SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Sep 26, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #12,781 of 15,904
Well, my niece thinks her Earpods gen3 has amazing audio quality. She says with it, she can hear everything in her music.

Just imagine what would she be thinking if I told her that she simply cannot hear everything in her music with the earpods.(as there's actually not much low bass coming from her earpods, if compared to the kind of audiophile IEMs like IER-Z1R that we know of.) Or if I start explaining to her that bluetooth AAC codec is lossy and etc.

I guess playing dumb and being nice is the best thing I can do for her in this case. Like you said, If it aint broke, don't fix it.is far better than si
Coca Cola has to fade in its appeal before you might appreciate single malt whisky. To jump straight to the whiskey might put you off beverage all together, especially at the cost. I guess our hobby can often be a lot to do with the journey towards some imagined top of the mountain. You raise an interesting tension though, how do we share the hobby without “ruining” people for more simplistic enjoyment of music. I heard Stairway to Heaven on Vinyl on big B&W 802 speakers when I was 14, the disease was terminal from then on 🤣 Happy Listening

Sep 26, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #12,782 of 15,904
DSEE.....just....why?

$3k on a DAP and you use a lossy/ mp3 source? In the age of streaming and $200 terabyte 'thisonethatone' SD cards...

Sep 26, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #12,783 of 15,904
@boodi
Would it be legit for a company to spend total of USD$5.24 billion dollars in Research & Development in 2022 to NOT incorporate the latest development of their AI algorithms into their existing electronics product lines? It must be pretty smart right? To not do anything like that, especially given that your other tech competitors like Apple, Google, Samsung and Microsoft are always constantly updating their AI related algorithms and services.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/739101/sony-research-and-development-expenses/#:~:text=In the company's 2022 fiscal,the company's highest in years.

section3-1.jpg

Deep Learning

Deep Learning is a machine-learning technology that allows users to create AI models that “recognize and predict” and “generate and transform” any data through the provision of training data. The R&D deep learning research team has been working on fundamental technologies including large-scale training, model compression, few-shot learning, generation modeling, and neural rendering. The outcomes of these research efforts are integrated into the Neural Network Console, a GUI development tool, and the Neural Network Libraries, which are open-source libraries, to actively contribute to the advancement of AI fields. At Sony, these technologies are used not only in electronics products featuring AI technology, but also in the entertainment business such as movies, music, and games, as well as in new types of business.

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/research/research-areas/ai-machine_learning/

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #12,784 of 15,904
@boodi
Would it be legit for a company to spend total of USD$5.24 billion dollars in Research & Development in 2022 to NOT incorporate the latest development of their AI algorithms into their existing electronics product lines? It must be pretty smart right? To not do anything like that, especially given that your other tech competitors like Apple, Google, Samsung and Microsoft are always constantly updating their AI related algorithms and services.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/739101/sony-research-and-development-expenses/#:~:text=In the company's 2022 fiscal,the company's highest in years.

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/research/research-areas/ai-machine_learning/
Thinking purely as a company, I would not put my latest developments into my single-purpose device. I would save for the next generation devices and use it as marketing. Besides that, it would not be smart to advertise your current devices as sounding one way and then changing that sound profile via firmware to sound different.
Many audio nerds would be angry or at least disappointed since sound preferences at this level are subjective.

Sep 26, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #12,785 of 15,904
You obviously, like me don't have super human hearing.

Some owners of this DAP will also insist the the point of distraction that a F/W update that addresses security issues alone improves the sound. Oh well as long as they are happy.

Enjoy the music. :)
Thank God for that!

I guess some people really needs to get their hearing checked. I mean myself.
There is no Audiometry instrument at present that can accurately measure your hearing ability. We don't have the technology yet. 🙏🏻

Anyways,I think you're better off creating a different thread about all your theories and family blind tests and leaving this thread for just discussion about the Sony Walkman DAPs.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #12,786 of 15,904
Found a picture which shows the internal gold plating done inside the crystal clock oscillators of the walkman and the translated text is included below:
28424276.png

Made of Gold-Phase Noise Crystal Oscillator
NW-WM1ZM2 uses vapor deposition technology to add gold to the crystal electrode, changing the electrical characteristics and improving noise immunity.
And compared with the WM1 series, the size of the crystal oscillator is increased (the same size as DMP-Z1). This is used to achieve clear sound and produce a purer sound signal.

Traditional crystal oscillator
electrodes generally
use silver, and the noise can be very low.

NW-WM1ZM2 crystal oscillator electrode
Using gold to plate the electrodes
can achieve lower noise.

Sep 26, 2023 at 11:36 PM Post #12,787 of 15,904
28424265.jpeg

Polymer Capacitor-FT CAP3
Sony has launched a new generation of polymer capacitors, FT CAP3, which uses technology and inspiration
developed in home speakers. In FT CAP3, the anti-vibration performance of the capacitor is
improved, allowing the capacitor to be fully released, showing a more majestic dynamic range and better
performance. A sense of spaciousness.
●Illustration of information interference part
Partial indication of information interference
● Music information display part diagram
● Music information display part diagram
Without improved anti-vibration processing capacitors,
the display of music information is
not comprehensive enough.
"Illustration only
The new FT CAP3 can
display a more complete amount
of music information.

Sep 27, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #12,788 of 15,904
Interview with Hiroaki Sato:

https://wpb.shueisha.co.jp/news/technology/2023/09/25/120747/
■ Hiroaki Sato Born in 1963 in Niigata Prefecture. In charge of Walkman sound quality design. He joined Sony Corporation in 1986 and has been working on Walkman development since 2003. His hobbies are headphone audio, guitar, and watching motorcycle races.

New Walkman models were launched by Sony on 27 January. Two models, the NW-A306 and NW-A307, are from the 'A series', a popular and compact model with excellent cost performance. The NW-ZX707 was introduced from the high-end ZX series, which is positioned between the A series and the flagship (top-of-the-range) model. Both series are the first new releases in about three years.

However, this journalist thought. 'Now that's a Walkman ....... Isn't a smartphone enough?' And. In this issue, we interviewed the Walkman developers to hear their frank talk!

His hobby is tinkering with Walkmans!
--Please welcome us today!

Sato: My name is Hiroo Sato and I am in charge of Walkman sound quality design. I look forward to working with you.

--First of all, could you tell us about your career history, Mr Sato?

Sato: I joined the company in 1986 and initially made a CD boom box called the Dodeca Horn. After that, I worked on making a server with a hard disk for music and an electronic diary called 'CLIE', and since 2003 I have been involved in the development of the Walkman.

--Did you join Sony to make the Walkman?

Sato: I originally joined Sony because I wanted to make audio rather than Walkman. Sony radio cassette recorders were popular when I was a child, and I think that's how I fell in love with audio. I spent most of my money on audio when I was a student.

I was around high school when the Walkman was born. At the time, I took it for granted that cassette tapes could be recorded, so I was under the impression that a Walkman that could only be played back was like a car without a back gear (laughs). But when I listened to a friend who had one, I was impressed by the unbelievably good sound. That was my first encounter with Walkman.

--What is the appeal of these new Walkman models and what changes have been made since the last one?

Sato: The A Series has been designed so that the sound image can be expanded and detailed sounds can be heard without making major changes to the size of the previous model. Battery life and operability have also been improved. Unlike higher-end models, we are proud that we were able to produce a good product while keeping costs down.

NW-A306] Sony Store price: ¥46,200 (incl. tax) [NW-A307] Sony Store price: ¥57,200 (incl. tax)
NW-A306] Sony Store price: ¥46,200 (incl. tax) [NW-A307] Sony Store price: ¥57,200 (incl. tax)

The NW-ZX707 has increased in size from its predecessor. To compensate for this, we have also packed in the larger components used in the higher-end model. We were able to achieve such high sound quality that our sales people were concerned about what would happen if we couldn't sell the higher-end models.

Inside the chassis, an oxygen-free copper cutting block is used. The machined block makes a huge difference in the tightness of the bass and the extension of the high frequency range.

NW-ZX707 Sony Store price: 104500 yen (tax included)
NW-ZX707 Sony Store price: 104500 yen (tax included)

-How did you realise that machining was the way to go?

Sato When we created the NW-ZX-1 model in 2013, we realised during various trial-and-error processes. We can measure values such as frequency response and distortion rate, but we can't measure the final sound quality. In the end, you have to listen and judge.

Before the development of the NW-ZX1 began, I bought a commercially available headphone amplifier kit with a junior colleague and we were experimenting with various parts to improve the sound quality. We were doing an informal activity called the 'Amplifier Club', completely as a hobby, when our seniors found out and told us to do it proudly as a job.

--So that's the background to the evolution of the Walkman.

Sato It wasn't a direct background, but I think it was a good experience (laughs). In the end, I was allowed to examine various parts as part of my job, and it was a chance for me to realise that machining was the way to go.

But what is more important when talking about the evolution of the Walkman is that Sony was already working on stationary Hi-Fi audio development. I feel that this is an environment where the sound we were aiming for was already embodied. Component selection would normally have taken more time, but we were able to make development more efficiently by referring to the component manufacturing of the stationary models.

Sony has accumulated a lot of know-how in audio development, and this has been utilised in the Walkman. In the development of radio cassette recorders, which I was involved in after joining the company, I was able to learn how to improve the sound while also cramming various functions into a limited size. This has been useful in the development of Walkman.

What is the significance of the Walkman?
--Many people listen to music on their smartphones, but frankly speaking, what is the point of listening to music on a Walkman nowadays?

Sato: It's true that many people enjoy music on their smartphones. But with a smartphone, you need a lot of different functions. In this respect, Walkman can be designed as a dedicated music playback device, with sound quality as the top priority. You can also save on the phone's charging and internal memory capacity by having two units with your smartphone. Anyway, the sound quality is definitely not as good as a smartphone!

-Actually, are they selling well?

Sato: The market for DMPs (digital music players) is indeed declining. Even within that, there's an increasing trend with regard to the composition ratio of high-value-added models that support streaming. With the introduction of new products, we expect the market for high sound quality models to continue to increase.

--What kind of people are buying them?

Sato: They are being purchased by people who are particular about sound, gadget lovers, as well as people who genuinely like music. The age group is slightly older, and I get the impression that people who have been listening to music on playback-only devices for a long time are firmly into it.

So it's not so much that young people don't buy it. When we hold events, high school students and others tell us that they saved up the money to buy one. There was also a young woman who bought a flagship model priced at around 400,000 yen because she loves voice actors and wanted to hear their voices properly.

--What is the reason why you are still making Walkman models?

Sato: Walkman was originally created based on the concept of "listening to your favourite songs anytime, anywhere with great sound", and I think it's because I share that concept.

Music also makes commuting time more enjoyable, doesn't it? I also get nourishment from music on a daily basis, so I hope that Walkman can provide as much good sound as possible to as many people as possible.

--When do you use your Walkman to listen to music?

Sato: It's really great to listen to music on the way to work or when I'm travelling. Also, when I'm on my balcony at home with a cup of coffee in my hand, looking at the sky. Once, when I did that on a remote working day, I felt so good I had to leave work early (laughs).

--(laughs) - Who would you recommend Walkman to?

Sato: First of all, I recommend it to people who are particular about headphones and earphones. Good headphones, on the other hand, can make the rough edges of the player stand out. With Walkman, you can make full use of the headphone specifications.

Well, I would recommend them to anyone who listens to music. People tend to think that expensive models are for jazz or classical music. But Sony has taught us that you have to play everything, so I can recommend it to anyone who listens to any genre of music.

--Lastly, do you have any message for people who haven't used a Walkman yet?

Sato: You can tell how good it is by listening to it, so please go to your nearest Sony Store or electronics retailer and try it out first. I think it's fun to demo it with songs you've heard before and hear sounds you didn't know existed. Artists put a tremendous amount of effort and passion into their work, so I hope I can help convey every detail.

Recently, I've heard that long intros and guitar solos are skipped. I know it's a trend of the times, but I think Walkman can help people to face music properly once more, so please give it a try!

Sep 27, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #12,792 of 15,904
Sep 27, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #12,793 of 15,904
Their research ( of course ) isn't flowing into 1 single purpose device...( Sony = music and entertainment multipurpose giant )
, but it can eventually serve it and appear on it .
AI/AI research is mandatory for Sony in 2023 ( many reasons ) so..

-Dsee is switchable.....on or off.

-Dsee before 1.07 update was not particularly useful or tasty , nothing 'game changing' (my ears ), now this changed for the better ; it is a benefit only for users.
-" Direct " is not much dissimilar from before .. so....my ears , ymmv etc..the original signature is there
Thinking purely as a company, I would not put my latest developments into my single-purpose device. I would save for the next generation devices and use it as marketing. Besides that, it would not be smart to advertise your current devices as sounding one way and then changing that sound profile via firmware to sound different.
Many audio nerds would be angry or at least disappointed since sound preferences at this level are subjective.
Thinking as a company ramping and competing fast as ever- as others companies - in the large world and market of entertainment/audio/music/fidelity/production and reproduction/engagement ( and for a profit of course ), with an appreciable base of long time affiliated costumers and users, I would be as transparent fast and solid as possible in applying my tech -and updates

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #12,794 of 15,904
Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 1:23 AM Post #12,795 of 15,904
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back