SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 19, 2024 at 8:07 AM Post #14,131 of 15,987
All the demo Walkmans at the one holland village are very clean stock.

The ZX707’s new android 13 doesn’t seem to add anything new on the surface in terms of audiophile functionality. I would think that the current Android 11 of the M2 Walkman is pretty much the same thing. Maybe there are better memory or battery optimisations, to me I can’t tell if there’s anything else that is significantly better from an operational and functioning perspective.

I would think from sound quality standpoint, if you are someone who values sound quality more. The 1AM2 is definitely a much better deal over the ZX707, 1AM2 still has quite more better sound quality that is noticeable out of the box. The ZX707 has a slimmer form factor, but I feel the size differences isnt that big as both are still within big screen dap but pocketable size. Personally if I want a smaller lightweight player for jogging purposes, I feel the tiny A305 makes more sense.

As for comparing my personal debloated well seasoned 1AM2 against the fresh demo units with 0hours clocked. I would say that the biggest noticeable sound difference is felt on the refinement of the transient sounds. On all three of the brand new demo units from the ZX707, 1AM2, 1ZM2, I can notice that all exhibit a kind of fuzziness to the trailing edges of the transient decay. It just don’t image as cleanly as my own 1AM2. And this is comparing internal storage of my 1AM2(not my swissbit microsd card) using the same demo songs that Sony supplies.

I would think the cause of this fuzziness I am hearing could be due to the brand new capacitors and maybe the unremoved Google stock bloatware. And of course I won’t be able to debloat the demo units, as this is not my property thus I have the right to do this to the demo units.

Is this fuzziness easily noticeable or standing out? For myself, I can notice such clarity issues easily but I would also be in the opinion that if one is not aware of this fuzziness, it can be something that others don’t hear at all. It’s like some kind of super faint sounding buzzing/interference/grain decay that seeps through after the transient attack. Think of it like a clean shirt with some tiny specks of
lint. It is there but you have to pay careful attention to notice them, or else it is a normal clean shirt to everyone else.
Got 2 1am2 'fresh' ( 0 hours ) in the past : both of them sounded **much** worse in the beginning then after the infamous 200hr burn in .
no dubt about this , at all

1am2 burned in is a superb portable device, very balanced staging and tailored for long listening sessions, with minor weakness ( dynamics on all ) .

This is not apparent at all in the first hours of use

The difference is very noticeable

Feb 19, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #14,132 of 15,987
Also to note. I have check every available settings to ensure that the demo units and my personal Walkman are running the same settings including sound adjustment settings, gain settings, high res streaming mode, dsd roll off, pcm loudness offset. Headphone app profiles, install app versions, all on firmware 1.07. I feel these settings can affect sound, for those who want to do sound comparisons between these Walkmans, it is best to check.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #14,133 of 15,987
Got 2 1am2 'fresh' ( 0 hours ) in the past : both of them sounded **much** worse in the beginning then after the infamous 200hr burn in .
no dubt about this , at all

1am2 burned in is a superb portable device, very balanced staging and tailored for long listening sessions, with minor weakness ( dynamics on all ) .

This is not apparent at all in the first hours of use

The difference is very noticeable

I think not everyone is able to tell the difference between the sound of a burnt in Walkman and vs a brand new ones.

Some would even claim that our human brain memory capacity for sound is incredibly short and it is impossible for one to do a valid side by side comparison of two audio equipment and have to rely on a A/B switching equipment.

But anyways I think I am going off tangent, but I think this video would be a counter to the above statement. This blind girl has neurodivergent condition and she is capable of remembering and playing many highly complicated piano pieces perfectly just from hearing them and learning from her teacher. I think we have to be open minded to accept the fact that there are people out there with better memory or senses than your typical human.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #14,134 of 15,987
I never thought it is about memory but about hearing - education and experience make a major difference( in my own exp and comparing perception with hearing trained/ musicians , different then what the causal person may have to say in same regards) ; and personal sense of hearing may vary ; so someone would be able to focus more , and someone less : on a sound, or frqs, or more subtle aspect, in a pattern of many .

Earphones play a role too.
Ear shape and inner ear play a role of course too, it is a well known that someone is more sensitive to highs ..
Recent example : me myself I had hard time figuring out the chain and synergy for Aroma Jewel IEM , as the EST drivers were quite fatiguing , thing was subtle and at same time became fastly evident , that while mids/high mids were pronounced they also were too hot for long sessions, caused me fatigue to the point of dismissing the IEM .

Then you may surf here and read around discover that someone displays a same sensitiveness as mine for Jewel mids/high mids/highs, someone else write that Jewel highs are not-existent or lack or too much subdue , and that calling mids or highs hit( multiple Est drivers there.. ) is a nonsense in their regards.
So..

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #14,135 of 15,987
Considering the price of a used 1am2 , no-brainer which one to favor if unsure on choice..imo
Well, a used ZX707 in Japan is around $450-500. A used WM1AM2 is much more expensive.

Honestly, I checked both and I'm glad I went with the ZX707: better CPU, smoother and a more recent version of Android. The WM1AM2 is way too big and heavy to travel with.

Feb 19, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #14,136 of 15,987
Sorry ,
I was referring to global pricings , or both USA or EU pricings - if you prefer - regarding a used 1am2 or zx707
; I will let you check classifieds to discover the price difference .

Feb 19, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #14,138 of 15,987
Sony is now offering the Singapore power restricted model of ZX707 for SGD $1099(original price is $1219)
https://store.sony.com.sg/products/nw-zx707

WM1AM2 is still selling at its original price of SGD $ 1,939

You can buy almost two units of ZX707 for the price of one WM1AM2.

So make your judgment on value. But do remember Singapore version of the ZX707 is extremely power output restricted and does not have high gain that is available on other regions like Malaysia.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #14,139 of 15,987
@andrewski

How do you travel with the 490grams 1ZM2?

Sometimes I do find carrying the 299grams 1AM2 to be a hassle to bring out for short trip and would just leave it at home.

For reference, ZX707 is at 227grams. A305 at 113grams.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #14,140 of 15,987
Sony is now offering the Singapore power restricted model of ZX707 for SGD $1099(original price is $1219)
https://store.sony.com.sg/products/nw-zx707

WM1AM2 is still selling at its original price of SGD $ 1,939

You can buy almost two units of ZX707 for the price of one WM1AM2.

So make your judgment on value. But do remember Singapore version of the ZX707 is extremely power output restricted and does not have high gain that is available on other regions like Malaysia.
Heads up to anyone living in/passing by Malaysia - in Sony Lalaport (Kuala Lumpur), there's a 20% discount of MSRP (but you need to buy a GSC cinema ticket, $5?).

Last checked, the price for 1ZM2, 1AM2 and ZX707 are USD $2.5K, $900, $600 respectively (rounded to nearest hundred).

Cherry on top is all models are volume uncapped. :)

Feb 19, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #14,141 of 15,987
Also to note, I have been using this AP15 launcher for my WM1AM2 for months now. It is just a simple text based user interface to replace the standard android 11 icon based interface. It helps by not having the cpu and gpu to perform drawing of icons and other unnecessary(for music playback) UI elements like the Google search bar. Might even reduce power consumption and heat generation on Walkman and maybe cure cancer? Everything just feels even more fluid. I would recommend to give it a try to see if the super simple text interface suits your taste. So far it has never crash on me nor have I encountered any kind of bugs with it. Is it magical sounding to my ears too? Yup. Also simple keyboard app is a good app to replace gboard.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aurhe.ap15&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=rkr.simplekeyboard.inputmethod&hl=en&gl=US

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #14,142 of 15,987
@andrewski

How do you travel with the 490grams 1ZM2?

Sometimes I do find carrying the 299grams 1AM2 to be a hassle to bring out for short trip and would just leave it at home.

For reference, ZX707 is at 227grams. A305 at 113grams.
I still use a generic iPhone belt holster for both my AM2 and ZM2. I find them too bulky for the pocket. They are still quite bulky on the hip, but I'm satisfied. I think of the ZM2 as bullion. Makes the weight desirable.

After hearing the ZM2, I would still buy it if it was bigger, heavier, more ugly.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #14,143 of 15,987
I never thought it is about memory but about hearing - education and experience make a major difference( in my own exp and comparing perception with hearing trained/ musicians , different then what the causal person may have to say in same regards) ; and personal sense of hearing may vary ; so someone would be able to focus more , and someone less : on a sound, or frqs, or more subtle aspect, in a pattern of many .

Earphones play a role too.
Ear shape and inner ear play a role of course too, it is a well known that someone is more sensitive to highs ..
Recent example : me myself I had hard time figuring out the chain and synergy for Aroma Jewel IEM , as the EST drivers were quite fatiguing , thing was subtle and at same time became fastly evident , that while mids/high mids were pronounced they also were too hot for long sessions, caused me fatigue to the point of dismissing the IEM .

Then you may surf here and read around discover that someone displays a same sensitiveness as mine for Jewel mids/high mids/highs, someone else write that Jewel highs are not-existent or lack or too much subdue , and that calling mids or highs hit( multiple Est drivers there.. ) is a nonsense in their regards.
So..
Personally at this current terminal stage of my audiophile hobby “journey”(if that’s a thing), the key criteria that I pay attention to in evaluating equipment is basing on much or how little mental distraction it causes to my music enjoyment. Great equipment should be able to present sounds that makes you totally “lost”(mentally) inside the music for hours. If it starts to sound fatiguing early or music feels boring after awhile, then this equipment is no good.

Feb 19, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #14,144 of 15,987
Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #14,145 of 15,987
Personally at this current terminal stage of my audiophile hobby “journey”(if that’s a thing), the key criteria that I pay attention to in evaluating equipment is basing on much or how little mental distraction it causes to my music enjoyment. Great equipment should be able to present sounds that makes you totally “lost”(mentally) inside the music for hours. If it starts to sound fatiguing early or music feels boring after awhile, then this equipment is no good.

IMG_1402.jpeg

Sometimes I'm amazed at how little progress has been made in the last (almost) 20 years when it comes to just listening to music... My ancient iPod 5.5G which is completely stock (other than Rockbox) with the coveted Wolfson DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back