SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Sep 26, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #12,766 of 15,907
If this is true, it makes me sad about how far behind their own 360RA content and sound is lagging behind atmos. I’ve used multiple different sony headphones and in-ears, both on mobile and on my ZX500, yet I can’t really say I enjoyed any 360 mix. It tends to sound splashy and very high pitched, atmos on the other hand actually works wonders with my IER-M9s which already have a holographic like imaging aspect.

It makes me sad Sony is neglecting atmos support on their Walkman players, I hope they change this!
The good news is that Dolby and Sony are no longer fighting in the patent side of things:
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/dolby-sony-create-patent-pool-123000219.html

The bad news, I don't think the current walkmans will gain atmos support.

I agree with you, the IER-M9, especially on balanced connection has holographic imaging. It is able to present full 360 degrees of sound and with very impressive size. Also in my experience, the iem tip selection and sealing has quite a significant impact to sound staging for the IER-M9.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #12,767 of 15,907
Just wait till you try DSEE Ultimate with the Swissbit industrial microsd, the pitch black background of the Swissbit makes it sound even more holographic.

Thank god the Swissbit has a pitch black background, because my SanDisk Extreme Pro is noisy AF. :)

If there is one pointless Head-fi exaggeration it's this one exactly: the amazing quality of a piece of gear/kit to be "pitch black" compared to everything else that came before it. But pretty much everything else that is of some quality already delivers "pitch black" unless we're talking tube amps. You can't keep going more and more pitch black. Pitch black is absolute. Nothing to be improved on. You can't go negative pitch black. It's done. Exhausted. Move on... stop making **** up.

Sep 26, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #12,768 of 15,907
The good news is that Dolby and Sony are no longer fighting in the patent side of things:
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/dolby-sony-create-patent-pool-123000219.html

The bad news, I don't think the current walkmans will gain atmos support.

I agree with you, the IER-M9, especially on balanced connection has holographic imaging. It is able to present full 360 degrees of sound and with very impressive size. Also in my experience, the iem tip selection and sealing has quite a significant impact to sound staging for the IER-M9.
My dream, would be the ability to buy Dolby atmos TrueHD files which are lossless atmos files, and listen to them on the Walkman music app. I hope I live long enough to see that happen 😅

Sep 26, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #12,769 of 15,907
I guess someone is just uphappy about my critic of their beloved Sandisk Extreme Pro.

Unfortunately the Sandisk Extreme Pro doesn't sound truly clean in how it images the sound stage. Especially on instruments like strings, it shows a very faint FM static like distortion in the background which is distracting once you start to notice it.

Whereas for the Swissbit, It is clean as it can be, making the sound staging sound pitch black as it can be when you are in a quiet room. Not sure what other words can I use to describe this background distortion free soundstage, other than a pitch black one?

If you can't stand what I have to say, please humor me by adding me to your ignore list, It is better for your health.

Sep 26, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #12,771 of 15,907
Sep 26, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #12,772 of 15,907
I guess someone is just uphappy about my critic of their beloved Sandisk Extreme Pro.

Unfortunately the Sandisk Extreme Pro doesn't sound truly clean in how it images the sound stage. Especially on instruments like strings, it shows a very faint FM static like distortion in the background which is distracting once you start to notice it.

Whereas for the Swissbit, It is clean as it can be, making the sound staging sound pitch black as it can be when you are in a quiet room. Not sure what other words can I use to describe this background distortion free soundstage, other than a pitch black one?

If you can't stand what I have to say, please humor me by adding me to your ignore list, It is better for your health.

Nope, sorry. I have my AM2 equipped with the SanDisk Extreme Pro (not beloved, simply what I'm using) right here. I have been listening to it for quite a while. There is no "faint FM static". Nothing. It's "pitch black" alright. My hearing is very good. You either tried a faulty unit or you're making this up.

Sep 26, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #12,773 of 15,907
I also have SanDisk SD card and I have never heard any static yet else would have changed the SD Card.

Sep 26, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #12,774 of 15,907
Thank god the Swissbit has a pitch black background, because my SanDisk Extreme Pro is noisy AF. :)

If there is one pointless Head-fi exaggeration it's this one exactly: the amazing quality of a piece of gear/kit to be "pitch black" compared to everything else that came before it. But pretty much everything else that is of some quality already delivers "pitch black" unless we're talking tube amps. You can't keep going more and more pitch black. Pitch black is absolute. Nothing to be improved on. You can't go negative pitch black. It's done. Exhausted. Move on... stop making **** up.
You have your opinion, and other people have their opinion. There is no need to resort to personal attacks on people who have a different opinion than yours.

Ignore is a good option if you do not agree with some users viewpoints, and I highly recommend using it. It is kind of pointless to keep reading opinions that upset you. The purpose of these forums is to share and enjoy the hobby/music, so there is no need to aggravate yourself needlessly.

Sep 26, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #12,775 of 15,907
About 10 years ago, there was a post that described Delta Sigma dacs as having a type of harsh sound and it was suggested that a good R2R DAC was the cure to such Delta Sigma harshness. Of course the people who owned Delta Sigma dacs felt that their dacs sounded perfectly fine without harshness and started to question if the person is making things up or having faulty equipment.

Who do you believe? One person opinion or the owners of the Delta Sigma dac?

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #12,776 of 15,907
I remember one time, I had a causal family conversion with one of my niece and she tells me how nice the music on her Spotify premium account sounded on her iphone/earpods. She tells me that I should also subscribe to Spotify Premium so that I can enjoy the better sound quality.

Some Background: she doesn't know about my audiophile hobby, the kind of equipment I have.

Question: Should I as an audiophile, start to educate her on why offline files sounded better and impose my other audiophile beliefs/opinions/Sony Walkman worshiping on her and etc?

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #12,777 of 15,907
I remember one time, I had a causal family conversion with one of my niece and she tells me how nice the music on her Spotify premium account sounded on her iphone/earpods. She tells me that I should also subscribe to Spotify Premium so that I can enjoy the better sound quality.

Some Background: she doesn't know about my audiophile hobby, the kind of equipment I have.

Question: Should I as an audiophile, start to educate her on why offline files sounded better and impose my other audiophile beliefs/opinions/Sony Walkman worshiping on her and etc?
Ignorance is bliss, let her just enjoy the music 🤣

Sep 26, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #12,778 of 15,907
Ignorance is bliss, let her just enjoy the music 🤣
That's what I did. I just causally agree with her viewpoints and later she showed me her playlist that she listens to. In the end, I was the one who gain more knowledge/insights into what kind of music that the younger generation listens to.

Sep 26, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #12,779 of 15,907
That's what I did. I just causally agree with her viewpoints and later she showed me her playlist that she listens to. In the end, I was the one who gain more knowledge/insights into what kind of music that the younger generation listens to.
Nice 👍 . I remember being a kid and enthusiastically showing off my DIY oxygen free copper cables that I made by soldering several short bits together 🤣 Honestly think I had more pure joy in my ignorance back then, than all the pleasure I get from the stupid $ invested in solid silver cables these days. If it ain't broke, don't fix it 🥳

Sep 26, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #12,780 of 15,907
Nice 👍 . I remember being a kid and enthusiastically showing off my DIY oxygen free copper cables that I made by soldering several short bits together 🤣 Honestly think I had more pure joy in my ignorance back then, than all the pleasure I get from the stupid $ invested in solid silver cables these days. If it ain't broke, don't fix it 🥳

Well, my niece thinks her Earpods gen3 has amazing audio quality. She says with it, she can hear everything in her music.

Just imagine what would she be thinking if I told her that she simply cannot hear everything in her music with the earpods.(as there's actually not much low bass coming from her earpods, if compared to the kind of audiophile IEMs like IER-Z1R that we know of.) Or if I start explaining to her that bluetooth AAC codec is lossy and etc.

I guess playing dumb and being nice is the best thing I can do for her in this case. Like you said, If it aint broke, don't fix it.

me: Actually, your earpods has not much bass.
she: what do you mean by not much bass? I can hear bass on my earpods perfectly fine. It has plenty of bass.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back