SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jan 22, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #9,751 of 15,987
I have the Arya V2. I need to max out the high gain on my Jap 1AM2,but it still feels a bit thin. The stealth versions are a bit more efficient but i don't think it would be a good pairing due to low power of the Walkman.
interesting, and this is balanced? I guess it's not that surprising given the Sony power limit

Jan 22, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #9,752 of 15,987
Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #9,753 of 15,987
interesting, and this is balanced? I guess it's not that surprising given the Sony power limit
Yes,on Balanced. I usually use the Aryas with a Drop 789 and Cayin HA1A Tube Amp. They need a lot of power to sound their best.

Jan 23, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #9,754 of 15,987
I have spend quite some time reading up on power banks and usb wall chargers.

So here are my findings, which is focused on providing clean(low electrical noise/ripple) charging to the Walkman.

Not all Ankers products are great:
https://goughlui.com/2023/01/15/review-tested-anker-powerport-iii-65w-pod-usb-c-wall-charger-a2712/

Some of these "100w" chargers have problems with heat and can't sustain 100w for long term, also using non-recognized capacitors:
https://goughlui.com/2021/10/17/rev...uperport-4-100w-desktop-charger-with-dual-pd/

Not all generic brand power banks are bad, they can be very low noise:
https://goughlui.com/2022/09/22/review-iniu-bi-b63-usb-c-pd-65w-25000mah-92-5wh-power-bank/

Premium priced stuff can be bad too:
https://goughlui.com/2022/01/04/review-cygnett-chargeup-go-5000mah-power-bank-cy3533pbche/

Something like a older Xiaomi powerbank pro is very low noise:
https://goughlui.com/2017/11/19/review-teardown-mi-power-bank-pro-10000mah-qc3-0-plm03zm/

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #9,755 of 15,987
that Anker charger looks pretty good there haha. not perfect but likely more than good enough for Walkman to charge without causing damage

Jan 23, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #9,756 of 15,987
that Anker charger looks pretty good there haha. not perfect but likely more than good enough for Walkman to charge without causing damage
Yes it’s within specifications but as the author point out, there are other more budget brands that offers lower ripple. This premium Anker is nearer to the max allowable standards set by usb if. Also the higher the ripple, the more excess heat is generated and more stress to the internal components of the charge receiver.

see page 16 of the pdf for acceptable voltage range:
https://training.ti.com/sites/default/files/docs/Design Considerations for USB type C Power Delivery.pdf

https://www.componentsbureau.com/la...hat-is-voltage-ripple-and-why-is-it-important

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #9,757 of 15,987
Hello Friends,

New owner of the WM1ZM2 here.

Quick question:

Should I turn off battery manager to squeeze out more listening time after a charge? Isn’t the idea of a battery manager to help prolong the battery life?

I am writing this in some haste but would appreciate people’s thoughts.

Jan 23, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #9,758 of 15,987
Hello Friends,

Quick question:

Should I turn off battery manager to squeeze out more listening time after a charge? Isn’t the idea of a battery manager to help prolong the battery life?

As others suggest it, too, leave it activated. However, when you travel and you won't be able the charge the next days, keep it off.

Jan 23, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #9,759 of 15,987
Hello Friends,

Quick question:

No experience with 1Z but battery manager will help you in long term by not letting you strain your battery on a daily basis. May be it will ask you to charge when battery goes 20% and then only charges till 80% of capacity.
So it's like loosing a battle but winning a war kind of thing.

Jan 23, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #9,760 of 15,987
According to the Sony manual, one can charge the battery of the wm1am2 / wm1zm2 500 times in total.

Jan 23, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #9,762 of 15,987
According to the Sony manual, one can charge the battery of the wm1am2 / wm1zm2 500 times in total.
Just speculations, though i cannot confirm it, i remember years ago i read it refer to 500 power cycle. 1 power cycle is like anything below 20% charging onwards or charging it to 100%. Thats's why battery care is there to avoid 1 cycle. Avoiding power cycle can be good but many will notice battery life reducing after months of usage, think because the calibration of the battery will be inaccurate after many avoidances of the power cycle.

I recently did 1 power cycle by draining it complete 0%, trying to boot until no screen light, then charge to 100 % again (battery care has to be off). It will recalibrate the battery by the android system. I believe many long time android user know this method. However, try at your own risk, hehe.

Honestly, no need to do this method i did unless u notice drastic reduction in playtime hours. Of course i might be wrong, just something i read over the years.

Many manufacturers even Tesla will tell owners to avoid going below 20%, but they did not fully explain why.

Little sharing, this is how i kept my 2 years old iphone 11 with battery health 93 %. And my 5 months old iphone 13 battery health still 100 %. Though the cable is an important factor too, that's why Sony stated to use only their cable. I have damaged few of my android phones batteries with slight faulty cable, i learned from there. I personally think any cable better than Sony cable is fine too, im using an Audioquest Forest cable. Try at your own risk too, :D

Really a faulty cable can kill a battery within 20 charges, i have experience this few times.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #9,763 of 15,987
Just speculations, though i cannot confirm it, i remember years ago i read it refer to 500 power cycle. 1 power cycle is like anything below 20% charging onwards or charging it to 100%. Thats's why battery care is there to avoid 1 cycle. Avoiding power cycle can be good but many will notice battery life reducing after months of usage, think because the calibration of the battery will be inaccurate after many avoidances of the power cycle.

I recently did 1 power cycle by draining it complete 0%, trying to boot until no screen light, then charge to 100 % again (battery care has to be off). It will recalibrate the battery by the android system. I believe many long time android user know this method. However, try at your own risk, hehe.

Honestly, no need to do this method i did unless u notice drastic reduction in playtime hours. Of course i might be wrong, just something i read over the years.

Many manufacturers even Tesla will tell owners to avoid going below 20%, but they did not fully explain why.

Little sharing, this is how i kept my 2 years old iphone 11 with battery health 93 %. And my 5 months old iphone 13 battery health still 100 %. Though the cable is an important factor too, that's why Sony stated to use only their cable. I have damaged few of my android phones batteries with slight faulty cable, i learned from there. I personally think any cable better than Sony cable is fine too, im using an Audioquest Forest cable. Try at your own risk too, :D

Really a faulty cable can kill a battery within 20 charges, i have experience this few times.
80-20 rule and good charger with good cable is all we need.

Jan 23, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #9,765 of 15,987
Regarding Battery manager, i tried to google and can only find limited info about it, except it monitor battery temp, charging parentage, etc. Think it is better to leave it at default turn on, until someone can provide more specific details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back