SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 4, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #1,771 of 15,987
Thanks, have you had chance to evaluate playing say Tidal with offline tracks (all wireless off) to determine battery life?
Not yet, but it's definitely something I want to test since I often use the offline feature for both Qobuz and Tidal. With wifi on, I noticed the battery draining faster, but I haven't done a whole cycle to know how much. I also need to check if I still have the audio garble with those apps using offline files. I suspect it won't but need to test.

Apr 4, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #1,772 of 15,987
Not yet, but it's definitely something I want to test since I often use the offline feature for both Qobuz and Tidal. With wifi on, I noticed the battery draining faster, but I haven't done a whole cycle to know how much. I also need to check if I still have the audio garble with those apps using offline files. I suspect it won't but need to test.

Look forward to your findings as I would be using either Amazon HD or Tidal offline.

Apr 4, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #1,773 of 15,987
Well its no big deal really as easy to cancel Amazon pre-orders in UK and they don't take money until despatch, and dead easy to return too.

One thing that does give some hope on Sony UK website for the WM1A/ZM2 is it does mention high gain while it doesn't for the previous versions or the ZX507

Headphone Out (Stereo mini-jack)​

FREQUENCY20-40,000 Hz
MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT (JEITA 16Ω/MW)60mW+60mW (High Gain)

Headphone Out (Balanced standard-jack)​

FREQUENCY20-40,000 Hz
MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT (JEITA 16Ω/MW)250mW+250mW (High Gain)

ZX500 series on Sony UK website by comparrison (No high gain mentioned)

Headphone Out (Stereo mini-jack)​

FREQUENCY20-40,000 Hz
MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT (JEITA 16Ω/MW)0.4-1.1mW (32Ω)

Headphone Out (Balanced standard-jack)​

FREQUENCY20-40,000 Hz
MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT (JEITA 16Ω/MW)0.4-1.1mW (32Ω) (for stereo mini-jack)

Why the values show massively different? 0.4-1.1mw vs 60mW+60mW

Guess we'll have to wait and see. The UK manual has high gain in it but caveated twice, one for region and second for future updates:

Screenshot_20220404-134849_PDF Extra.jpg

Apr 4, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #1,776 of 15,987
Guess we'll have to wait and see. The UK manual has high gain in it but caveated twice, one for region and second for future updates:

Screenshot_20220404-134849_PDF Extra.jpg
I would be VERY surprised if the cap isen’t in place for units sold in EU and UK

Apr 4, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #1,777 of 15,987
It's rather strange but all Sony European sites mention high gain.

Apr 5, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #1,782 of 15,987
I would be VERY surprised if the cap isen’t in place for units sold in EU and UK
This is what I found going through the DK Sony website, unfortunately the help guide is only in English

Attachments

• NW-WM1AM2_NW-WM1ZM2 _ Help Guide _ Volu...ce with European and Korean Directives.pdf
    48.1 KB · Views: 0
Apr 5, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #1,783 of 15,987
I'm also afraid that the volume limitation is still active for Europe. By consulting the online help of the WM1A and the WM1AM2, the description is practically the same:

WM1A (translated French version):
"The volume may be low if you use headphones. In this case, change the output setting to [High Gain Output]. To change the setting, tap the menu items in the following order.
– [Settings] – [Output Settings] ([Basic Settings]) – [High Gain Output] ([Headphone Output]).
Next, tap the appropriate item for the headphones you're using. (The menu item is only available on models sold in certain countries or regions.)"

WM1AM2 (translated French version):
"The volume may be low if you are using headphones. In this case, change the output setting to High Gain.
Press (Options) (5) to display the High Gain output panel. Next, tap the button next to the type of headphone jack you're using. (The menu item may not be available in some countries or regions.)"

So the online help already mentioned high gain for the WM1A, yet this option was not available in Europe.

European distributors are generally content to copy word for word the general characteristics and specifications published by Sony, without taking into account the volume limitation for Europe.

Apr 5, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #1,785 of 15,987
Looks like a wait for more Amazon Japan stock and I've cancelled the Amazon UK pre-order

I asked question on Amazon and Sony replied :slight_frown:

Q). Will this be volume capped for Europe with no High Gain like earlier models?

A). Yes, we recommend checking the Volume operation in compliance with European Directives here: http://bit.do/fT4C6. (Copy and paste the link in your browser).

Sony support UK
default._CR0,0,1024,1024_SX48_.png

Sony S.
Manufacturer · 05 April 2022

So same as Rusty82 posted.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back