SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jan 23, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #9,766 of 15,987
Yes,on Balanced. I usually use the Aryas with a Drop 789 and Cayin HA1A Tube Amp. They need a lot of power to sound their best.
Thanks - I was also wondering if you were using balanced. The Arya Stealth is a bit more efficient, so it may be OK. I suppose there's one way to find out. I'll keep whichever headphones work well with the WM1AM2; I like the sound, and the DSP features are really a stand out feature.

Jan 23, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #9,767 of 15,987
This battery manager is likely Sony’s own proprietary app for the android Walkman. I seen it on the ZX507 first.

You can use this software to forcibly restrict apps from using battery in the background. I have done so for many of the apps like gboard and etc, even though the battery statistics show gboard using 0% battery. I just want to strictly mandate this restriction as you never know what kind of under-table shenanigans that Google does like when you switch off wifi, it still can get turn on by certain apps for location/other purposes unless you enable airplane mode to enforce strict wifi off.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #9,768 of 15,987
Using a high quality(low ripple and low emi) wall charger or powerbank also do help to prevent premature battery failures/lifespan reduction. High priced and higher wattage charger/powerbank does not automatically make it a low ripple and low emi power source.

https://www.utmel.com/blog/categori...w-to-measure-its-value-and-how-to-suppress-it

Also do ensure there is adequate cooling during charging to prevent excess heat from affecting the lithium cells. You should try to keep the Walkman under 35C as a general rule of thumb.

Performing the optimization guide will also likely help by totally removing any chance of unnecessary background power consumption that these bloatware apps might perform if left alone. Especially the default gboard settings allows for it to automatically share “usage statistics” to google. I wonder what is the loose definition of usage statistics, especially coming from Google.

Jan 23, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #9,769 of 15,987
Jan 23, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #9,770 of 15,987
anyone have some good DSD sources? I’ve found like a handful of albums, I am looking for the big classics from the 60-2000. The police, Sting, Michael Jackson, Elton John, Metallica etc - and all female voices with a punch… Amy Winehouse etc., I want to fill up my Walkman with some of the big and impactful music for offline listening. I stream the rest. I found some guy in Malaysia selling some online for like $8 each - probably rips… but I’ll try a couple. The sound is amazing and seems battery doesn’t take a big hit either, so I figured I’d got for it.

So any tips would be appreciated

Jan 23, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #9,771 of 15,987
anyone have some good DSD sources? I’ve found like a handful of albums, I am looking for the big classics from the 60-2000. The police, Sting, Michael Jackson, Elton John, Metallica etc - and all female voices with a punch… Amy Winehouse etc., I want to fill up my Walkman with some of the big and impactful music for offline listening. I stream the rest. I found some guy in Malaysia selling some online for like $8 each - probably rips… but I’ll try a couple. The sound is amazing and seems battery doesn’t take a big hit either, so I figured I’d got for it.

So any tips would be appreciated
they sell some DSD
https://www.soundliaison.com/
check it out

Jan 23, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #9,772 of 15,987
Just to share my update findings:

Ripple Noise has two measurements, RMS value and Peak to Peak value. For excellent performing charger, You want both to be very low, especially the RMS value. I think RMS value of 20mV to 40mV range or under is what I deem to be the top of the line. Do note this RMS value does increase with higher voltage and higher ampere protocols. As for peak to peak value, I think under 300mV is what I consider to be very good, with those offering under 150mV to be the best.

Fake chargers do exist, so always ensure you buy from reputable places. This fake issue is more common with major brands like Apple, Samsung, Sony.

The bigger sized Apple chargers have ultra low ripple and is excellent choice as a premium grade power supply for the Walkman but their supported charging protocols are not as wide, so they don't make for a good charger for many of the other android devices.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #9,773 of 15,987
I've had my Sony ZX300 for 5years now.
Always used battery saver since day 1. It charges it only till 90%.
Battery life is down from 30+hrs to 10-11 hrs now,after 5 years. (Balanced,local FLAC playback).
What would have been the present battery life if I HAD NOT used the battery saver option?

Do we have any such users with such a long use case? To know if this setting is worth it?

In my opinion,the 10hrs of my 5year old ZX300 is comparable to a New Entry Level DAP example IBasso DX170...and that is VERY GOOD.

Jan 23, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #9,774 of 15,987
More opinions on finding better charging power for our walkman/electronic devices.

Anker is good choice for it's wide support of many protocols, especially on their Gan prime series. However I do not feel it's the most cost effective option just like Apple is not as well.

There are graphene based power banks which offers faster recharging, I think they are just too expensive and I don't think it is a good idea to be the beta testers for this kind of new technology. Stick to more mature, cheaper traditional Lithium ion power bank until the graphene tech has mature up and is cheaper.

As for usb-c cables, I think it is recommended to avoid using too long cables, try to use something like 1.5m or under. The shorter the usb-c charging cable is, the lesser the resistance will be, this is especially important if you want to maximize your power bank's energy conversion efficiency. Also try to go for over-spec cables, 5A cables will mean that the copper wires inside are low gauge, which really helps with more efficient energy transfer, thus faster charging times.

Ugreen products are cost effective but I have doubts on the longevity and safety basing on the soldering pictures of the teardown:
75d39dce21.jpg

https://budgetlightforum.com/node/80709

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #9,777 of 15,987
I have a WM1A M2 Japan version I love it , the Walkman blog has new Walkman's posted , is there any advantage in buying one of these newer Walkman's over my new WM1A M2 , any of the newer posted soon to come Walkman's
No. Your WM1AM2 is better.

Jan 24, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #9,778 of 15,987
No. Your WM1AM2 is better.
For sound quality it has to be. Better grade crystal clock oscillators is the key here, as jitter is usually lower with better grade oscillators. There have been some who have heard the ZX707 and have put it about 80% of the 1AM2 sound quality with the notable differences placed on the bass reproduction.

Though I would think the new ZX707 has better portability.

The smaller battery capacity of the ZX707 will definitely limit what kind of DSP you run with it on the go, unless you plan on getting a power bank to charge up.

Jan 24, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #9,780 of 15,987
So far this is my update on my search for great usb-c chargers for the Walkman:

https://myinnergie.com/us/about-us/
Innergie, this brand is from Delta Electronics which is a world renowned for their power supplies in the industrial, server and computing sectors. They also manufacture power supplies for Apple and Tesla.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Electronics

The Innergie models are more pricey but internally the use of very established components like Japanese rubicon capacitors, instead of unknown chinese capacitors does seem to me that it should be long lasting and safe.
Check out the tear down: https://www.chongdiantou.com/archives/189569.html

The amount of safety certification is very impressive along with its long 3year warranty:
2022112303025187.png

Although they are not without criticism, this YouTuber thinks the lack of Power factor correction is not great

I am not sure if this Power Factor matters any much for regular consumer like us or how does it have any effect on electrical output quality of the charger.

To me, from what I have seen this Innergie is super efficient(85% to 91%) even if their C6 duo charger is not using much hyped GAN tech.
Efficiency measurements here: https://wolflsi.pixnet.net/blog/post/69437162

Use of Gan doesn’t automatically mean it is power efficient, just see how poorly performing(53% to 92%) this Ugreen is:
https://wolflsi.pixnet.net/blog/post/70196246

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back