SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Sep 22, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #6,393 of 15,604
I'm not a huge fan of driving headphone with Sony Walkman.
I didn't think I would either until I actually tried it... the ES-R10 is really quite amazing with the Sony. Now I'm trying to find another more on-the-go option...

*Update*
I might have found my favourite pairing with the Sony with the Acoustune Sho + Liquid Links Continental. That holographic imaging definitely went up a notch with the more affordable Conti compared to the EA EROS.

Colour me impressed with LL! Satisfied and hoping this lasts me into 2023.. already blew $ on the iPhone 14 Pro Max + Watch Ultra haha..

405D033B-5790-483F-B928-0A811A8C00B8.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #6,394 of 15,604
I didn't think I would either until I actually tried it... the ES-R10 is really quite amazing with the Sony. Now I'm trying to find another more on-the-go option...
Agree. It really depends on the headphones. In any event, for the more difficult to drive headphones, I’d stick to the desktop rig. Hence, suggestions of easy to drive headphones only. :)

Sep 23, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #6,395 of 15,604
Agree. It really depends on the headphones. In any event, for the more difficult to drive headphones, I’d stick to the desktop rig. Hence, suggestions of easy to drive headphones only. :)
I usually use my integrated amplifier’s headphone out to drive my Elear, but sometimes the room was occupied by my gf for her zoom meetings. Therefore I need a good isolating headphones to use in somewhere else :o2smile:

Sep 23, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #6,396 of 15,604
Hi folks, anyone is using your WM1AM2 with headphones?

Considering to buy a closed back to use with my 1AM2. Not sure if I should ask in the headphones forum instead, but I think opinions from owners of 1AM2 would be more valuable.

I own a Focal Elear already, but the sound is not great and I doubt if it would be quite hard for 1AM2 to drive it. Now considering the following which seems easier to drive:

Massdrop X Beyerdynamic DT 177X Go / Drop + Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X
The problem with them is that I cannot do any audition so could only base on other's comments. Cable with 4.4mm plug is also a problem, the official cable from DCA is too expensive given the price of the headphone itself. And it seems DT 177X is the only headphone by Beyerdynamic using 4-pin mini XLR so there is no cable available from Beyerdynamic. There are aftermarket cables from various brands (I choose not to post them here as it is not my intention to "advertise" them), but the shipping from UK/US to my place is simply ridiculous comparing to the cables itself, and most of them only offer OCC copper while I personally like silver more. DIY would be the last resort, but both uses some odd connecters which is hard to grab. (DCA does sell ones on their website, but again postage is a problem for me)

Focal Celestee / Radience
Demo units are available in local stores so I could give them a try before I buy, but the price is really a problem (more than twice as expansive as DT177X/Aeon Closed X). Not really worth as I think I would use headphones for only a few hours per week. On the other hand the cable is easy to find/build as they use 3.5mm mono connectors as I know (I have built a few cables for my Elear already, I think they should work with Celestee/Radience as well).

Any comment is welcome, or other suggestions on closed models?
(budget is around $1000 USD)
I use the HiFiMan HE-R9 with my ZX300(getting my 1AM2 soon)...will be using the R9 with that too.
They are very easy to drive nd have a wide warm sound. I think they are $370 now.

I have a pair of Arya V2 also,the ZX300 doesn't do it justice.

Sep 24, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #6,397 of 15,604
I use the HiFiMan HE-R9 with my ZX300(getting my 1AM2 soon)...will be using the R9 with that too.
They are very easy to drive nd have a wide warm sound. I think they are $370 now.

I have a pair of Arya V2 also,the ZX300 doesn't do it justice.
disappointment with the EU volume limit. Firmware update now!
This message is to make a formal complaint about new and not so new hi-res audio devices. All the devices are in two versions (free or limited), the device from the European Union has a limitation in the output power and you cannot use headphones of more than 40 ohms, even those of 30 are already low volume. What sense does this make for such an expensive audio device?

There have been and continue to be many complaints from users because they do not understand or accept the volume limitation of devices. We know that there is a European law that nobody respects except sony, and that disappoints a large part of the users who are paying for a strongly limited device.

You can check forums, amazon reviews and even sony website reviews where users are constantly complaining about these limitations. It is unacceptable for a high-end device to have such criticism.

Please send this complaint to the appropriate channels so that in the near future they can reverse this very annoying situation. We require a firmware update that will reverse this issue or alleviate it in some way.

Finally, put yourself in our shoes, if you had to buy a device for the same price, which would you choose? a limited device? or a unlocked device?

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #6,398 of 15,604
This message is to make a formal complaint about new and not so new hi-res audio devices. All the devices are in two versions (free or limited), the device from the European Union has a limitation in the output power and you cannot use headphones of more than 40 ohms, even those of 30 are already low volume. What sense does this make for such an expensive audio device?

There have been and continue to be many complaints from users because they do not understand or accept the volume limitation of devices. We know that there is a European law that nobody respects except sony, and that disappoints a large part of the users who are paying for a strongly limited device.

You can check forums, amazon reviews and even sony website reviews where users are constantly complaining about these limitations. It is unacceptable for a high-end device to have such criticism.

Please send this complaint to the appropriate channels so that in the near future they can reverse this very annoying situation. We require a firmware update that will reverse this issue or alleviate it in some way.

Finally, put yourself in our shoes, if you had to buy a device for the same price, which would you choose? a limited device? or a free device?
You don’t have to buy it.

The only way Sony will learn is in the drop of sales.
All the time Sony use the combination of dac/amp the power output will be low.
They address this by saying the battery life is very long.
You can’t have great battery life and big power at the same time.

You have to make a choice.
Shame really as I think Sony would sell more.

Sep 24, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #6,399 of 15,604

Finally, put yourself in our shoes, if you had to buy a device for the same price, which would you choose? a limited device? or a free device?
Import if must have one. I dropped on one from Amazon.co.jp and near £300 cheaper too. Sony haven’t listened/action back to the ZX1. Would sooner have low EU sales over correctly interpreting EU rule (DAP with supplied earphones).

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #6,400 of 15,604
You don’t have to buy it.

Of course you can have enough power for many headphones, just don't buy the EU crippled version.

Sep 24, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #6,401 of 15,604

If you didn't figure this out, Sony has no presence on this forum so you are preaching to the choir...

Sep 24, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #6,402 of 15,604
Even the uncapped version is lacking in power compared to the competition.
All of the other daps have more power but less battery life.
Do wish Sony would change this.
If iems are all you want to use the Sony dap is of course a great option.

Quick question do the new Sony daps have a line out to maybe add a portable amp?

Sep 24, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #6,403 of 15,604
Even the uncapped version is lacking in power compared to the competition.
All of the other daps have more power but less battery life.
Do wish Sony would change this.
If iems are all you want to use the Sony dap is of course a great option.

Quick question do the new Sony daps have a line out to maybe add a portable amp?
My Hiby R5II has far more power even without class A mode and more battery too.

I just have the 1AM2 and Hiby now.

Sep 24, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #6,404 of 15,604

Sony is a (or used to be?) a huge MNC, it's ridiculous to expect them to break the law. What you can do is raise awareness in EU and petition against the law to perhaps exclude certain types of (audiophile?) devices perhaps.

No one is going to try suing iBasso or Cayin who are based in China... but you can be sure someone will do a class action the moment Sony tries to do the same. I would blame the EU rather than a law abiding company.

The normal non-EU sets have decent volume (too loud even on my 300ohm HD800S) and still have good battery life. With the same earphones, I get more out of them (all bells and whistles on) than the iBasso DX300 Max (non-ultimate mode).

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #6,405 of 15,604
No, but the 4.4 out is VERY clean. Dead quiet.. even at 120 volume but I keep it at 110 when using as line-out. In fact I'm hooked on using the WM1ZM2 to my amps currently... can't get enough of the Sony sound.

So yes, that could be a solution especially if you have something like the Woo Audio WA8, makes an incredible albeit heavy pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back