SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 22, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #2,881 of 15,986
It costs less than high-end IEMs/heafphones or even high-end IEM cables, so I guess for those who can afford and buy all that other gear, the 1ZM2 is just another link in their chain.
Absolutely. And this has nothing to with the overall quality or substantial value of the product. It's a mental thing 😉

Apr 22, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #2,882 of 15,986
Absolutely. And this has nothing to with the overall quality or substantial value of the product. It's a mental thing 😉
Value is relative, and I'd argue the quality, while maybe not justifying the cost for most, generally exceeds that of lower-priced products. Whether or not the difference in quality - and there is a difference - is worth it, is for each of us to decide. Lord knows there are far more expensive and extravagant hobbies than this one! 😉

Apr 22, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #2,883 of 15,986
Given the global production slowdown and raw material supply issues leading to product stock shortages. It won’t be so easy for one to get to hear the Walkman at their local stores or to even buy one readily.

I believe some of us here are unable to audition the product first hand and have to blindly place their pre-orders without actual audition. They have to rely on reviews and opinions on the internet to make do with.
Right! I guess only very few of us are actually able to test such units with their own HPs/IEMs. I'm not sure about all the different national regulations for online sales. But, if you can order and test it for a week or so and return it without any reason, there's hardly any risk.
But... IMHO... any written or audible comparison done by others may lead you to a completely wrong direction. Hearing is such a complex thing depending on so many factors.

Apr 22, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #2,884 of 15,986
Value is relative, and I'd argue the quality, while maybe not justifying the cost for most, generally exceeds that of lower-priced products. Whether or not the difference in quality - and there is a difference - is worth it, is for each of us to decide. Lord knows there are far more expensive and extravagant hobbies than this one! 😉
I joined head-fi as a teenager. The 2-channel gear I had back then, not even adjusted for inflation, cost more than the total (not much admittedly, hahaha) mostly portable gear I own as of this moment. My golf habit spending blows away what I have spent on audio since I came back to head-fi almost two years ago after a 5+ year hiatus.

Apr 22, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #2,885 of 15,986
Buying a Z vs an A is like buying a good watch vs premium watch. They both do their function but your paying extra for desirability, materials, exclusivity, bragging rights etc.

If I was a wealthy person not concerned by weight of the DAP I'd likely go Z without a thought.

As a normal working class person I know a Z just isn't good value for money compared to the much lower price with marginal difference to the A beyond cosmetic.

Of course thats not knocking those that do go Z.

Apr 22, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #2,886 of 15,986
There's also an absolute value, namely all the effort and parts for a unit. This value/cost can be calculated quite easily. The higher the difference between the absolute and the relative/mental value the more ridiculous the price 😉. But, we know DAPs are an absolute niche product. And we can be happy that a number of manufacturers build such nice units. And as with all niche products they have to be financed by the manufacturers, somehow.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #2,887 of 15,986
Buying a Z vs an A is like buying a good watch vs premium watch. They both do their function but your paying extra for desirability, materials, exclusivity, bragging rights etc.

If I was a wealthy person not concerned by weight of the DAP I'd likely go Z without a thought.

As a normal working class person I know a Z just isn't good value for money compared to the much lower price with marginal difference to the A beyond cosmetic.

Of course thats not knocking those that do go Z.
Yada…Yoda… a modified 1A M2 will run circle around a stock 1Z M2 at cheaper pricing, and even more portable :wink:…the way I see it 😂. Because I care a lot about sound quality

Apr 22, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #2,888 of 15,986
Yada…Yoda… a modified 1A M2 will run circle around a stock 1Z M2 at cheaper pricing, and even more portable :wink:…the way I see it 😂. Because I care a lot about sound quality
But will a modified 1AM2 run circles around a modified 1ZM2, cost no object? 😉 I guess since 99.99% of people don't buy a Walkman with the view to modifying it, we'll never know.

Apr 22, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #2,891 of 15,986
With the increase in chassis size, I would think that the M2 Walkman makes for a better modding candidate over something smaller like the zx507 or even the older m1 Walkman.
The 1ZM2, by Sony's admission, is about as far as they could take their S-Master platform while keeping a similar footprint. I wonder to what degree the modding community will be able to take it even further in the coming years, given the current M1 mods take it approx up to M2 stock level, if I'm not mistaken.

Apr 22, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #2,892 of 15,986
It costs less than high-end IEMs/heafphones or even high-end IEM cables, so I guess for those who can afford and buy all that other gear, the 1ZM2 is just another link in their chain.
Indeed! As I jokingly said to a few fellow headfiers: I get both and its still cheaper than getting the PWA Orpheus. And this was the old price before the recent price hike! 😆

Apr 22, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #2,894 of 15,986
I’m thinking about importing a 1Z-M2 from Japan to try out and see how it compares to the N8ii 🤔
I’m thinking of importing WM1ZM2 from Japan as well. Just discovered Buyee.jp thanks to @rga02. Would like to see how it compares against DMP-1Z 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back