SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Nov 5, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #7,276 of 15,745
No wonder it sounds so bloody amazing when just playing 44khz FLAC, my preferred file type.

When CD quality sounds this good there really is no need for hires stuff (is there ever any need for HiRes sorry not meaning to start a debate :wink: )
Trigger event. I've talked about this on here. Nearly all HiRes rock /pop remasters are dynamically crushed brickwalled. Courstesy of the Loudness Wars.

Nov 5, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #7,277 of 15,745
Trigger event. I've talked about this on here. Nearly all HiRes rock /pop remasters are dynamically crushed brickwalled. Courstesy of the Loudness Wars.
We can talk all we want, but there is nothing we can do about it. Apparently though, the gears that tuned with Harman curves can help some what :p

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #7,278 of 15,745
At least in Japan, you often get a slightly differently mixed/mastered version if you buy the Hi-Res Audio.

I am pretty sure this contributes to the 'Hi-Res sounds better" debate, because you're comparing different masters.

But I experienced the same with an Rammstein Album bought on Qobuz. The Hi-Res version sounded much better but was obviously mixed different

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 1:27 AM Post #7,279 of 15,745
I think discussions about a particular uSD that works with the DAP, is good value too is awesome, but perhaps discussions about one uSD card sounds better than another or balanced sounds better than single ended should probably be taken elsewhere because they are always divisive and often result in a long off topic discussion about why one camp is wrong and the other is right.
Anyway it all good here, I can read everyone's opinions and listen to my 1A at the same time. :beerchug:

Nov 6, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #7,280 of 15,745
We can talk all we want, but there is nothing we can do about it.
I respectfully disagree on this part.
We can vote with our wallets.
We can write complaints to music companies. It must have been in this forum where I read about a CD by Metallica that was remixed and reissued due to a very bad mastering and thus disasterous dynamic range.

Apparently though, the gears that tuned with Harman curves can help some what :p
Is there any publicly accessible database where one can check if a gear was tuned with Harman curves?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #7,281 of 15,745
I respectfully disagree on this part.
We can vote with our wallets.
We can write complaints to music companies. It must have been in this forum where I read about a CD by Metallica that was remixed and reissued due to a very bad mastering and thus disasterous dynamic range.

Is there any publicly accessible database where one can check if a gear was tuned with Harman curves?
You can only try to find the frequencies respond graphs and compare it to Harman curve in references

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #7,282 of 15,745
You can only try to find the frequencies respond graphs and compare it to Hartman curve in references
there will roughly be a 70% chance that it is a Hartman curve.

Nov 6, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #7,283 of 15,745
I absolutely love my NW-WM1AM2. It puts me at a sonic level I have never been. I can hear all my favourite music better than ever before. And it's portable! I still have fond memories of my Dad's Sennheiser 600's plugged straight in to my Sony CD player. Funny that I always wished it had an EQ, then wondered why it never sounded as good as that as I cranked the bass later in life. Glad I found Direct again.

Also, I'm trying to bury that rabbit hole. Love my Z7M2's, and the stock cable is good enough for me, but accidentally bought an MMCX Kimber, thinking it was a 1.2m for the Z7M2's. Perfect excuse to upgrade my 1more Triple drivers, best iem's I've owned (amazing on the AM2) and I have the Quad's too (they suck). So the iem's I'm considering are:
Final Audio E5000
7hz Timeless
Campfire Audio Andromeda 2020
Sennheiser IE900
Sony IER-M9
Sony IER-Z1R
I can't afford any of them, so I'll probably get the Z1R's. Then I'll bury and hide that hole for good! Or I could get a back-up AM2 for that price ...
Thanks for letting me rant, Happy Sunday :)

Nov 6, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #7,284 of 15,745
I absolutely love my NW-WM1AM2. It puts me at a sonic level I have never been. I can hear all my favourite music better than ever before. And it's portable! I still have fond memories of my Dad's Sennheiser 600's plugged straight in to my Sony CD player. Funny that I always wished it had an EQ, then wondered why it never sounded as good as that as I cranked the bass later in life. Glad I found Direct again.

Also, I'm trying to bury that rabbit hole. Love my Z7M2's, and the stock cable is good enough for me, but accidentally bought an MMCX Kimber, thinking it was a 1.2m for the Z7M2's. Perfect excuse to upgrade my 1more Triple drivers, best iem's I've owned (amazing on the AM2) and I have the Quad's too (they suck). So the iem's I'm considering are:
Final Audio E5000
7hz Timeless
Sennheiser IE900
Sony IER-M9
Sony IER-Z1R
I can't afford any of them, so I'll probably get the Z1R's. Then I'll bury and hide that hole for good! Or I could get a back-up AM2 for that price ...
If quality components is on your list, do consider ier-z1r. Amazing price at used market.

It has the most amazing build that I have not seen on other astronomical priced out earbuds.

Sony, developed Balanced Amartures. Most out there is using drivers from a couple industrial producers, and one of them is Knowles. The voice coils is with Silver-plated copper (first of it kind)

Sony developed Dynamic driver taken from Z1R with magnesium dome! (Not easy with such little drivers)!!!

Cross-over networks is with audiophile grades capacitors and resistors. Let’s just say film foils capacitors and metallic foils resistors are the best kind to have in high grade audio applications. Especially the F-resistors or Fine-Sound resistors, which is collaborated between Yamaha/Sony for high-end audio performances. Yes, they are with extra dedications in developments, tolerances and performances. You can see these resistors in all Sony Signatures.

There are more, you can read from the official site. But you get my points. You will not see silver plated voice coil, and or fine sound resistors from other 3-4x cost earbuds

Overall, Z1R has a hit and a miss, you gotta wear it right because it is a bit tricky with large body. The signatures could be a little recessed in the mids when compare to other more neutral one. However, the soundstage, imagines, cues of positioning is to die for. Then comes that ”bass”. That bass is down right delicious, vivids, most amazing, coherence, energetic, articulated bass I have ever heard from ears buds….well, I don’t use ears buds much. But, taking my experiences from full sizes, the Z1R being an ears buds with bass performances this way is “ridiculous”. Even some full sizes will struggle where the Z1R doesn’t. It is warmth, musical, but with great textures and resolutions.

It is the most underrated ears buds in this hobby. But then again, it isn’t flat out neutral or references. I think Sony must have taken into accounts all of the activities wearing Z1R, because for daily commutes, your footsteps, your breathings, sound being isolated….etc….all the distractions, you still find the Z1R to be so wonderful in it performances. Where some other buds will be lacking slams, or bass…etc…(yes, our ears and brain can filter noises out, including sounds)

This is what I told my friend. If I wanted references systems, I go for full sizes and a desktop. If I want neutral, I go for full sizes and somewhat capable portable. If I use ears buds, it is because I walk around, sitting in the park, chilling, enjoying my music, then that is where Z1R excelled at.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #7,285 of 15,745

Final Audio E5000
7hz Timeless
Sennheiser IE900
Sony IER-M9
Sony IER-Z1R
Give the Campfire Atlas a look too, they are still available on the CF website but discontinued I believe.

The WM1AM2 has awakened my love for my Atlas, they seem a great match for each other.

One little warning about the form factor and driver flex issues many owners have but if you can get over those two, the Atlas is a great IEM.

Nov 6, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #7,286 of 15,745
Sorry for the late, brief reply.
If quality components is on your list, do consider ier-z1r. Amazing price at used market.

It has the most amazing build that I have not seen on other astronomical priced out earbuds.

Sony, developed Balanced Amartures. Most out there is using drivers from a couple industrial producers, and one of them is Knowles. The voice coils is with Silver-plated copper (first of it kind)

Sony developed Dynamic driver taken from Z1R with magnesium dome! (Not easy with such little drivers)!!!

Cross-over networks is with audiophile grades capacitors and resistors. Let’s just say film foils capacitors and metallic foils resistors are the best kind to have in high grade audio applications. Especially the F-resistors or Fine-Sound resistors, which is collaborated between Yamaha/Sony for high-end audio performances. Yes, they are with extra dedications in developments, tolerances and performances. You can see these resistors in all Sony Signatures.

There are more, you can read from the official site. But you get my points. You will not see silver plated voice coil, and or fine sound resistors from other 3-4x cost earbuds

Overall, Z1R has a hit and a miss, you gotta wear it right because it is a bit tricky with large body. The signatures could be a little recessed in the mids when compare to other more neutral one. However, the soundstage, imagines, cues of positioning is to die for. Then comes that ”bass”. That bass is down right delicious, vivids, most amazing, coherence, energetic, articulated bass I have ever heard from ears buds….well, I don’t use ears buds much. But, taking my experiences from full sizes, the Z1R being an ears buds with bass performances this way is “ridiculous”. Even some full sizes will struggle where the Z1R doesn’t. It is warmth, musical, but with great textures and resolutions.

It is the most underrated ears buds in this hobby. But then again, it isn’t flat out neutral or references. I think Sony must have taken into accounts all of the activities wearing Z1R, because for daily commutes, your footsteps, your breathings, sound being isolated….etc….all the distractions, you still find the Z1R to be so wonderful in it performances. Where some other buds will be lacking slams, or bass…etc…(yes, our ears and brain can filter noises out, including sounds)

This is what I told my friend. If I wanted references systems, I go for full sizes and a desktop. If I want neutral, I go for full sizes and somewhat capable portable. If I use ears buds, it is because I walk around, sitting in the park, chilling, enjoying my music, then that is where Z1R excelled at.
Thank you very very much for pointing me to the used market. Being able to save $1000 make these much more likely to be what I get after a couple more reality checks, and some Black Friday browsing. I feel like these are one of those things I'd wished I'd gotten, ten years from now. Had that feeling six years ago with the first WMZ1/A1. Glad for the opportunity to get the AM2. Thank you again for the outstanding recommendation.
Give the Campfire Atlas a look too, they are still available on the CF website but discontinued I believe.

The WM1AM2 has awakened my love for my Atlas, they seem a great match for each other.

One little warning about the form factor and driver flex issues many owners have but if you can get over those two, the Atlas is a great IEM.
I kinda forgot about the Atlas after not being able to find the them. Got quite interested after reading up the Honeydew's (I'm a bit of a basshead). I'd definitely get the Atlas ahead of Andromeda at their current price. Thank you very much.

Nov 6, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #7,287 of 15,745
Nov 7, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #7,290 of 15,745

Users who are viewing this thread

Back