SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 25, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #1,306 of 15,684
Is that a gold logo on by the walkman's bottom front? Not sure how I feel about that, the ones on the old 1A is just reflective W so it stand out way less.

Mar 25, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #1,307 of 15,684
E32270AE-6ED8-4567-BFB3-506BB9E55159.jpeg

This is the headphone app device profile selection which I was talking about in the previous post.

Mar 25, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #1,308 of 15,684
Just for your info, the new Walkman should likely have the same Hi-Res Audio driver support(Bit Perfect) on the USB Audio Player Pro android app too like how it is on the Walkman ZX507/A105.

It can serve as alternate music player app to the Sony Walkman Music App. There’s some sound signature differences between these two apps as I have heard them on my ZX507.
With Sony Music App you mean one can switch to music mode only like Fiio M15 etc offers. So it becomes from the UX experience like the WM1A?

When doing so, it deactivates the Android OS and activates 100% Sony'w own OS which ultimate does not need to bypass any Android standard driver?

Mar 25, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #1,309 of 15,684
With Sony Music App you mean one can switch to music mode only like Fiio M15 etc offers. So it becomes from the UX experience like the WM1A?

When doing so, it deactivates the Android OS and activates 100% Sony'w own OS which ultimate does not need to bypass any Android standard driver?
The Sony music app still resides as an android app, just that it has special direct hardware driver access to the S-Master HX amp with support for bit perfect playback and as well as Native DSD playback. It has the same UX experience as the WM1A and is faster too.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #1,310 of 15,684
The Sony music app still resides as an android app, just that it has special hardware driver access to the S-Master HX amp with support for bit perfect playback and as well as Native DSD playback. It has the same UX experience as the WM1A and is faster too.
That sounds good. After changing so many DAPs, the original UX and player of the WM1A / 1Z is simply the best by far.

Mar 25, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #1,311 of 15,684
About the WM1ZM2 vs WM1AM2

I find the 1ZM2 to have warm coloration as compared to the neutral sounding 1AM2.

1ZM2 has a thicker and smoother sound, both the low and high frequencies seems tamed and relaxed and doesn’t have the same visceral bass impact as the 1AM2, which also has a more airy treble and sharper transients.

If you like your music to sound analogue or DSD like, go for the 1ZM2. Its relaxed presentation will suit those seeking a lounge like sound.

For myself I still find the 1AM2 to sound more enjoyable as it has a more exciting sound presentation, with more visceral transients and more high frequency information.

Mar 25, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #1,312 of 15,684
@Sonywalkmanuser

From what you describe, I think I should propably like the 1ZM2 more, but you know, each perceives sound differently. Even here, people who have already listened to both devices wrote that it is the 1AM2 that has a warmer sound, and the 1ZM2 is more neutral :) Anyway, I can't afford the gold version anyway, so I don't have a dilemma which one to buy :)

Mar 25, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #1,313 of 15,684
@Sonywalkmanuser

From what you describe, I think I should propably like the 1ZM2 more, but you know, each perceives sound differently. Even here, people who have already listened to both devices wrote that it is the 1AM2 that has a warmer sound, and the 1ZM2 is more neutral :) Anyway, I can't afford the gold version anyway, so I don't have a dilemma which one to buy :)
I am not sure, maybe it is my IER-M9 has something to do with how I hear the colouration. I am always in the view that every one has differences in how we sense things like vision, smell, taste and touch. Also I am running with Sony DSP enhancements switched on vs others who may run on Direct Source Mode On which will be another type of sound all together.

I try my best to give more detailed sound description to what I am hearing and don’t assume that what I prefer is what others will like as well.

I am glad that I prefer the sound of the 1AM2 if not my wallet will be a lot more lighter.. sorry about your wallet though if you decide to get the 1ZM2… haha

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #1,314 of 15,684
Anyway the MDR-Z1R(demo unit at Sony store) sounds so amazing on the WM1ZM2&1AM2. The entire sound frequency feels so balanced. It has a silky smooth mid range that is very relaxing to listen to, the soundstage is super spacious. The bass is very deep and well controlled. Really worth a listen for those visiting Sony Singapore Stores to listen to WM1M2. Do remember to select the MDR-Z1R profile in the headphone app.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #1,316 of 15,684
Mar 25, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #1,317 of 15,684
Is that a gold logo on by the walkman's bottom front? Not sure how I feel about that, the ones on the old 1A is just reflective W so it stand out way less.
Yes but I think its a subtle change that I really like. From a simple silver one to a slightly more flashy gold one. I wish my WM1Z had a gold walkman logo in front with the WM1A having a silver one to denote the 2 tiers.

Mar 25, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #1,318 of 15,684
I am not sure, maybe it is my IER-M9 has something to do with how I hear the colouration. I am always in the view that every one has differences in how we sense things like vision, smell, taste and touch. Also I am running with Sony DSP enhancements switched on vs others who may run on Direct Source Mode On which will be another type of sound all together.

I try my best to give more detailed sound description to what I am hearing and don’t assume that what I prefer is what others will like as well.

I am glad that I prefer the sound of the 1AM2 if not my wallet will be a lot more lighter.. sorry about your wallet though if you decide to get the 1ZM2… haha
No, no, no, I'am waiting for my 1AM2 to be delivered, decision made :). For the last month since I placed my 1AM2 pre-order, I had a dilemma for a moment whether to cancel it and go all the way and buy 1ZM2, but soon my common sense won out and I gave it up. It's too much money for me for a music player. I hope my MDR-Z1R with 1AM2 will also pair great, just like with my zx507.

Mar 25, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #1,319 of 15,684
That sounds good. After changing so many DAPs, the original UX and player of the WM1A / 1Z is simply the best by far.
By the way, it is also possible to further optimise and speed up the WM1M2 android operating system by removing bloatware like Google app and etc that is not necessary for music playback. It is also likely that by removing the preinstalled android bloatware apps, you improve sound quality as there is less background processing(who knows what the Google spyware is collecting about you all the time)

Also the UI gets even faster if you switch from Google software keyboard to Microsoft swift keyboard.

I will post a updated tweak guide once my WM1A2 arrives, but you can always view the tweak guide for the zx507 in my signature for a reference of what the tweak is about.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #1,320 of 15,684
No, no, no, I'am waiting for my 1AM2 to be delivered, decision made :). For the last month since I placed my 1AM2 pre-order, I had a dilemma for a moment whether to cancel it and go all the way and buy 1ZM2, but soon my common sense won out and I gave it up. It's too much money for me for a music player. I hope my MDR-Z1R with 1AM2 will also pair great, just like with my zx507.
I have heard the MDR-Z1R on the 1AM2. I think these two has really great sound synergy. It’s one of the rare semi-closed headphones with such great spacious soundstage. The 1AM2 is able to create an amazing sound scape and imaging on the Z1R.

I think the most important thing is do the 360RA ear photo scan if you haven’t done so. It will greatly improve the spatial sound imaging of your MDR-Z1R on both your ZX507 and your new WM1A2 .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back