SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 26, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #1,381 of 15,840
I complained at Hiroaki Sato's Twitter, that the WM1ZM2 doesn't have an Bluetooth Receiver mode and got an like for that comment from him...

Let's hope that means something :D
Go back there and complain that they don't bypass the Android SRC as well. :)

Mar 26, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #1,382 of 15,840
Phileweb comparison review
WM- m2s review
So it's still a sparkling / smooth-rich 1am2 1zm2 paradigm. I reckon given my own experiences with m1s- the new Z tuning would contunue to be too dark doubling down on the kimber etc.

So it would be down to @MrWalkman to perform magic again....but can you? Maybe the first FW update will reveal whether a Android Sony OS can be played with....

Mar 26, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #1,383 of 15,840
the Chinese site has more information on the WM1M2, so I used Google lens to translate them:
E87952AC-70A9-4FF4-A9E1-F8043BA08993.jpeg

A6A10E37-0F3C-473C-B2F6-B9407BE115CF.jpeg

E4DACEEF-34E3-4E42-BA45-821D49216246.jpeg

Attachments

• 4B84381A-3DF9-4291-9F78-D409D79BA541.jpeg
    4B84381A-3DF9-4291-9F78-D409D79BA541.jpeg
    543.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 47038464-D663-4BD4-AA6F-DEF59520C163.jpeg
    47038464-D663-4BD4-AA6F-DEF59520C163.jpeg
    711.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 26, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #1,384 of 15,840
From Japanese twitter

https://mobile.twitter.com/mighty_2020/status/1507765174731952130

For the first time, I attached SONOROUS II and a balance cable (final C093 4.4mm) and listened to it with wm1am2. I almost spilled tears and got goose bumps. Does this mean that "sound spreads" (this is the sound field)? It feels like you can hear it from a wide area about 1 to 2 times. It's as if the emotional SONOROUS II has grown up.

Mar 26, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #1,385 of 15,840
I read a lot about DMP-Z1 and how 3D/holographic it sounds, in a really good/natural way, and now I read this about the M2 players. Some people may know that I think that while hardware is very important, software plays a big part in the final sound signature in these players from Sony.

The M2 players got DSD Remastering from the DMP-Z1, but I think that they also got at least some parts of the Z1's sound signature.

In my mind, bringing the M2 players a bit closer to the DMP-Z1 (in regards to sound quality) seems like a logical step, especially if they want to make them kind of a must for lovers of the classic 1A/Z.

Mar 26, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #1,386 of 15,840
I read a lot about DMP-Z1 and how 3D/holographic it sounds, in a really good/natural way, and now I read this about the M2 players. Some people may know that I think that while hardware is very important, software plays a big part in the final sound signature in these players from Sony.

The M2 players got DSD Remastering from the DMP-Z1, but I think that they also got at least some parts of the Z1's sound signature.

In my mind, bringing the M2 players a bit closer to the DMP-Z1 (in regards to sound quality) seems like a logical step, especially if they want to make them kind of a must for lovers of the classic 1A/Z.
I am hoping for direct Gen 1 vs Gen 2 comparisons for both DAPS (black/gold).

Mar 26, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #1,388 of 15,840

I think we need to consider the perception of sound quality improvement by Sony will vary a lot.

Users coming from different grades of walkmans:

DMP-Z1 Users
Walkman ZX1 ZX2, ZX300 Users
Walkman WM1Z, WM1A Users
Walkman A45, A55 users
Walkman A100, ZX500 Users
Other DAP users

How much improvement they perceive will depend on which hardware they come from. And also if they had modded their Walkman on the hardware and/or firmware level(non-android models)

Secondly there are group of users who
do not use Sony DSP by setting to Direct Source Mode On, thus do not take advantage as much of the Sony DSP improvements that exist through the years of advancement. They are the group that rely more so on the hardware improvements to the sound, although the firmware software itself still has influence to the sound as experienced by those using @MrWalkman mods.

What I am saying is the level of improvement of the new Walkman felt by the audiophile community will vary a lot depending on where they come from at the hardware side, along with their own subjective sound preferences, DSP usage, music genre, listening volume levels and what kind of audio gear they have like iems/headphones and the tips/padding and cables used.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #1,389 of 15,840
Also some headphones may pair better with the Gen One than the Gen Two. I cannot think of anything more perfect than Sony NW-WM1Z/SRH1840 combo. My Lotoo Paw Gold Touch and SRH1540 headphones are sitting.
I think we need to consider the perception of sound quality improvement by Sony will vary a lot.

DMP-Z1 Users
Walkman WM1Z, WM1A Users
Walkman A55 users
Other DAP users

How much improvement they perceive will depend on which hardware they come from. And also if they had modded their Walkman on the hardware and/or firmware level(non-android models)

Secondly there are group of users do not use Sony DSP by setting to Direct Source Mode On, thus do not take advantage as much of the Sony DSP improvements that exist through the years of advancement. They are the group that rely more so on the hardware improvements to the sound, although the firmware software itself still has influence to the sound as experienced by those using @MrWalkman mods.

What I am saying is the level of improvement of the new Walkman felt by the audiophile community will vary a lot depend on where they come from, along with their own subjective sound preferences and what kind of audio gear they have like iems/headphones and the tips/padding and cables used.

Mar 26, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #1,390 of 15,840
this is just a hypothetical example

Two ZX507 users:

Guy A uses Sony DSP like DSEE Ultimate
Guy B uses Direct Source On

Lets say the new Walkman has much more improvements to the sound at the DSP level than at the hardware level

When they go audition the new Walkman using the sound settings they preferred:

Guy A finds the new Walkman to sound so much better.

Guy B will find not much improvements to the sound.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #1,391 of 15,840
If you have gone through the marketing materials provided by Sony, much of the major hardware changes this time around is pretty much focused on improving the power supply stability and improving instantaneous power/current output.

Thus I believe for those who listens to their music at much higher volumes and/or play music types and uses sound settings that pushes the s-master hx amplifier more will likely perceive more improvements to the sound as compared to those that don’t listen loudly and/or prefers gentler sounding music.

Well, that’s my opinion anyways.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #1,392 of 15,840
If you have gone through the marketing materials provided by Sony, much of the major hardware changes this time around is pretty much focused on improving the power supply stability and improving instantaneous power/current output.

Thus I believe for those who listens to their music at much higher volumes and/or play music types and uses sound settings that pushes the s-master hx amplifier more will likely perceive more improvements to the sound as compared to those that don’t listen loudly and/or prefers gentler sounding music.

Well, that’s my opinion anyways.
Low to moderate listening levels here...

Mar 27, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #1,393 of 15,840
I wonder if the M2 models will inhibit the missing art issue from the older models., I can't stand missing art; thats one thing that my Astell & Kern Kann Alpha does right.

Mar 27, 2022 at 2:02 AM Post #1,394 of 15,840

DMP-Z1 Users
Walkman WM1Z, WM1A Users
Walkman A45, A55 users
Other DAP users

Secondly there are group of users who
do not use Sony DSP by setting to Direct Source Mode On, thus do not take advantage as much of the Sony DSP improvements that exist through the years of advancement. They are the group that rely more so on the hardware improvements to the sound, although the firmware software itself still has influence to the sound as experienced by those using @MrWalkman mods.

What I am saying is the level of improvement of the new Walkman felt by the audiophile community will vary a lot depending on where they come from at the hardware side, along with their own subjective sound preferences, DSP usage, music genre, listening volume levels and what kind of audio gear they have like iems/headphones and the tips/padding and cables used.

I am not talking about sound effects (aka Direct Source off) when I say that software plays a big part in the sound signature.

https://www.headphonesty.com/2022/02/review-sony-nw-a55-walkman/

Just running the WM1A/Z firmware on an A55 greatly improves the sound quality, no matter if you use Direct Source or not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back