SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 15, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #4,277 of 15,525
Thanks for sharing, wish I understood what it showed. Anyone able to interpret/translate the results?
It doesn't really show much, most of the measurements are usually as close to perfect on high-end gear like this for differences to only be measurable on very sensitive high end gear.

So we are only left with what does it actually sound like, you need your own ears for that "measurement". :)

May 15, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #4,278 of 15,525
I just done the adb uninstall of the various google bloatware for my ZX507, it makes my ZX507 perform more responsive compared to just disabling apps. You can give it a try if you wish to get even better performance.

The WM1AM2 with bloatware uninstalled still feels faster than ZX507 with bloatware uninstalled. I think it has to do with Android 11 being more graphically optimized over Android 9.
I'll have to try adb uninstall. I've used adb for other things, so it shouldn't be a problem.
I'm quite tempted to get a WM1AM2 as I already prefer the ZX507 over my Fiios. I prefer the sound of the Sony, and it's just a much more polished product which feels nice in the hand compared to the fiio's brutalist design.

May 15, 2022 at 5:51 AM Post #4,279 of 15,525
I'll have to try adb uninstall. I've used adb for other things, so it shouldn't be a problem.
I'm quite tempted to get a WM1AM2 as I already prefer the ZX507 over my Fiios. I prefer the sound of the Sony, and it's just a much more polished product which feels nice in the hand compared to the fiio's brutalist design.
What FiiO do you own?

May 15, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #4,280 of 15,525
I felt that the WM1AM2 has quite a different treble presentation as compared to the ZX507.

ZX507 seems to have a more forward sounding peaky treble transient while the WM1AM2 has more laid back, more gentle treble transient, that has more decay/finer sound details.

This is also the reason why I find the MDR-1AM2 to sound less fatiguing on the WM1AM2 than on the ZX507.

MDR-1AM2 on the ZX507 has a more metallic like sheen sound to certain percussion instruments. On the WM1AM2, you dont hear this metallic sound. This metallic sound is very obvious on high gain and less noticeable on Low gain.

I think this along with the improved bass dynamics and more better imaging is the most noticeable WM1AM2 improvements over the ZX507.

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #4,281 of 15,525
It doesn't really show much, most of the measurements are usually as close to perfect on high-end gear like this for differences to only be measurable on very sensitive high end gear.

So we are only left with what does it actually sound like, you need your own ears for that "measurement". :)
That is very impressive for high-end gears, not just typical. The 1Z is about -120/125DB and it is Direct digital amplifications, that is pretty insane . From 5khz upto 20Khz, it gets even lower than -130. That is crazily insane for class D. Though, multi tone is only -100Db, that is a bit weak for the modern stuff.

The only thing is that it highest output is 2.2Vrms, which is relatively weak

Dynamic range is 88-105Db, and that is higher than typical CD theoretical mark, which puts the 1Z qualifying for being high-res. Though, this is still lower than others IC chips based DAP

1Khz sweep shows the player will mostly be efficiently driving 16ohm loads for the most linearity upto 33khz.

DC phase-linearizer can be measured as well, showing huge differences. With base, sub bass is pretty flat, high-type a/b and sub bass is cut at below 30hz by 0.8Db, and low-bass is raised from 30-60Hz by 0.3Db, most noticeably at 60Hz.

the rest of DC with A-low, B-low, all sub bass is raised by 0.6Db, beyond 20Hz, and carry on to 500Hz. Therefore, high vs low will bring the most significant impacts, vs the rest in comparison. However, by changing the response that much, each of them should be significantly influencing the imaging/staging as well. I don’t know about DC on M2, but M1 was based on firmware, and TAZH1ES is hardware based.

the one part I don’t get is DSEEHX on/off. Seems to be showing a significant 35db more in floor noises

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #4,283 of 15,525
That is very impressive for high-end gears, not just typical. The 1Z is about -120/125DB and it is Direct digital amplifications, that is pretty insane . From 5khz upto 20Khz, it gets even lower than -130. That is crazily insane for class D

The only thing is that it highest output is 2.2Vrms, which is relatively weak

Dynamic range is 88-105Db, and that is higher than typical CD theoretical mark, which puts the 1Z qualifying for being high-res. Though, this is still lower than others IC chips based DAP

1Khz sweep shows the player will mostly be efficiently driving 16ohm loads for the most linearity upto 33khz.

DC phase-linearizer can be measured as well, showing huge differences. With base, sub bass is pretty flat, high-type a/b and sub bass is cut at below 30hz by 0.8Db, and low-bass is raised from 30-60Hz by 0.3Db, most noticeably at 60Hz.

the rest of DC with A-low, B-low, all sub bass is raised by 0.6Db, beyond 20Hz, and carry on to 500Hz. Therefore, high vs low will bring the most significant impacts, vs the rest in comparison. However, by changing the response that much, each of them should be significantly influencing the imaging/staging as well. I don’t know about DC on M2, but M1 was based on firmware, and TAZH1ES is hardware based.

the one part I don’t get is DSEEHX on/off. Seems to be showing a significant 35db more in floor noises
Is there any data comparing 1ZM2 with the OG?

May 15, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #4,285 of 15,525
May 15, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #4,286 of 15,525
also I am currently using my WF-1000XM3 on the WM1AM2. It is a hell lot more dynamic sounding compared to connecting to iPhone 11 Bluetooth.

In my opinion your source does noticeably affect the final sound quality of your Bluetooth earpiece even though the fact that both the dac and amp is located inside the Bluetooth earpiece itself. There is a software audio layer involved in the Bluetooth music transmission chain too.

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #4,287 of 15,525
also I am currently using my WF-1000XM3 on the WM1AM2. It is a hell lot more dynamic sounding compared to connecting to iPhone 11 Bluetooth.

In my opinion your source does noticeably affect the final sound quality of your Bluetooth earpiece even though the fact that both the dac and amp is located inside the Bluetooth earpiece itself. There is a software audio layer involved in the Bluetooth music transmission chain too.
You are probably comparing LDAC on the WM1 to AAC on the iPhone. Yes LDAC will usually sound better because of the higher bitrate transmission.

All other things being equal I've never head a difference between different Bluetooth sources and I've tested a few.

May 15, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #4,288 of 15,525
You are probably comparing LDAC on the WM1 to AAC on the iPhone. Yes LDAC will usually sound better because of the higher bitrate transmission.

All other things being equal I've never head a difference between different Bluetooth sources and I've tested a few.
There’s no LDAC support for xm3. It has only two type of codec support for xm3, SBC or AAC. Both Walkman and iPhone are set to AAC codec.

May 15, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #4,290 of 15,525
Interesting, but these are DAPs not phones.

As an interesting comparrison, the new Hiby R5G2 sticking with the older Open Android 8.1 has most things stripped out but still has store/services for streaming apps/UAPP etc.

Standby time is enormous (though I power mine off) and so is runtime in economy mode. They put in a barebones Internet browser. All I've installed is Amazon Music, Tidal, Spotify, UAPP. So, minimal Android they call Hiby OS, that still has Play Store & Services and fully bypasses Android audio limitations to be bit-perfect across all apps. A really bare Android install.

I find Sony to be ridiculous in their lack of interest or understanding of the need to optimize Android to unlock the full potential of a player that can run other Android music apps. Makes no sense whatsoever. They had the same issues with the ZX507 and learned nothing it seems.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back