SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 21, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #4,456 of 15,722
So I guess the wait continues. I will have to make due with my original WM1Z :wink:
Still no sign as to when Amazon or Sony USA will be receiving these. Both do not even have a preorder page up yet.
Don't be so sad!!! It was a no expense spared no stone left unturned player...almost a thought experiment by Sony only 5 years ago...i think a lot of the reviews for the upgrade smack a little of classic recency bias...

...and in no small measure to DSP changes to produce a more "holographic" image...Im not sold on that "improvement" yet...given some of the sony 360 audio bleed which I think is happening....

and spending all my time being an Android de-engineer ...tearing bits out so we can get off the carrier runway ... Wondering if taking the wheels of might hinder later landing....is not my idea of fun....

Last edited:
May 21, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #4,457 of 15,722
Do these stores have them in stock and is it possible to use a buying service to ship to the States? Curious how much customs duty into the US would be - I think it depends on what harmonized tariff code the buying service uses when shipping it in
e-earphone has some in stock and you can use a forwarding service to buy them

May 21, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #4,458 of 15,722
Do these stores have them in stock and is it possible to use a buying service to ship to the States? Curious how much customs duty into the US would be - I think it depends on what harmonized tariff code the buying service uses when shipping it in
I paid USD 23 shipping via Buyee forwarder and USD 43 import fees for WM1ZM2 from Japan.

May 21, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #4,460 of 15,722
Yup got this with my 1ZM2 too. I think this is the memorabilia that Sony gave out to the first batch of preorder (according to Sony Singapore when I preordered mines back in end Feb.
Yup. It’s part of the pre-order package.

May 21, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #4,463 of 15,722
WM1ZM2 v WM1ZM1 (Mr. Walkman) Impressions at 40 hours

Disclaimer: I try to be as rational as possible, and these are my subjective impressions. Note that 'new toy' lens is in effect, blah, blah, etc.

IEM used: IER-Z1R

Have been switching between the 1ZM1 and the 1ZM2 all week and I'll start with the short and sweet.

The 1ZM2 is a clear upgrade over the 1ZM1 in terms of technical performance. Contrary to spec-sheet, the 1ZM2 is not a side-grade. Rendering of details (superb non-fatiguing treble), imaging (spacial cues, 3 dimensionality, depth, height, layering) is on another level.

Bass hits deeper and is voluminous in quantity.

Treble is interesting, on first impressions is deceptively laid back, however as you get familiar with the 1ZM2's presentation it becomes clear it is rendering more details than the 1ZM1 and is effortless in it's presentation. I was casually picking new minor backing sounds without concentrating or in a critical listening mindset.

The most exciting aspect of the 1ZM2 sound is how cohesive the sound field is, both L&R channels play 'deeper' into my head, and gives the impression/ illusion of listening to loudspeakers. Although it's not chest thumping, clean bass from a DAP/ IEM going deep into my head is a new experience to me.

The one technical aspect that the M1 has over the stock M2 is using Mr Walkman's CFW is with the extra high gain modes active, the M1 can get 10-15 points louder. Useful for harder to drive IEMs/ headphones.

Where things get subjective (as usual with comparisions between WM1 series devices) is the tonality.

The 1ZM2 is darker than the 1ZM1 and you end up losing forwardness in vocal presentation. On brighter Mr Walkman CFW settings the 1ZM1 produces a crisper sound. For example guitars have more of a bite on the M1.

Although the 1ZM2 is sounding less congested after additional listening/ burn-in. There is still a slight nasally quality that it adds to vocals.

In a word:

1ZM1 = engaging
1ZM2 = immersive

1653159399132.png

*Sorry for the potato-quality pic

Last edited:
May 21, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #4,466 of 15,722
hi, do you have the new turbo mode that mrwalkman has not released yet? thank you
What turbo mode, I thought the latest was Mr Walkman One FW?

May 21, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #4,469 of 15,722
yes this mode and with Walkman One but you have to add a firmware. To give you an idea before my listening volume was 75/120 and with the firmawre I am at 35/120.
Is it already available now and where can I find it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back