SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Nov 29, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #8,086 of 15,518
I think DSD Remastering has a very nice soft and gentle smoothness to the sound. The more I listen to it, the more becomes more mesmerising. It’s not as detailed in the treble or as dynamic or as three dimensional as compared to DSEE Ultimate but I think it allows you to enjoy music in a calmer perspective, there are certain aspects of the music that you can notice more easily with the non-glaring sound of DSD remastering.
It must be dependent on the connected gears, such as iems and phones. On my ends using MDR/IER and 800s, DSD-Remastering has better controls, better textures, sharper attacks, more definitive resonances and transients, slightly better dynamic than all other DSP.

The best of using the other DSP is actually that it is feeling very very close to NOS and R2R systems, even better in some senses.

IMO, none of these features sound bad. Especially if you love sigma delta DAC, the DSD-remastering is a must have and fallen in love at the first time for sure. The only down side is the 8 hours playback time. If only I could find a better battery that prolong the play time with this, it would definitely be my go to :p

Nov 29, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #8,087 of 15,518
It must be dependent on the connected gears, such as iems and phones. On my ends using MDR/IER and 800s, DSD-Remastering has better controls, better textures, sharper attacks, more definitive resonances and transients, slightly better dynamic than all other DSP.

The best of using the other DSP is actually that it is feeling very very close to NOS and R2R systems, even better in some senses.

IMO, none of these features sound bad. Especially if you love sigma delta DAC, the DSD-remastering is a must have and fallen in love at the first time for sure. The only down side is the 8 hours playback time. If only I could find a better battery that prolong the play time with this, it would definitely be my go to :p
I find DSD Remastering to have a more aggressive noise shaping, it reduces away some of the airy atmosphere that DSEE Ultimate presents in spatially rich recordings.

why not just get a usb-c slim power bank? I have a 10,000mah anker one for like $30usd and it helps to keep the Walkman able to run for days without a wall charger.

Nov 30, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #8,088 of 15,518
Sorry for asking, but tried to read about this online and here and not clear to me. Either Walkman is really limited as of current firmware when it comes to streaming as a lot of the technology for upsampling and tuning doesn’t apply to the Tidal, Apple etc as that’s not part of the “Sony sound engine”. I’ll get good sound from streaming, but if I really want the good stuff - it’s all about locally stored files for Sony… compared to some of the other DAP’s who’s implemented Bitperfect and most settings into the Android system.

Simplified, but hopefully clear.

Nov 30, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #8,089 of 15,518
DSP does affect streaming applications, I have tested it with AM and Youtube Music. The difference is an audio path inside the Android system.

Nov 30, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #8,090 of 15,518
I'm looking to buy my first high quality audio player; having only an ipod touch from 2013 until now (which I like, but have no idea how it stacks up to stuff in this subforum). It's between this and the HiBy RS2. Anyone know if there's a substantial difference in sound quality between the two? I'm not going to be using it for streaming music; just files I have downloaded or ripped from CDs. Thanks.

Nov 30, 2022 at 3:17 AM Post #8,091 of 15,518
I'm looking to buy my first high quality audio player; having only an ipod touch from 2013 until now (which I like, but have no idea how it stacks up to stuff in this subforum). It's between this and the HiBy RS2. Anyone know if there's a substantial difference in sound quality between the two? I'm not going to be using it for streaming music; just files I have downloaded or ripped from CDs. Thanks.

Not exactly in same audio price bracket those two! Or weight, or size or OS...

If the RS2 sounds better (not heard but have had Hiby R3/R5's) then the industry is all just a con :smile: (which I think much of it is).

All I can say is I've had Hiby, Fiio & Sony in recent years and I always end up sticking with just one Sony DAP. WM1A/ZM2 Sounds great, designed great, looks great, plenty battery, streaming apps fine and just works. You might want to wait for the upcoming ZX707 next year as will be smaller/ lighter and expected faster/newer CPU/OS, but you would expect to be a bit lower sound quality (who knows yet) than the WM1AM/Z2's. We are expecting only OK battery life too like the ZX507.

Most would not class RS2 in the "high-end" bracket if that means anything other than "high-cost" bracket. :rolling_eyes:

If you like having money in the bank and maybe an addictive personality, then don't get into this hobby/cult :scream: :smile:

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #8,092 of 15,518
Sorry for asking, but tried to read about this online and here and not clear to me. Either Walkman is really limited as of current firmware when it comes to streaming as a lot of the technology for upsampling and tuning doesn’t apply to the Tidal, Apple etc as that’s not part of the “Sony sound engine”. I’ll get good sound from streaming, but if I really want the good stuff - it’s all about locally stored files for Sony… compared to some of the other DAP’s who’s implemented Bitperfect and most settings into the Android system.

Simplified, but hopefully clear.
As an ex owner of the iBasso 300Max, I must quantify that "bit-perfect" isn't the only part of the chain that matters. Sony won for me, by a significant margin, which is why i sold the 3Max after 2 weeks+ of comparison.

Nov 30, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #8,094 of 15,518
As an ex owner of the iBasso 300Max, I must quantify that "bit-perfect" isn't the only part of the chain that matters. Sony won for me, by a significant margin, which is why i sold the 3Max after 2 weeks+ of comparison.
Yes, I am just gathering data points as it will be down to RS8 or the Sony for me. Size, heat, sound, usability, functionality are all things I’ll consider - not in any particular order.

Nov 30, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #8,095 of 15,518
what about the sony vs diablo?

Ah different use case for me. I would not use IEMs with the Diablo. Currently using it to feed my desktop rig -> headphones. Similarly I don't run any headphones out of the walkman, except the R10 which I do use sometimes.

So it would not be a fair comparison there. I do not intend to try and compare the R10 out of the Diablo vs out of Walkman either as it serves no practical purpose.

That said, I've hardly touched my Diablo + Cayin HA300Mk2 since getting the WM1ZM2 so... :beyersmile:

Yes, I am just gathering data points as it will be down to RS8 or the Sony for me. Size, heat, sound, usability, functionality are all things I’ll consider - not in any particular order.

I would like to listen to the RS8 someday too. Love my little RU6 much. But the RS6 wasn't justified back when I auditioned them. That said, I'm really satisfied where I am right now and feel no temptation to try anything else at the moment... much to the delight of the wife xD

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #8,096 of 15,518
Some of us here do save a lot of power consumption by using the Walkman instead of using our desktop rigs that has desktop pc/mac or streaming transports, class A or Tube amps.

Take to account that this M2 Walkman is an all in one device which does the job of music server/streaming/dsp/headamp/Bluetooth/usb source output and usb input.

The rated current consumption of the Walkman by Sony Manuals is only 2.6A. Basing on 5V as its battery operation voltage, it means it only uses like 13watts or much lesser with no wifi/bt and no lcd screen lit up.

The sound quality per watt is probably one of the top out there especially given it’s digital direct class D topology and not to mention it has very low heat output which doesn’t heat up the room(compared to desktop rig or monster sized dap).

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #8,097 of 15,518
Sony dsd remastering engine is using a unique Sony loss-free algorithm. I think they might be referring to Sony’s own Super Bit Mapping special noise shaper algorithm.
C7CD3AD4-3565-49BC-82F8-345AB9E7E823.jpeg

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/ST...o/Manuals/White Paper - Super Bit Mapping.pdf

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #8,098 of 15,518
Nov 30, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #8,099 of 15,518
This was back in 2021 and they just used very standard equipment like an Objective 2 Amplifier from 10years ago. Given that the M2 Walkman has the ultra precise low phase noise crystal clocks, DSEE Ultimate AI Processing with the super low noise, super low distortion S-Master HX amp, the Spatial sound imaging on M2 Walkman will be even more accurate and precise than this studio's headphone rig.

https://www.ecoustics.com/articles/sony-360-reality-audio-tour/

The next part of the demo transitioned to headphone listening. Could Sony transfer the same experience into headphones? Not special headphones, but the headphones like ones you probably already own.

Sony 360 Reality Audio Headphone Front
Sony 360 Reality Audio Headphone Rig Rear

Sony 360 Reality Audio Headphone Rig
Before that could happen, there was a setup procedure that was very unique. They had me place tiny microphones in each ear like an earbud. Then they ran a series of test tones from each speaker, like you’d hear when calibrating an A/V receiver. The same test tones were repeated with the headphones on. What I believe this measured was the exact time it took sound to reach each ear. According to Sony, even ear shape and size matters. With my hearing profile saved, the same two songs were played back through Sony headphones.

Although the music didn’t feel like the 1900 watts of power previously blast at me, all the same spatial queues and depth were there. The magic trick worked. Sounds were above me, behind me, up and to the right, below and to the left. The same 360 degree soundstage as before, but a far more intimate experience that would shake any core beliefs held by even seasoned audiophiles.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #8,100 of 15,518
So how does the DSD remastering on the DMP Z1 compare to the A2/Z2?

Thanks
I didn't try DSD-Remastering mode using the Sony Store's DMP-Z1. So I can't give you any opinions on how DSD128 upsampling compares to DSD256 upsampling

Although on the M2 Walkman(1AM2), I compared DSD64 music on Direct Source vs Sony's DSD Remaster mode. The 4x upsampling makes DSD music sound even more smoother in it's loudness transitions. DSD64 has a very noticeable jaggy pulsating bass notes while the bass notes on the DSD256 upsampled feels much more smoother, more analogue-like. Also there's a better sense of space/depth in the soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back