SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Nov 28, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #8,056 of 15,648
Yeah, the main reason i got M2 walkman is the DSEE Ultimate, 80% of my library are itunes aac 256kps. Before getting M2, i was planning going vinyl, now i don't feel the urge anymore.

There are always some songs i used to skip when listening with my stereo amp and iphone, I find them overmix and too bright, what a mess, lol. With M2 Walkman, i seldom skip them. Took me some courage to recommend these songs if u have apple music, hehe. A collection of Roxette hits -
The look
Dangerous
Quite impressive early 90s songs that they can do this kind of mixing, think they are way ahead of time, it needs very good gears to enjoy the mixing.

Nov 28, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #8,057 of 15,648
Yeah, the main reason i got M2 walkman is the DSEE Ultimate, 80% of my library are itunes aac 256kps. Before getting M2, i was planning going vinyl, now i don't feel the urge anymore.

There are always some songs i used to skip when listening with my stereo amp and iphone, I find them overmix and too bright, what a mess, lol. With M2 Walkman, i seldom skip them. Took me some courage to recommend these songs if u have apple music, hehe. A collection of Roxette hits -
The look
Dangerous
Quite impressive early 90s songs that they can do this kind of mixing, think they are way ahead of time, it needs very good gears to enjoy the mixing.
The thing with a Vinyl system is that you can no longer find Analog recordings anymore or they are pretty beat up. Unless you are super lucky to have found them. I have a few that I love and use. All modern music are all digital to begin with , which you better stay with digital domains

Nov 28, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #8,058 of 15,648
https://dcase.community/challenge20...ection-evaluated-in-real-spatial-sound-scenes

Sony scientists are still actively working on improving it AI on its real time sound classification and position detection. All these research will improve the performance of products like Walkman and Noise cancelling headphones.

This is the kind of leap forward technology that you won’t find from other dac/dap companies in this head-fi forum.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #8,059 of 15,648
I've read the origin of DSEE is based on a computer database and a very CPU intensive DSP re sampler.

The unlimited version has was shown once in Japan and when running it was using nearly 100% of the CPU capacity.

I don't think Sony will ever release it, but from what the ex Sony engineer told me, the DSEE is based on over 2 decade of database and continuous research.

Nov 28, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #8,060 of 15,648
I've read the origin of DSEE is based on a computer database and a very CPU intensive DSP re sampler.

The unlimited version has was shown once in Japan and when running it was using nearly 100% of the CPU capacity.

I don't think Sony will ever release it, but from what the ex Sony engineer told me, the DSEE is based on over 2 decade of database and continuous research.
That was back in 2018 when Sony was still using the main CPU to upsample the older DSEE AI. Now in 2022, there already has been much more performance and efficiency improvements with the use of dedicated NPU inside the SOC. NPUs are orders of magnitude faster and power efficient than CPU for AI tasks. AI software development kits are able to take advantage of all the different cores inside the SOC to do AI computational tasks, so you are not only limited to just to using the NPU only, the GPU, DSP and various CPU cores can also work together to provide more performance.

Take a look at the performance chart for video object detection:
Cpu 8fps (red)
NPU 62fps (blue)
https://www.nxp.com/company/blog/us...-processor:BL-MLIN-I-MX-8M-PLUS-APP-PROCESSOR
MLIN-%20i-MX-8M-PLUS-APP-PROCESSOR-5.png

This article was from 2018 back when Sony had released the older cpu processing DSEE AI
https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/dseehx/

If you try to make full use of AI, power consumption will inevitably increase.​

Chinen: That's an unavoidable side effect of "DSEE HX," which analyzes the music scene in real time. Therefore, when installing it in products, we are pursuing low power consumption by accumulating detailed ingenuity.

Please tell me what kind of "devise" you did specifically.​

c3_thumb1.jpg

Yamamoto: First of all, in the early stages of development, power consumption was ignored, cutting-edge AI technology learned from papers and the knowledge of the Sony Group were incorporated abundantly, aiming for the ultimate in sound quality. create. Of course, this cannot be built into the product as-is. At this rate, the battery would run out in just a few minutes (laughs). So, next, we thought about how we could reduce power consumption to a level that could be used in mobile devices.
The first thing I did was the amount of information to be processed. The "ultimate version" improved performance by inputting extremely detailed information, but it turned out that even if it was limited to some extent, the effect was almost not reduced.
In addition, most of the latest papers on AI that were referenced during development dealt with images, so there was room for reduction there as well. Since images and audio have very different signal characteristics, different approaches should be taken. Realizing this, we were able to further reduce power consumption by making the DNN specialized for audio.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #8,061 of 15,648
Also one thing to note, there is a difference between the DSEE Ultimate on Walkman vs the DSEE Ultimate on Xperia.

Only Walkman versions has 32bit bit depth AI enhanced, the Xperia ones only does up to 24bit bit depth AI enhanced.

Likely because S-master hx accepts 32bit input while the SOC audio codec on the Xperia is limited to 24bit input.

Walkman version shows 32bit:
5007CC2D-E03E-4C3B-989E-276AB2E91FB5.jpeg

Xperia DSEE Ultimate 24bits only:
100000001005759526_10112.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #8,063 of 15,648
I think one of the most amazing thing about M2 Walkman is its ability to keep cool even with all these DSP functioning. Granted it runs on a lower power output versus other daps, you never have to worry about the Walkman burning your pants no matter what kind of DSP processing you are running.

11.2MHz DSD Remastering via FPGA doesn’t heat up the Walkman by much. Just a warmer feel at the FPGA chip location.

DSEE Ultimate via NXP SOC is also the same. Just a warm touch at the SOC chip area.

The most heating up is playing back of YouTube video with dsee ultimate. It never reaches the point of uncomfortablely hot. Just slightly more warmer to touch.

Nov 29, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #8,064 of 15,648
I think one of the most amazing thing about M2 Walkman is its ability to keep cool even with all these DSP functioning. Granted it runs on a lower power output versus other daps, you never have to worry about the Walkman burning your pants no matter what kind of DSP processing you are running.

11.2MHz DSD Remastering via FPGA doesn’t heat up the Walkman by much. Just a warmer feel at the FPGA chip location.

DSEE Ultimate via NXP SOC is also the same. Just a warm touch at the SOC chip area.

The most heating up is playing back of YouTube video with dsee ultimate. It never reaches the point of uncomfortablely hot. Just slightly more warmer to touch.
This alone and the battery play time are pretty much the deciding factors for me

Nov 29, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #8,065 of 15,648

Been enjoying the multitude of details via DSD Remastering in recent days~ As "pure" as it gets for me.

Nov 29, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #8,067 of 15,648
Agreed! I also love it, just that it drains much battery :frowning2:. I need to be able to doubling the battery capacity or so LOL
Power bank to the rescue lol. I recently bought the Shargeek and am loving it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back