SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 9, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #61 of 15,611
Maybe time for Sony to do it again :L3000:.. just bypassing the amp section, like almost all other brands do it these last years.
I know Sony don't have any portable pure amp (with no DAC) in their catalog ... so the chance of such feature like a real line out is very tiny.
The closest that Sony had to something like that was the PHA3, which had an output of 320mw. See here:

http://www.sonypremiumhome.com/high-res-dacs/PHA-3.php

It was designed well but sounded a bit flat, and is almost certainly out of production now.

But pure portable amp, no.

Feb 9, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #62 of 15,611
The problem i see with android is that ot wpies on you and tries to know tou. Maybe it spies for the NSA/FBI

Feb 9, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #63 of 15,611
But this is a line out where you bypass the DAC rather than amp, right? (Because that's how I remember from my previous Sony DAPs). Meaning - if you connect an amp via analog, you're double amping.
Line out is taken after the dac and bypasses the headphone amplification

Feb 9, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #66 of 15,611
Yes, that's what I'm saying. And that's not what's possible on Sony DAPs - the "line out" via the Sony port simply uses another external DAC as the source.
No on the older Sony daps there were actual ananlog line out pins in the WM port and you could buy an adapter with WM plug one end and a 3.5 mm output the other end but the Sony daps of the last 5-6 years no longer support this. On these daps you use the headphone out as “line out” and although you are then technically double amping the S-Master output is very clean and it works quite well

Feb 9, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #67 of 15,611
any hints about power output? or ability to play music from both 3.5 and 4.4 at a time?
Power output the same as current models and I expect that it is either 3.5 or 4.4, not both at the same time

Feb 9, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #70 of 15,611
Native DSD also now possible from 3.5mm jack as well?

No, only from the 4.4 port. The S-Master can do native DSD over the 3.5 port, as it can be experienced with the Walkman One firmware on the classic WM1A/Z.

Feb 9, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #72 of 15,611
any hints about power output? or ability to play music from both 3.5 and 4.4 at a time?
Let me show u the product page of the new NW-WM1ZM2 (golden brick 2): https://www.sony.com.hk/en/electronics/walkman/nw-wm1zm2

You can see the output power in the "Specifications & Features" tab: "MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT (JEITA 16Ω/MW)250mW+250mW (High Gain)"

Hopefully, the first batch will be delivered to customers on 8 April. Few demo units arrived in HK and all sent to local media/press. The demo unit will be available at stores for trial listening later. From their first impression about the golden brick 2... better sound stage, darker background, nice streaming music quality, overall sound quality is much much better than the old golden brick.

Hm... the price is 20% more than that of the previous model... still not so scary, I think... I just pre-ordered one from Sony.

Feb 9, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #73 of 15,611
If these mark 2's are using the same S-Master HX the power output can only be increased through a redesign:

WM1Z/1A original interview:

https://www.sony.jp/walkman/special/flagship/manufacturer/interview02.html

──The headphone output has also been enhanced by the renewal of the "S-Master HX".
Asake Sato [Project Leader]
I agree. This time, we remade it from the semiconductor level, so we succeeded in increasing the output by evolving the internal structure of the semiconductor. In the end, we achieved a high output of 60mW + 60mW (16Ω) for unbalanced output and 250mW + 250mW (16Ω) for balanced output, so if you have a balanced connection, you can now drive headphones with high impedance independently

DMP-Z1 interview:

https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/181101/?s_pid=jp_fsl_dmp_feature_dmp

On the other hand, the flagship Walkman "NW-WM1Z" realizes high sound quality by driving with a clean power supply supplied from the battery. In addition, the Walkman, which has all the elements from the playback device to the amplifier, has no external factors such as power supply that may affect the sound quality, so as long as you charge it, you can take it anywhere. You can immediately enjoy the high-quality sound that has been thoroughly pursued. However, due to restrictions on the size of the main unit, it is not possible to secure a large output that sounds headphones with high impedance.

Reading the first post M2 has upgrades to the power supply, Kimber cable, capacitors, reflow solder and dual clock, no mention of the amp module changing

Do I read correctly M2 converts all PCM files to DSD? 😎

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #74 of 15,611
No on the older Sony daps there were actual ananlog line out pins in the WM port and you could buy an adapter with WM plug one end and a 3.5 mm output the other end but the Sony daps of the last 5-6 years no longer support this. On these daps you use the headphone out as “line out” and although you are then technically double amping the S-Master output is very clean and it works quite well.
As far as the availability of the line-out on "younger" SONY DAPs in concerned, your statement is false. I have managed to connect NW-A55 to Lenco SPB-260BK set of active speakers via a 3-rd party WM-Port to 3,5 mm stereo male jack cable into AUX1 input on the speakers. With this cable it is even possible to adjust the volume on the NW-A55 in case of need as well. I.e. definitely there is no need to use the headphone output and take the risk of double amping.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #75 of 15,611
Reading this while liatening to my DMP-Z1 on DSD-Remaster image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back