SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 17, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #556 of 15,688
Mine is also 2019-05. May be that was the last time they sent the 1Zs to Singapore, unlike my 1A which is 2021-08.
I have been thinking about the the difference between the mk 1's and the mk 2's. We bought the mk 1 right before it's discontinued but I don't feel missing out anything at all. It won't be the same for the mk 2's though. After 3-4 years the Android OS will be outdated and may not run streaming software anymore. The experience between people who buy the mk 2's now thus can be quite different from the people who buy these years later because of that.
It comes with Android 11 so I see that supported for well over 5 years. Even then, can still use as just an offline Music player with own files, same as current Mk1.

Slow CPU should still be fine for just music apps. I'd never use it as a general Android browsing/gaming/movie device anyway.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #557 of 15,688
The provided case does have it’s idiosyncrasies. Though the fact the 10 pin is covered is in a way protecting the 10 pin. The buttons not covered allow for use when the case is closed, also allows moisture to evaporate from that button area. The wearing off of finish is an oversight! But the case fits in the cradle still while on! It also protects the screen well. I guess it depends what your after?
The wearing off of finish is not just an oversight, its a massive oversight for something that is gold plated.

Indeed, I am after maximum protection of my investment. While I would consider a leather case, in Singapore's humid and warm climate, a leather case sadly just doesn't last. Additionally, many WM1Z cases are now out of print to ramp up production for M2 cases so I am stuck with but glad to use PVC cases from China.

Feb 17, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #558 of 15,688
It comes with Android 11 so I see that supported for well over 5 years. Even then, can still use as just an offline Music player with own files, same as current Mk1.

Slow CPU should still be fine for just music apps. I'd never use it as a general Android browsing/gaming/movie device anyway.
Let's hope for the sake of Walkman's posterity that you are proven right.

Feb 17, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #559 of 15,688
So with all of this talk about Japan and UK preorders do we know anything yet about USA preorders and suggested prices?
I expected Moon Audio to have it already but sadly, there is not even a whisper coming out of Tokyo about the US market. Sorry for your loss m8.

For a market as big as the USA, I am frankly shocked and amazed that I have seen its price in SGD, HKD, JPY, MYR and even Chinese Yuan but not USD.

Feb 17, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #560 of 15,688
I literally bought a device that has been sitting in the box for 3 years, designed 6 years ago but thanks Sato-san's sweat and tears as well as the team that wrote WalkmanOS, it feels like just yesterday that my WM1Z was launched.
Well, the act of listening to music exists outside the dimension of time. While the efforts of design and technology are truly of the moment, only to be pounced upon by progress. Still there was a dream and a goal that was reached with the MK1s. Even if still not 100% perfect, the players are and will be an enigma.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #561 of 15,688
Well, the act of listening to music lays outside the dimension of time. While the efforts of design and technology are truly of the moment, only to be pounced upon by progress. Still there was a dream and a goal that was reached with the MK1s. Even if still not 100% perfect, the players are and will be an enigma.
Indeed, the secret juices of the Mk1 now flows in the Mk2. We only know it by its scientific name "CXD-3778GF" or its street name S-Master HX. We know not why it makes music so nice but we know that with it, music really is nice.

Feb 17, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #562 of 15,688
Offline storage of streamed service. No need to go back online for 30 days or so.
I usually just go to hdtracks.com. I have everything on about 4 or 5 hard drives backed up

Feb 17, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #563 of 15,688
Indeed, the secret juices of the Mk1 now flows in the Mk2. We only know it by its scientific name "CXD-3778GF" or its street name S-Master HX. We know not why it makes music so nice but we know that with it, music really is nice.
One time in the middle of the night I went into the closet to put on a pair of shoes. Of course I remembered how they fit, still I wanted to feel them again? Small pleasures are often such a spectacle.

Feb 17, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #564 of 15,688
The thing about HD tracks is if you lose your data its gone. They dont provide additional downloads after the purchase window so it is important to back up your audio files on your own hdds. from their own FAQ " This is why we ask that our customers back up their files. " they should call it HDD tracks Untitled.png

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #565 of 15,688
The thing about HD tracks is if you lose your data its gone. They dont provide additional downloads after the purchase window so it is important to back up your audio files on your own hdds. from their own FAQ " This is why we ask that our customers back up their files. " they should call it HDD tracks
I have 8 separate 12TB hard drives with the identical files backed up. Two are in my locker at work, which acts like a Faraday cage, three are in my fireproof safe, two are in a safe deposit vault, and one is always with me. I learned my lesson well when a drive crashed; I had to rip hundreds of CDs AGAIN.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #566 of 15,688
The thing about HD tracks is if you lose your data its gone. They dont provide additional downloads after the purchase window so it is important to back up your audio files on your own hdds. from their own FAQ " This is why we ask that our customers back up their files. " they should call it HDD tracksUntitled.png
As an individual from Japan, may I ask if you use mora.jp? I often find myself using VPNs to access and buy Anisongs and fav Jpop tracks from mora.jp.

Feb 17, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #568 of 15,688
I usually just go to hdtracks.com. I have everything on about 4 or 5 hard drives backed up
I still have my own tracks (FLAC or DSD) if I'm really into the music/artist but you can't beat new music discovery and the vast library via streaming services. Can even have it streamed live, bit-perfect most likely in UAPP with Tidal.

Feb 17, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #569 of 15,688
Ive actually been using ototoy. Have you seen how they sell new albums at 24/48 or 24/96?
Interesting. I have heard of E-Onkyo but not this. Thank you for sharing. I came to know Mora cos it was featured on Sony's Japan website.

Edit: And you can choose to have it in WAV as well????? Why am I only now hearing about this? Thank you random kind Japanese man on the internet, may you have many more 大盛り牛丼

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #570 of 15,688
Well, the act of listening to music exists outside the dimension of time. While the efforts of design and technology are truly of the moment, only to be pounced upon by progress. Still there was a dream and a goal that was reached with the MK1s. Even if still not 100% perfect, the players are and will be an enigma.
Deep

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back