SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 25, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #1,336 of 15,558
I have heard the MDR-Z1R on the 1AM2. I think these two has really great sound synergy. It’s one of the rare semi-closed headphones with such great spacious soundstage. The 1AM2 is able to create an amazing sound scape and imaging on the Z1R.

I think the most important thing is do the 360RA ear photo scan if you haven’t done so. It will greatly improve the spatial sound imaging of your MDR-Z1R on both your ZX507 and your new WM1A2 .
Please keep in mind, that there is also an MDR-1AM2, I've seen misunderstandings rising in several places.

Maybe AM2 is the better term to address the DAP as it is WM1, A, M2, but not sure if this really makes things easier.

Sony's naming is pretty complex^^

Mar 25, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #1,337 of 15,558
Oh this is great to know, MDR-Z1R is my all time favorite headphone, listening to them right now :)
I am worried about the bass. Shure seems to have hit the sweet spot.

Mar 25, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #1,338 of 15,558
I am worried about the bass. Shure seems to have hit the sweet spot.
I’m not a bass head but I love the bass from both Z1R phones. I listen to everything but mostly classical, jazz and blues.

Mar 25, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #1,339 of 15,558
I’m not a bass head but I love the bass from both Z1R phones. I listen to everything but mostly classical, jazz and blues.
Check this track on the Z1R, sounds amazing on them.

Mar 25, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #1,345 of 15,558
Please keep in mind, that there is also an MDR-1AM2, I've seen misunderstandings rising in several places.

Maybe AM2 is the better term to address the DAP as it is WM1, A, M2, but not sure if this really makes things easier.

Sony's naming is pretty complex^^
MDR-1AM2
WM1AM2
MDR-Z1R
IER-Z1R

Thanks Sony!

Mar 25, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #1,346 of 15,558
Very detailed article, worth a read
https://kakakumag-com.translate.goo...uto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

There were some worrisome factors, such as the adoption of Android OS and the same model number (CXD3778GF) for the S-Master HX (headphone output section), but those worries disappeared just by listening. In particular, the "NW-WM1AM2" had a much higher quality than its predecessor, and it was able to listen to a polite and detailed sound. Thanks to this, the sound of the piano is a stress-free and relaxed expression, and the female vocals also let you hear a natural singing voice with a relaxed shoulder. It should be said that it is a neutral tendency as a whole, but it is a decent expression that is comfortable to listen to, although it is sharp but not flashy. It goes great with vocals and acoustic instruments.

Also, I was impressed by the high driving force that makes the headphones sound firmly and the low distortion. In particular, it was an excellent match with the Sony "MDR-Z7M2", and it had a lively sound that I couldn't think of directly from the DAP. By the way, I listened to it with other headphones made by the same company, but it goes well with the "MDR-Z1R", and with the "MDR-1AM2", the ability of the "NW-WM1AM2" has won and it has become a regrettable sound. Was there. With other companies' products, it goes well with Audio-Technica "ATH-ADX5000", and you can hear a well-balanced sound with the sharpness of the high range reborn as a slightly more modest and neutral band expression, and HIFIMAN "Deva Pro" is also quite comfortable to listen to. It made a good sound.

Next, listen to "NW-WM1ZM2". Until you actually listen, "NW-WM1AM2" is enough, or "NW-WM1AM2" including cospa is good! I thought, but unfortunately the actors are different. You can enjoy the sound of dynamic intonation expression with a clear view due to the good SN feeling that has been significantly improved even compared to the predecessor. The basic sound character is not so different from "NW-WM1AM2", but the extension and purity of the high range, the focus feeling of the low range are definitely improved, and the music becomes more impressive and attractive sound. There is. I wonder if the benefits of the pure copper body are great, and when I hear this sound, I want to raise the rank of "NW-WM1ZM2".

In addition, it goes well with headphones, and when combined with the "MDR-Z1R", the feeling of spatial expanse is further increased, and the localization is fixed. This tendency is the same even if the headphones are replaced with "ATH-ADX5000", and it can be seen that the sound field expression is very precise. For those who want to enjoy themselves outdoors with headphones, the "NW-WM1ZM2" is a good choice.

However, the sound of "NW-WM1AM2" is also very attractive. There is a pure difference between the two in terms of SN feeling and sound precision, but with low impedance earphones, the difference between the two may not be so noticeable. As for cost performance, "NW-WM1AM2" is overwhelming, so even if you choose "NW-WM1AM2" depending on your budget, you should be quite satisfied.

It can be said that it is a product that can be satisfied regardless of which one you choose, because of its dramatically improved sound quality, convenience due to the adoption of Android OS, and improved usability. The only thing I would like you to call a Streaming Walkman is to have a built-in SIM, but let's expect that in the next generation or the successor to the "ZX500" series.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #1,347 of 15,558
MDR-1AM2
WM1AM2
MDR-Z1R
IER-Z1R

Thanks Sony!
Yes!!! I would also add the classic MDR-G52LP, a icon from the late 90s and early 2000s; I still have mine. Thei current line up of wireless headphones are also amazing, the 1000xM4 line. There's already a few reviews on youtube from Japan, I liked this one:

Mar 25, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #1,348 of 15,558
For those who are testing out the new M2 walkmans, I highly recommend this album as part of your arsenal. Just hear it for yourself.

The album has really great mastering and has tons of positional sound details. In my opinion the album will really test the performance capabilities of the Walkman(or any other dap) and as well as your headphone and iems.

You can buy the high res 24bit tracks from bandcamp for a token price.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #1,349 of 15,558
For those who are testing out the new M2 walkmans, I highly recommend this album as part of your arsenal. Just hear it for yourself.

The album has really great mastering and has tons of positional sound details. In my opinion the album will really test the performance capabilities of the Walkman(or any other dap) and as well as your headphone and iems.

You can buy the high res 24bit tracks from bandcamp for a token price.

I personally test it with
Nier : Snow in Summer (Orchestra version)
Genshi Yonezu : Umi No Yurei
Namie Amuro : Can you Celebrate
30 Seconds to Mars : The Kill
DJ Okawari : Your Love
Random Daft Punk
Fire Bomber : Holy Lonely Night
Tarou Hakase : Jyonetsu Tairiku

Yeah...towards Japanese stuff but I usually do my listening testing with those, if anyone wants to follow my suit =P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back