SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 23, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #2,927 of 15,986
Finished burning 200hrs on non-balanced for 1A. Currently at 220hrs.

Would have to say it’s seems unforgiving on Low res music

The mp3 that was ripped at 192kbps sounds muffled and veiled. It sounds better on my old ZX2

Now I have to re-rip to a minimum 320kbps

Apr 23, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #2,928 of 15,986

The mp3 that was ripped at 192kbps sounds muffled and veiled. It sounds better on my old ZX2

You should rip to lossless not lossy

Apr 23, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #2,929 of 15,986
I understand, the reason why I mentioned it was because I completely agreed with you to the impressions of the extreme - pro. The holography is something you mentioned, and the Micron not only bring in the holography but also the details, dynamic, it is the combination of both the Swiss and the Extreme Pro. (From similar views of the extreme pro in references to the Swiss)

The bass will be different, and if one love the Sandisk Bass and mid, the Edge is the best fit. The Micron is more neutral than the Edge which is more musical.

The one reason why I recommend the Micron to many people is because for the dollars per Gb spent, the Micron is of the best value. But honestly, the Edge is very preferred , unfortunately it cost as much as 1Tb Micron for only 400Gb
When I was using DX300, I went with Edge due to more musical. But for 1AM2, I am sticking with Micron.

Apr 23, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #2,932 of 15,986
It was something that was ripped like 15 - 20 years ago. Really feeling lazy to rip old albums again

Changed to flac like 7 years ago
I had to rerip over 2.000 cd’s to flac that originally were ripped to 320kb aac for the iPod Classic. It’s a huge job, especially getting the metadata and cover art right, took me a few years including ripping another 500 new cd’s

Apr 23, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #2,933 of 15,986
I had to rerip over 2.000 cd’s to flac that originally were ripped to 320kb aac for the iPod Classic. It’s a huge job, especially getting the metadata and cover art right, took me a few years including ripping another 500 new cd’s
I remember my big ripping sessions. Hard work at night 🤣. Now, every time I receive a new CD I rip it first before I listen to it 👍🏼. And, YES, it is rather senseless to use such nice DAPs for listening to tracks with lossy compression. I use FLAC level 5.

Apr 23, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #2,934 of 15,986
I remember my big ripping sessions. Hard work at night 🤣. Now, every time I receive a new CD I rip it first before I listen to it 👍🏼. And, YES, it is rather senseless to use such nice DAPs for listening to tracks with lossy compression. I use FLAC level 5.

Reminds me of my ripping... many months/years of CD ripping, but also over a 100 Minidiscs and Hi-MD's which were much harder work for metadata. Worth it in the end as now all on the NAS and backed up every month onto a 2nd HDD and also every year or so onto BD-R's for safe keeping. I'd be mortified if I lost my music collection. So many unique BBC Essential Mixes that can't be had anymore.

Apr 23, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #2,935 of 15,986

Have you tried using dsee ultimate for 192kbps mp3?

Apr 23, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #2,936 of 15,986
Hi guys, I already have the Fiio M15 DAP and it sounds amazing. I am not that happy with with the overall performance of Android with Fiio and I am a bit of a Sony fanboy. Does it make sense to change my DAP to WM1AM2? I use Thieaudio Monarch IEMs and Focal Clear headphones. I owned WM1A and liked it a lot but it lacked streaming capabilities so at some point in time I moved to Fiio M11 Pro and then to M15. I am just worried that Sony DAP will be a slight downgrade soundwise. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Apr 23, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #2,937 of 15,986
Hi guys, I already have the Fiio M15 DAP and it sounds amazing. I am not that happy with with the overall performance of Android with Fiio and I am a bit of a Sony fanboy. Does it make sense to change my DAP to WM1AM2? I use Thieaudio Monarch IEMs and Focal Clear headphones. I owned WM1A and liked it a lot but it lacked streaming capabilities so at some point in time I moved to Fiio M11 Pro and then to M15. I am just worried that Sony DAP will be a slight downgrade soundwise. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I really don't think it will be a downgrade soundwise, it's only that its power output is lower than the M15's.

Apr 23, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #2,938 of 15,986
You are contradicting yourself.

if you liked 1A a lot, then 1A M2 is technically an improved 1A....why worried about downgrade ?

Apr 23, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #2,939 of 15,986
I understand, the reason why I mentioned it was because I completely agreed with you to the impressions of the extreme - pro. The holography is something you mentioned, and the Micron not only bring in the holography but also the details, dynamic, it is the combination of both the Swiss and the Extreme Pro. (From similar views of the extreme pro in references to the Swiss)

The bass will be different, and if one love the Sandisk Bass and mid, the Edge is the best fit. The Micron is more neutral than the Edge which is more musical.

The one reason why I recommend the Micron to many people is because for the dollars per Gb spent, the Micron is of the best value. But honestly, the Edge is very preferred , unfortunately it cost as much as 1Tb Micron for only 400Gb
I have really scoured through tons of datasheets, website whitepapers and various other scientific papers on Microsd manufacturing, technology and implementations of the various manufacturers.

There's also other brands that produces Industrial Microsd that I have considered like Apacer, Greenliant, Flexxon.

The choice for Swissbit came down to it's website which has very detailed information about their quality controls and testing:
https://www.swissbit.com/en/blog/post/the-secret-of-swissbit-product-quality-part-i/
https://www.swissbit.com/en/blog/post/the-secret-of-swissbit-product-quality-part-ii/

This is the price difference:

In USD$
Sandisk Industrial IX QD342 256GB 3D TLC(?) $262.78
Apacer CV110-MSD 256GB 3D TLC $219.92
Sandisk Edge 256GB 3D TLC(?) $210.07 (out of stock, 20 weeks wait)
Swissbit S-55u (Industrial model, not Extended) 256GB 3D TLC: $151.15
Micron I300 256GB QLC $113.01
GreenLiant 256GB QLC $85.29

So you can see, the Swissbit is actually the lowest costing 3D TLC on the mouser site.
I would likely try out the Micron I300 in the future.

Just to share my insight into the Industrial Microsd cards after doing so much research into them:

These Industrial cards are used in the medical, military and financial sectors, so they must be able to store and retrieve data with extreme reliability and as well as able to operate in the harshest condition like in desert or inside automotive vehicle engine bay area or inside a search and rescue drone flying in the winter.

Conformal Coating which resist corrosion and humidity (though some consumer professional cards have them too)
Wider working temperatures (right down to -40 degrees Celsius)
EMI and Vibration tested
Better data protection against sudden Power failure
More powerful Error Correction Engine, normal consumer grade cards usually uses BCH error correction, more advanced industrial cards uses LDPC (like Micron)
Better Wear Leveling implementation which means the card can last longer for intensive writes
Software Health Monitoring Tool (some brands)
More thicker Gold coating for pinouts, exceeding the standard SDA spec of 10,000 insertions. Some cards like Swissbit is spec to 20,000 Insertions.

So how does all these affect the sound quality of the walkman? To be honest, I don't know exactly. Your guess is as good as mine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back