SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 16, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #4,306 of 15,525
hey friends, i just bought a brand new wm1z but meanwhile i also highly enjoy my m17.

i was used to listening to music ONLY via my sd card. and i was used to buy a full album and listen to them.

however, with the fiio m17 i felt moe and more comfortable to enjoy tidal hifi plus (master songs) streaming.

i am not sure if i should stick to my wm1z or give it back and buy a wm1zm2 instead.

i love the sony os on the wma1 / 1z. however, due to this forum and different sub-threads, i created a folder in tidal "head-fi" and created category-based playlists of those (master) songs i highly enjoy.

the cheapest way to enjoy the songs is via a tidal hifi plus abo. the other way would be to buy each song / album on qobuz as i did in the past.

i wouldn't even know how to get this playlist and songs onto my sd card as cheap as possible as i would do in the past: either i can buy each song or i have to buy the full album due to 1 song.

since 70% of the time i listen at home (20% at work, 10% during a walk), i might buy the TAZ and connect it to my laptop and stream via tidal? or i just connect the wm1z directly to my laptop and stream via tidal.

but i wouldn't have these issues when just buying the wm1zm2 i think.
I would definitely go for the m2s. We are spending crazy amount of money to listen to music. At that point, I think it's important widen our music library as well and that can most likely be done with streaming. If cost is an issue I would downgrade to wm1am2 but sonyos, to me at least, is not the answer now.

May 16, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #4,307 of 15,525
Seems those who don’t have the m2s are the ones who have “issues” with it, but us who are actually have it enjoy it so much haha…

With regards to using android, the sony wm1am2 sounds better than daps that bypasses the android mixer, even those daps that claim bit perfect playback… at the end of the day, if they sound better, then who are we to argue with sony sound engineers? :)
Good thing i am no expert and just prefer excellent sound, whether android or not as long as it has streaming as half of my listening usage are on apple music and tidal.
I had it, my only complaint was specific to UK version capping/No high gain. Its a beautiful player.

Last edited:
May 16, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #4,308 of 15,525
Are sound adjustments (dsee ultimate, dsd remaster etc) supposed to affect all apps like tidal and uapp? i'm asking because i was doing an A/B comparison with uapp and the walkman app and noticed that dsd remastering makes a significant change on the walkman app but not uapp. the volume immediately drops and becomes softer when playing the walkman app. For uapp it appears to do almost nothing.

May 16, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #4,310 of 15,525
Are sound adjustments (dsee ultimate, dsd remaster etc) supposed to affect all apps like tidal and uapp? i'm asking because i was doing an A/B comparison with uapp and the walkman app and noticed that dsd remastering makes a significant change on the walkman app but not uapp. the volume immediately drops and becomes softer when playing the walkman app. For uapp it appears to do almost nothing.
Does using uapp on sony allow bit perfect? It sound better with streaming app? Thk. I have no experience on uapp, do advise.

May 16, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #4,311 of 15,525
I'm not sure i'm the best person to answer this but there are settings to enable bit perfect and it does recognize all mqa files. i think i also paid an additonal $2 for mqa compatibility though.

I would need to go back and do a more thorough comparison but initially i thought uapp sounded better than tidal when pulling files offline to test. i think right now i'm enjoying the walkman app the most when using twister6's recommendations but i'm just starting to tinker with other SQ adjustments.

Also fwiw after letting the sony burn in i am noticing that i am enjoying the sound much more than i originally was and i think its probably better overall than my previous sp2k. The power output is definitely lower than the sp2k but i am enjoying the details and ease of listening i get from the sony whereas the sp2k after a while seemed a little more fatiguing. both are great imo.

May 16, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #4,312 of 15,525
I'm not sure i'm the best person to answer this but there are settings to enable bit perfect and it does recognize all mqa files. i think i also paid an additonal $2 for mqa compatibility though.

I would need to go back and do a more thorough comparison but initially i thought uapp sounded better than tidal when pulling files offline to test. i think right now i'm enjoying the walkman app the most when using twister6's recommendations but i'm just starting to tinker with other SQ adjustments.

Also fwiw after letting the sony burn in i am noticing that i am enjoying the sound much more than i originally was and i think its probably better overall than my previous sp2k. The power output is definitely lower than the sp2k but i am enjoying the details and ease of listening i get from the sony whereas the sp2k after a while seemed a little more fatiguing. both are great imo.

Speaking of, finally reached my burn in goal with an amber glow reward

sony-wm1zm2-x18.png

As I'm wrapping up some other reviews, will start listening to ZM2 soon. Also, waiting to receive new Dignis and MITER cases. Will share up close pictures once those arrive.

May 17, 2022 at 1:22 AM Post #4,313 of 15,525
Battery life using the walkman app is remarkable, I’m losing just 2 percent per hour, listening to flac and alac files on the micro sd card, this is with wifi on and stock configuration, i did not debloat at all, even have twitter installed hehe
Using apple music streaming high-res lossless i am losing about 8% per hour, so it will last about more than 10 hours at this rate, more than double my previous zx507 which topped off at 4-5hrs

May 17, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #4,314 of 15,525
Battery life using the walkman app is remarkable, I’m losing just 2 percent per hour, listening to flac and alac files on the micro sd card, this is with wifi on and stock configuration, i did not debloat at all, even have twitter installed hehe
Using apple music streaming high-res lossless i am losing about 8% per hour, so it will last about more than 10 hours at this rate, more than double my previous zx507 which topped off at 4-5hrs
I am also enjoying the long battery life without doing those debloating.

May 17, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #4,315 of 15,525
My first post here and more of a sharing of the experience of my brand spanking new WM1ZM2 which I pre-ordered back in February. I got my pre-order on 13-Apr and guess what, the 4.4mm Jack spoilt! I sent to Sony service center (I live in Singapore) on 14-Apr. And a month passed they still have not contacted me on the repair completion (what they gave me was “your repair will be completed from 11-May onwards”!!!! and they don’t seem to bother to give me any 1-to-1 replacement either. For a flagship product that costs a few good thousands dollars and this is what I ended up with, a lemon and a bad service that left a bad taste in my mouth. I also own the original WM1Z, no problem whatsoever for the passed years, their new flagship somehow has a very poor QC. Be careful if you think of buying this so called new Sony flagship.
An update after Sony took over 1 month to repair my DOA 1ZM2, they said the motherboard needs to be changed. I’m surprised that the motherboard is actually DOA the moment it comes out of its factory. They promised to reset the warrant for me from the date I collect the unit. But this, again, left a very bad impression on buying their TOTL product.

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #4,316 of 15,525
I am looking at getting some sony true wireless earbuds to pair with the wm1am2, is the sony wf-1000xm4 significantly better than the wf-1000xm3? I see the latter being sold at almost half the price of the xm4… thanks in advance

May 17, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #4,317 of 15,525
I am looking at getting some sony true wireless earbuds to pair with the wm1am2, is the sony wf-1000xm4 significantly better than the wf-1000xm3? I see the latter being sold at almost half the price of the xm4… thanks in advance
In my opinion, yes. For one they have LDAC. Must-have for any TWS if you want max SQ. Also, better noise cancelling, and I found the overall SQ better too. I didn't like the look or fit of the XM3 either.

May 17, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #4,318 of 15,525
In my opinion, yes. For one they have LDAC. Must-have for any TWS if you want max SQ. Also, better noise cancelling, and I found the overall SQ better too. I didn't like the look or fit of the XM3 either.
absolutely agree + x4 is much smaller / has a more modern shape than the xm3.

May 17, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #4,320 of 15,525
An update after Sony took over 1 month to repair my DOA 1ZM2, they said the motherboard needs to be changed. I’m surprised that the motherboard is actually DOA the moment it comes out of its factory. They promised to reset the warrant for me from the date I collect the unit. But this, again, left a very bad impression on buying their TOTL product.
Still no option to get a brand new set?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back