SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 10, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #136 of 15,612
This is a pretty weak processor for running Android, but OK...

https://www.nxp.com/part/MIMX8ML8DVNLZAB#/

It runs android just fine.
If Sony has not made it clear to everyone then I'll say it: This is a Walkman and not a gaming device or business multitasking device. The app responsiveness was fluid. There were no delays between moving in and out of apps. As it was shown in the video, DSD remastering and high resolution audio is only available within the Sony apps. The device will automatically switch between balanced and unbalanced depending on which input is being used, but only the Official Sony apps can take advantage of DSEE or the DSD remastering engine to S-Master HX amplification

In the live stream yesterday Sony said they requested the GPS module removed from the SoC so it would not interfere with playback, I'm assuming this is why they went with this particular SoC because the chip manufacturer would actually accommodate that for them with a small MOQ, whereas going with Qualcomm Qualcomm would just laugh and show them the door.

Feb 10, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #137 of 15,612
In general the idea of the original NW-WM1A/Z was that the NW-WM1Z was a bit warmer than the 1A.
to run the WM1Z with Z1Rs - it needs @MrWalkman Firmware running a version of the W1A's profile - for me.

The details that are 'through a glass darkly' are suddenly revealed - but you get the benefits of the hardware warmth including kimber - which really is a holographic-like the presentation of vocals - of being able to visualize the singer in front of you.

The inability to mod the M2s software to modify the sound profile is an unintended/intended wrecking ball for me.

Pretty sure the Walkman engineers read these threads (being fellow sound/music nerds) so it might be deliberate ....to stop @MrWalkman playing with their expensive toys...

Feb 10, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #138 of 15,612
I think we should wait for actual listening impressions of the new Walkmans before casting aspersions on how they're going to sound. Especially since Sony have already suggested the new 1A and 1Z are tuned the same, unlike the old ones.

Feb 10, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #140 of 15,612
On the positive side they trickled down the DSD-RE FPGA in a mobile walkman.

A feature previously only found on sonys Table top Gear like RX line up and TA-Z1HES and transportable DMP-Z1

Feb 10, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #143 of 15,612
I think we should wait for actual listening impressions of the new Walkmans before casting aspersions on how they're going to sound. Especially since Sony have already suggested the new 1A and 1Z are tuned the same, unlike the old ones.
as this followed my post - was this "casting aspersions" line on a discussion forum site chucked at me.....or just on free speech in general :wink:

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #145 of 15,612
This product doesn't make sense. It can't pass direct audio from most streaming apps, and in 5 years when it isn't getting updates anymore you won't even be able to install most third party apps.

$4000 for a device running Android is stupid. I'd rather have the old version.
I had similar thought about Android-based before but then I think the old version can't install any 3rd party app from day 1 so there is that 🤔

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #146 of 15,612
I had the opportunity to hear the new WM1ZM2 yesterday and it feels like a more textured and more layered WM1Z with better positioning. The "thickness" in audio is still present from the old WM1Z.

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #148 of 15,612
as this followed my post - was this "casting aspersions" line on a discussion forum site chucked at me.....or just on free speech in general :wink:
Not directed at you at all. Just a general comment on how some folks are casting doubts on the quality of the new players before hearing them. I agree the spec list after a 5-year refresh is 'underwhelming', but let's first get some impressions in.

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #150 of 15,612
Mojo 2 is also similarly in using PCM modulations and FPGA digital processing :)…..but are you keeping it for 5 years ?
I’ve had my 1Z for 5 1/2 years now and have no intention of getting rid of it for many years to come

Users who are viewing this thread

Back