SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 21, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #4,441 of 15,710
112F3A74-975C-4345-9AEB-54B77FF449F8.jpeg

Got this from Sony Australia in the mail today

May 21, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #4,442 of 15,710
Sony recently released a new headphone app, version bumped up to 9.0 with changelog stating support for new models.(without stating any other changes)

And from what I am hearing from my ier-m9, it sounds like they could have made changes to the spatial sound virtualizer algorithms this time round. The sense of surround feels changed.

or maybe you inserted your M9s 2 microns less

May 21, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #4,444 of 15,710
My first post here and more of a sharing of the experience of my brand spanking new WM1ZM2 which I pre-ordered back in February. I got my pre-order on 13-Apr and guess what, the 4.4mm Jack spoilt! I sent to Sony service center (I live in Singapore) on 14-Apr. And a month passed they still have not contacted me on the repair completion (what they gave me was “your repair will be completed from 11-May onwards”!!!! and they don’t seem to bother to give me any 1-to-1 replacement either. For a flagship product that costs a few good thousands dollars and this is what I ended up with, a lemon and a bad service that left a bad taste in my mouth. I also own the original WM1Z, no problem whatsoever for the passed years, their new flagship somehow has a very poor QC. Be careful if you think of buying this so called new Sony flagship.

Sorry but I just back read on this thread again. Wait, you discovered after 1 day of receiving your M2 that the 4.4mm jack is defective - you should have informed the retailer of the defect (not Service Center) and should have demanded a 1 to 1 exchange as allowed by MTI (https://www.mti.gov.sg/Legislation/...ection-Fair-Trading-Act-and-Hire-Purchase-Act) for Sony Singapore - it's 7 days (https://store.sony.com.sg/pages/faq/?locale=en)

I have used this rule many times and asked nicely for a 1 to 1 exhange on many of my electronic purchases, (I complained of cosmetic issues mostly, but a few are also technical in nature) by right the retailer should replace it - not do a warranty repair. My latest claim on this was a cosmetic defect on my SE180 - I discovered the defect after reaching home, went back to the retailer the next day which they happily replaced with a new unit.

But, Sony Singapore already repaired it. So I guess this will just be additional info for you for your future electronic purchases.

Last edited:
May 21, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #4,445 of 15,710
It’s quite difficult to point out exactly what sound changes I am hearing with the headphone app update but it seems to me that the virtual speakers are placed further away but has slightly increased loudness, especially on the centre voice virtual speakers. Also it feels that more instruments are being channeled to the virtual speakers at the top, sides and the rear, rather than being produced solely by the front virtual speakers.

So the spatial effect now feels even more surround-like with more chances of sound elements appearing from different directions.

Again in my opinion to experience this spatial audio effect, you have to own Sony iem/headphone(preferably on 4.4mm balanced), add the headphone device profile, with uploaded ear photo.

Also I recommend using hi-res streaming mode on with dsee ultimate turned on to further enhance the 3D spatial effect. And yes I am experiencing this spatial effect from Walkman music app playing back regular stereo flac music.

Last edited:
May 21, 2022 at 2:30 AM Post #4,446 of 15,710
Sorry but I just back read on this thread again. Wait, you discovered after 1 day of receiving your M2 that the 4.4mm jack is defective - you should have informed the retailer of the defect (not Service Center) and should have demanded a 1 to 1 exchange as allowed by MTI (https://www.mti.gov.sg/Legislation/...ection-Fair-Trading-Act-and-Hire-Purchase-Act) for Sony Singapore - it's 7 days (https://store.sony.com.sg/pages/faq/?locale=en)

I have used this rule many times and asked nicely for a 1 to 1 exhange on many of my electronic purchases, (I complained of cosmetic issues mostly, but a few are also technical in nature) by right the retailer should replace it - not do a warranty repair. My latest claim on this was a cosmetic defect on my SE180 - I discovered the defect after reaching home, went back to the retailer the next day which they happily replaced with a new unit.

But, Sony Singapore already repaired it. So I guess this will just be additional info for you for your future electronic purchases.
We often are uninformed of the more recent protection laws that Singapore Government have set in place. From Do Not Call registry to Lemon Law to Personal Data Protection Act. It is good to read up on them and know your rights in case of mishaps or incidents that affect you.

May 21, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #4,447 of 15,710
We often are uninformed of the more recent protection laws that Singapore Government have set in place. From Do Not Call registry to Lemon Law to Personal Data Protection Act. It is good to read up on them and know your rights in case of mishaps or incidents that affect you.

Hope my post informs/updates fellow Singapore residents of their rights.

May 21, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #4,448 of 15,710
I believe in Singapore usually when we purchased electronics stuffs, if it’s spoilt within 7 days you would go back to the shop and have it exchanged with them. But unfortunately, for This Z1M2 there’s no one having any stock to exchange even Sony themselves doesn’t have any extra demo set around ( I understand that they were still doing their road show rotation even now).

In Singapore we do have this organisation called “CASE” but they actually do not have any authority whatsoever it’s more of a NGO which charges you $ to mediate the case between consumer and business which based on what I heard, the most they do would be to put the business on their back list if they could get business to agreed with consumer unless consumer are willing to fork out of own pocket, this CASE would help to engage the lawyer.

Anyway, all is passed and since I can’t do much about it and I managed to get my unit back and everything is working okay now I would just rest my case here and be a good local Singapore consumer and stop making too much noise.

Last edited:
May 21, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #4,449 of 15,710
I believe in Singapore usually when we purchased electronics stuffs, if it’s spoilt within 7 days you would go back to the shop and have it exchanged with them. But unfortunately, for This Z1M2 there’s no one having any stock to exchange even Sony themselves doesn’t have any extra demo set around ( I understand that they were still doing their road show rotation even now).

In Singapore we do have this organisation called “CASE” but they actually do not have any authority whatsoever it’s more of a NGO which charges you $ to mediate the case between consumer and business which based on what I heard, the most they do would be to put the business on their back list if they could get business to agreed with consumer unless consumer are willing to fork out of own pocket, this CASE would help to engage the lawyer.

Anyway, all is passed and since I can’t do much about it and I managed to get my unit back and everything is working okay now I would just rest my case here and be a good local Singapore consumer and stop making too much noise.

Good for you if you're already happy with the ending of your case :thumbsup:

If this happened to me, I would have asked for a 1 to 1 exchange - but knowing of stock shortage, I would have waited. I just don't want my brand new units being opened immediately, specially for the price I have paid for it - but this is just me.

May 21, 2022 at 3:04 AM Post #4,450 of 15,710
Good for you if you're already happy with the ending of your case :thumbsup:

If this happened to me, I would have asked for a 1 to 1 exchange - but knowing of stock shortage, I would have waited. I just don't want my brand new units being opened immediately, specially for the price I have paid for it - but this is just me.
Usually I think the 1-1 exchange would be the refurbished one. My friend got his original 1Z exchanged but it’s actually the refurbished one for exchange anyway.

May 21, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #4,451 of 15,710
Usually I think the 1-1 exchange would be the refurbished one. My friend got his original 1Z exchanged but it’s actually the refurbished one for exchange anyway.

I always get the same sealed retail units. :wink:

EDIT TO ADD:

I believe if the unit is outside the 7-day window (but within 1 year period) - then manufacturers can exchange the unit for a refurbished one. Else, if it's within 7 days, by right it should always be a brand new unit.

Last edited:
May 21, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #4,454 of 15,710
112F3A74-975C-4345-9AEB-54B77FF449F8.jpeg
Got this from Sony Australia in the mail today
Yep, got mine from Sony Australia on Friday too. Heard of it was supposed to be packaged with the Walkmans but nice of Sony Australia to post it separately! I know it's mostly marketing and PR, but the coolest aspect of the Signature Series products would be getting the know the people and the stories behind the products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back