SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 10, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #154 of 15,612
Re: the android concern…

Let's say that I'm just going to be listening to my own music files via the Sony Walkman app.
And let's say I'm doing so with the Wi-Fi and cellular turned off.

In this case, is it really a negative that these new daps have android?
No, but it's not a benefit to you either and you could save a lot of money by buying one of the old models. I kind of doubt these sound $2000 better.

Feb 10, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #156 of 15,612
No, but it's not a benefit to you either and you could save a lot of money by buying one of the old models. I kind of doubt these sound $2000 better.
I tought it was more like $3-500 more than the msrp of the old models

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #158 of 15,612
I tought it was more like $3-500 more that the msrp of the old models
It is confirmed to be 1000 SGD difference in Singapore market, so yes about 500-700 usd.

Feb 10, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #159 of 15,612
Yes. You can get the WM1Z for about 200,000 yen used and they want 400,000 for the new one. In terms of new they're around 300,000 yen, so only a 100,000 difference, but still.
False economy that. You can only compare new for new. But from a buyer's perspective, I do get your point. Same reason I don't buy IEMs or headphones new, but DAPs are a different matter. Buying a 5-year-old DAP is very different to buying a 5-year-old IEM or headphone in terms of tech.

Feb 10, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #161 of 15,612
I honestly don't think this will gonna be a good product.
Based on the SoC spec from the Japanese website, in general, any Android machine runs on that 4x Cortex A53 little cores plus a very powerless GPU cannot really satisfy any apps developed majorly based on flagship SoCs.
I own a WM1Z and after finding that the SoC is far weaker than my imagination of the engineer's choice, I will keep my WM1Z!

Feb 10, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #162 of 15,612
False economy that. You can only compare new for new. But from a buyer's perspective, I do get your point. Same reason I don't buy IEMs or headphones new, but DAPs are a different matter. Buying a 5-year-old DAP is very different to buying a 5-year-old IEM or headphone in terms of tech.
When it comes to WM1Z/A, it isn't.
They are technically still better than many.

Feb 10, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #163 of 15,612
Huge disappointment seeing it running Android, but I guess that's probably all DAPs' future in a couple years.

I have to say MDR-Z1R paired with WM1Z was pretty mediocre at best. Maybe Sony should update their headphone line ASAP as well.
Instead of updating the MDR-Z1R they should replace the crappy silver plated copper cable with a pure copper or silver one.

Feb 10, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #165 of 15,612
It runs android just fine.
If Sony has not made it clear to everyone then I'll say it: This is a Walkman and not a gaming device or business multitasking device. The app responsiveness was fluid. There were no delays between moving in and out of apps. As it was shown in the video, DSD remastering and high resolution audio is only available within the Sony apps. The device will automatically switch between balanced and unbalanced depending on which input is being used, but only the Official Sony apps can take advantage of DSEE or the DSD remastering engine to S-Master HX amplification
Then why do they note in either the description or help pages about running games? They don't say don't or you shouldn't. They discuss limitations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back