SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 17, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #572 of 15,604
Is there a chance for an A65 to come or should I get an A55 just in case they discontinue the non-Android series altogether 🤔?
As I already posted: coming straight from a Sony product rep. There will be no more Linux based (A55) DAP's coming from Sony. Sony is pushing their music streaming service which won't run on the Linux based OS. Even though Sony's streaming site is only in Asia the market outside of Asia simply isn't big enough to support a non-streaming Sony DAP like an A65.

I would go ahead and pickup an A55 now because Sony has stopped producing them so the units still on the market are the last units available. Sony stopped producing the A55 when they started producing the A105 successor to the A55.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #574 of 15,604
How % of the WM1A experience will I get with with the A55? Never had a Sony player before and thinking that the A55 might give me a bit of a taste and then I can decide whether to go full on with the WM1A.
A fair bit, especially with the MrWalkman fw. I might never have bought the 1Z if I had had the A55 with MrWalkman fw 5 1/2 years ago (though no doubt the 1Z is clearly better when directly compared).

Feb 17, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #575 of 15,604
The thing about HD tracks is if you lose your data its gone. They dont provide additional downloads after the purchase window so it is important to back up your audio files on your own hdds. from their own FAQ " This is why we ask that our customers back up their files. " they should call it HDD tracksUntitled.png
HDTracks is my last resort store for this reason and price (generally the highest).

Presto will sell you everything Classical and Jazz for much less, and you can re-download as much as you need to. 7Digital is my go-to for pop and rock. They also allow re-downloads.

Feb 17, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #576 of 15,604
HDTracks is my last resort store for this reason and price (generally the highest).

Presto will sell you everything Classical and Jazz for much less, and you can re-download as much as you need to. 7Digital is my go-to for pop and rock. They also allow re-downloads.
I like that HDtracks offers DSD and AIFF in multiple resolutions. Yes I know FLAC is lossless but I like to have the raw format for my home system and then convert to the resolution I want for the DAP and car. Also I only buy from them when they have sales for older and new releases. I also practice safe computing and have multiple backups of the downloads.

Feb 17, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #577 of 15,604
I like that HDtracks offers DSD and AIFF in multiple resolutions. Yes I know FLAC is lossless but I like to have the raw format for my home system and then convert to the resolution I want for the DAP and car. Also I only buy from them when they have sales for older and new releases. I also practice safe computing and have multiple backups of the downloads.
I do have some DSDs from HDTracks that I like (Thriller and Mingus Ah Um). I don't hate them, and have some very nice recordings from them, it's just always my third choice.

I will admit to having become something of a Nyquist Believer of late, though, so HDTracks is even less appealing for those reasons. :cd::beerchug::cd:

As far as backup, I do 4 copies of everything - 1 for each DAP (1tb and 512gb cards), one removable SSD for work, and one HDD for cold storage.

Feb 17, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #578 of 15,604

I was unaware of them. I will check it out.

Feb 17, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #579 of 15,604
Here are some brief impressions of post-burn in 1ZM2 I found on twitter: https://tecstaff.jp/2022-02-17_wm-1zm2_review.html

It just seems like the 1ZM2 sounds 'more realistic' but I'm personally wondering which one is tuned best for female vocals and electronic music (like kpop). I have a feeling that's more of what the 1AM2 is going for…

Feb 17, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #580 of 15,604
I still have my own tracks (FLAC or DSD) if I'm really into the music/artist but you can't beat new music discovery and the vast library via streaming services. Can even have it streamed live, bit-perfect most likely in UAPP with Tidal.
I just use bandcamp.com and YouTube on the laptop. Then I download whatever I like.

Feb 17, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #581 of 15,604
As a user of the NW-WM1A without any mods, I think that moving to Android just to have streaming services, which will have to be routed through a wi-fi connection (either mobile or fixed), is not a route that I want to follow, specially since I already have most of the music that I liked and sometimes delve into YouTube to find new music, which even as I connect my player as a DAP is not as satisfying as the music stored in your device (yes, I know that Tidal and other services have better quality audio, but this is subject to the quality of your connection and the receiving system) so in the end I am quite satisfied with my player and I think that there's not a really incredible incentive to move to the new players, except the possibility to have the streaming services inside your player. On the other hand, Android means that the system is blocked so user based innovation will be halted and region differences will become permanent, which is not good, specially when you try to use items like the remote control, which is only possible on the JP or E zones...

Feb 17, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #582 of 15,604
As I already posted: coming straight from a Sony product rep. There will be no more Linux based (A55) DAP's coming from Sony. Sony is pushing their music streaming service which won't run on the Linux based OS. Even though Sony's streaming site is only in Asia the market outside of Asia simply isn't big enough to support a non-streaming Sony DAP like an A65.

I would go ahead and pickup an A55 now because Sony has stopped producing them so the units still on the market are the last units available. Sony stopped producing the A55 when they started producing the A105 successor to the A55.
Mora version of Tidal? That service ended. Or is there a newer one?

Feb 17, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #583 of 15,604
Here are some brief impressions of post-burn in 1ZM2 I found on twitter: https://tecstaff.jp/2022-02-17_wm-1zm2_review.html

It just seems like the 1ZM2 sounds 'more realistic' but I'm personally wondering which one is tuned best for female vocals and electronic music (like kpop). I have a feeling that's more of what the 1AM2 is going for…
Also saw this a few days ago as well as a sort of Twitter digest of people who tried it either at Yodobashi Camera or at the Sony store. But I'm waiting for more numerous and detailed reviews and will go try it anyway.

But really I know I won't use streaming and I wonder which would be better as un upgrade from my current ZX507, the original WM1Z or the M2.

Feb 17, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #584 of 15,604

If it's kpop, I'm going to say AM2

Feb 17, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #585 of 15,604
Mora version of Tidal? That service ended. Or is there a newer one?

I don't live in Asia so I have no idea, just passing on info from Sony rep. He is a North American rep so I don't know how knowledgeable about the Sony service he is. But he should be knowledgeable about what Sony products will be sold here and linux base DAP's are a no go after the A55 sales lifespan is over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back