more holographic, better soundstage imaging.

First listen gave me the impression of better clarity(less grain) and more resolution in the sound. The improved clarity is more evident in acoustic music which the instruments sounded even more transparent and silky smooth.

The Extreme Pro is already really very smooth and clear, however the Swissbit has a slight edge up in overall holographic feel. If comparing these two cards critically, I can't help but to notice a very slight grain to the sound on the Sandisk.

If listening to a complex music track with many instruments in the mix, the Swissbit has a better coherency/harmony to the sound. Not sure if it is related to jitter/timing or clarity, I just felt that I can hear individual instruments more clearly/easily on the Swissbit over the Extreme Pro.

Do note that the differences I mentioned above between these two microsd cards are less dramatic and rather subtle, there is much bigger differences for
Extreme Pro vs Internal Storage
Swissbit vs Internal Storage

I would think the Swissbit would make for an excellent sounding Microsd if the maximum size of 256GB is enough for your usage. The cost per GB for the Swissbit is 2 times higher than Sandisk Extreme Pro.

My Subjective Rating:
Swissbit S-55u 256GB: A++
Sandisk Extreme Pro 256GB: A+
1AM2 Walkman Internal Storage: B

FYI on this impression for those who heard differences in microsd:
@ttt123
@DJ Core
@TonyStarks
@ExpatinJapan
Have you tried Micron ? Give it a try, start with 256Gb , because below 256Gb is the older technologies

Apr 23, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #2,912 of 15,710
Thanks! I pulled the trigger already. It is an new item, not auctioned. Not many ship to US, got no choice but use a forwarder. I used PayPal, so there is protection We will see.
How much extra over price, and assume you will get duty charges when it arrives?

Apr 23, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #2,913 of 15,710
Have you tried Micron ? Give it a try, start with 256Gb , because below 256Gb is the older technologies
Wanted to try something different from what has been tested on headfi, so I went with swissbit over micron for this time.

Apr 23, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #2,914 of 15,710
PXL_20220417_090928165.jpg

Really impressed sounds of m2 with my gears. No going back to m1.

Apr 23, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #2,915 of 15,710
Wanted to try something different from what has been tested on headfi, so I went with swissbit over micron for this time.
I understand, the reason why I mentioned it was because I completely agreed with you to the impressions of the extreme - pro. The holography is something you mentioned, and the Micron not only bring in the holography but also the details, dynamic, it is the combination of both the Swiss and the Extreme Pro. (From similar views of the extreme pro in references to the Swiss)

The bass will be different, and if one love the Sandisk Bass and mid, the Edge is the best fit. The Micron is more neutral than the Edge which is more musical.

The one reason why I recommend the Micron to many people is because for the dollars per Gb spent, the Micron is of the best value. But honestly, the Edge is very preferred , unfortunately it cost as much as 1Tb Micron for only 400Gb

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #2,917 of 15,710
How much extra over price, and assume you will get duty charges when it arrives?
No duties for US. Not much over price: JPY 800 + 3700 (-1000 coupon), equivalent of USD 28

Apr 23, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #2,918 of 15,710
Haha! What I will say in short is that the 1ZM2 does indeed sound different than the 1ZM1. Remember how people tended to complain about how warm and slow the 1ZM1 is? I would say that the 1ZM2 is more dynamic and detailed. :)
Thanks. I was one of those people. Only availability of @MrWalkman mod to run a OG 1Z as a w1a meant I kept the 1z.
Because the 1z materials then added refinement to a brighter tuning rather than doubling down on "lushness"/ haze.

The fact the 1Z can be tweaked is incredibly important factor. Cheers again @MrWalkman

Apr 23, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #2,919 of 15,710

Users who are viewing this thread

Back