SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 27, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #1,396 of 15,866
I am not talking about sound effects (aka Direct Source off) when I say that software plays a big part in the sound signature.

https://www.headphonesty.com/2022/02/review-sony-nw-a55-walkman/

Just running the WM1A/Z firmware on an A55 greatly improves the sound quality, no matter if you use Direct Source or not.
My point is when someone ask if the WM1ZM2 or WM1AM2 is better than WM1Z/A, we have to look at from the context that anyone can easily swap their stock Sony WM1Z/A firmware with your custom firmwares.

There’s a need to compare stock Sony firmware WM1Z/A vs Sony WM1ZM2/AM2

And as well as Sony WM1Z/A with Walkman One firmware vs Sony WM1ZM2/AM2

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #1,399 of 15,866
Here is why my friend in Japan telling me WM1ZM2>>>>WM1Z>(or=)WM1AM2>>>>>>WM1A.

I've been really into R2R sound lately, but I can't deny the joy I get from DSD rendering on the Sony walkman.
Does it really Change the sound??? I though it only up sampled pcm data to DSD with 1:1 mapping.

Mar 27, 2022 at 3:21 AM Post #1,401 of 15,866
After my 2hours of listening to both the WM1ZM2 and WM1AM2, I didn’t think one is overwhelmingly superior to the other from a sound quality only perspective(without taking into consideration the price differences)

Ultimately I feel the choice between these two is more about if you prefer the smoother relaxed sound of the 1ZM2 or the sparkling fun sound of the 1AM2.

Mar 27, 2022 at 3:32 AM Post #1,402 of 15,866
Here is why my friend in Japan telling me WM1ZM2>>>>WM1Z>(or=)WM1AM2>>>>>>WM1A.

I've been really into R2R sound lately, but I can't deny the joy I get from DSD rendering on the Sony walkman.
This is how I feel but not to the fullest extent.

The WM1ZM2 is like a refined 1Z but in a slightly different flavour. I won't say its significantly better than the 1Z.

The 1Z is better than the WM1AM2 but not by a long shot tbh.

However, the WM1AM2 is significantly better, in my opinion, compared to the WM1A.

Mar 27, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #1,403 of 15,866
I wonder if the M2 models will inhibit the missing art issue from the older models., I can't stand missing art; thats one thing that my Astell & Kern Kann Alpha does right.
I would expect so since the ZX2 that also was Android didn’t have problems with progressive art

Mar 27, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #1,404 of 15,866
This is how I feel but not to the fullest extent.

The WM1ZM2 is like a refined 1Z but in a slightly different flavour. I won't say its significantly better than the 1Z.

The 1Z is better than the WM1AM2 but not by a long shot tbh.

However, the WM1AM2 is significantly better, in my opinion, compared to the WM1A.
1Z and 1A share a lot of hardware, this goes back to what Mrwalkman said, OS does make a difference. I had my 1a OS modded and it definitely changed the sound for the better.

I've read that Amazon UltraHD music streaming works nicely on M2 walkman, which is not a surprise as Amazon music is big in Japan. However unsure how other streaming apps are going to deal with Sony walkman.

Mar 27, 2022 at 5:22 AM Post #1,405 of 15,866
1Z and 1A share a lot of hardware, this goes back to what Mrwalkman said, OS does make a difference. I had my 1a OS modded and it definitely changed the sound for the better.

I've read that Amazon UltraHD music streaming works nicely on M2 walkman, which is not a surprise as Amazon music is big in Japan. However unsure how other streaming apps are going to deal with Sony walkman.
Really makes me wonder about sound quality differences between the WM1M2 models and ZX507, how much of it is actually due to:

Hardware design improvements
Firmware sound changes
Changes to DSP enhancements: DSEE Ultimate and DC Phase Linearizer

I guess I should revisit the M2 walkmans just with direct source mode ON and compare to the sound on the ZX507 direct source ON.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #1,406 of 15,866
Really makes me wonder about sound quality differences between the WM1M2 models and ZX507, how much of it is actually due to:

Hardware design improvements
Firmware sound changes
Changes to DSP enhancements: DSEE Ultimate and DC Phase Linearizer

I guess I should revisit the M2 walkmans just with direct source mode ON and compare to the sound on the ZX507 direct source ON.
I asked the two Sony Engineer who worked on the walkman about hardware changes, specially whether the 4.4mm ground was use or not. They never answered me.
Someone in Japan checked and it is once again not used.

Mar 27, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #1,408 of 15,866
How would a WM1A utilising LDAC streaming (in Bluetooth DAC mode) compare to the 1AM2 directly streaming, all things being equal, same lossless streaming service, same track, same IEMS’s etc?

Mar 27, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #1,409 of 15,866

The only problem with streaming apps is that Sony didn't bother to bypass the Android SRC, like other DAP brands do. :frowning2:

That is actually my biggest heartbreak on these new DAPs.

Mar 27, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #1,410 of 15,866
The only problem with streaming apps is that Sony didn't bother to bypass the Android SRC, like other DAP brands do. :frowning2:

That is actually my biggest heartbreak on these new DAPs.
This, I agree with. As I said in the other new Walkman thread, this is almost daylight robbery at this price, considering every other Chinese DAP brand has found a way to bypass SRC.

For Sony, once again they only allow some sort of that bypass by using their in house W.Music app. This is why I wonder for MQA unfolding from Tidal, is the full rendering really done?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back