SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jun 5, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #4,771 of 15,603
Why specify it though, it is what it is, in Europe for European buyers its meeting the EU requirements in the best way Sony can.

I'm sure there are plenty of other things that are legal to buy in other parts of the world but disabled for in products for sale in the EU. I don't think those manufacturers disclose these "capped" features to EU buyers either.

Why should there be an expectation of everyone knowing about this law/the volume cap? If they are mentioning the absence of High Gain, why can't they also mention the lower volume altogether? So yes, I think it's false advertising in a way.

Even after buying an EU device, if you cannot compare the volume with a non-EU one you'd probably think that they sound the same.

Also, watch this: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkman/nw-wm1am2/specifications - the output power in the specs page is the same, even mentioning "High Gain", lol. Seems low effort (at least!).

Jun 5, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #4,773 of 15,603
False advertising? :thinking: How following a mandatory regulation can be considered false advertising?

Maybe, but why mention the same output power like on non-capped players, for example?

Also, omitting facts sounds like false advertising to me. You think you buy something, based on any mention that you can find in Sony's specs/manual, but you end up buying less. I think people should be made aware about that, otherwise it's like fooling them. Maybe some people wouldn't buy the players if they'd know that they're capped. Let the people choose.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkman/nw-wm1am2/specifications

Jun 5, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #4,774 of 15,603
I have received this week the Dignis Midas II case for the WM1ZM2.

Quick delivery, everything went fine except the 21 euros custom clearance fees that the 🤬 courrier added to the 21 euros taxes.

As always with Dignis the case is really nice, high quality and well built 🤩

dignis1.png

dignis2.png

dignis3.png

dignis4.png

dignis5.png

dignis6.png

Jun 5, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #4,775 of 15,603
I have received this week the Dignis Midas II case for the WM1ZM2.

Quick delivery, everything went fine except the 21 euros custom clearance fees that the 🤬 courrier added to the 21 euros taxes.

As always with Dignis the case is really nice, high quality and well built 🤩

dignis1.png

dignis2.png

dignis3.png

dignis4.png

dignis5.png

dignis6.png
Looks good! :)

Jun 5, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #4,777 of 15,603
Why specify it though, it is what it is, in Europe for European buyers its meeting the EU requirements in the best way Sony can.

I'm sure there are plenty of other things that are legal to buy in other parts of the world but disabled for in products for sale in the EU. I don't think those manufacturers disclose these "capped" features to EU buyers either.
Because you can't sell a product advertising global specs while knowingly under-speccing it. If the EU doesn't mandate manufacturers to clearly mark their products as EU compliant (when they deviate from spec) then that's as much a failure of the legislation. We happen to be fairly knowlegable in these things, being on this forum, but how is someone non-technical expected to know. Just because they may not know the difference doesn't make it any less wrong, in my opinion. The solution is simple - just add fine print to say 'this product has limited volume output in compliance with EU legislation'.
Also, watch this: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkman/nw-wm1am2/specifications - the output power in the specs page is the same, even mentioning "High Gain", lol. Seems low effort (at least!).
Quite right - I'm not sure how anyone can argue this isn't false advertising at worst, or misleading at best. Who's to blame is a different story - if EU law doesn't mandate warning labels, then the law is partly at fault too. If Sony wants to keep selling it without a warning, they must at least make the limited output power clear in the specs.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #4,779 of 15,603
Anyway we are getting away from my point which is why buy it in the first place and then leave a poor review? At that point it becomes a snide way of getting back at Sony for following the law. If a buyer genuinely didn't know about the low output power, then just return it and move on.

One good thing about EU law that nobody moans about, the right to return an item if it doesn't meet the specs or requirements.

Enough with the bad reviews based purely on output power already people. :)

Jun 5, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #4,780 of 15,603
Anyway we are getting away from my point which is why buy it in the first place and then leave a poor review? At that point it becomes a snide way of getting back at Sony for following the law. If a buyer genuinely didn't know about the low output power, then just return it and move on.

One good thing about EU law that nobody moans about, the right to return an item if it doesn't meet the specs or requirements.

Enough with the bad reviews based purely on output power already people. :)
I think what makes it worse for Sony (and unwitting users) is that they're probably one of the very, very few brands complying with the law. I'll bet even most phones have more output power nowadays.

Jun 5, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #4,781 of 15,603
Not sure about the color; I did a very conservative choice here ...
Maybe the blue would have been a better choice.
But I'll buy the upcoming Walkman and brown Patina case so I'll have other choices 😁
Yeah… the brown patina case I picked up looks very appropriate with the 1ZM2. :)

Jun 5, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #4,783 of 15,603
I think what makes it worse for Sony (and unwitting users) is that they're probably one of the very, very few brands complying with the law. I'll bet even most phones have more output power nowadays.
Even Sony's own phones, probably. :wink:

Nobody knows why Sony does this with their MP3 Players, their terminology BTW.

Perhaps they are listening though, but I doubt it. Not sure is this has already been posted. Interesting that the review gets equal positive and negative feedback, its a true "Marmite" subject.

1654420194785.png

Jun 5, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #4,784 of 15,603
Another review on Amazon UK moaning about the low output volume and two stars. What is wrong with people, surely everyone spending > £1000 on a DAP knows about the volume cap now. Either import from another region or buy another DAP.

I can't even order one no stock in UK. I know it will be perfect for my use, these Somoaners sound so ungrateful at least they got to actually own this awesome DAP.
Made me laugh 😃

Better go kiss the Sony 💍

Maybe you would be happy with a Ferarri thats limited to 50mph ? And paying more for it too!

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #4,785 of 15,603
Why is Sony not specifying this directly, something like "Units bought in Europe will have a decreased volume output"? As far as I know, they only specify on their help menu that the high gain option may not be present, which is not all of it.
It is buried in the documentation if you dig. They do want to try and sell some in EU you know.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back