SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 7, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #3,872 of 15,985
that made a world of difference. i think the uapp/walkman app still edge out tidal but its much much better thank you
UAPP doesn't support the internal DACs of the A105 or ZX507, so it almost certainly doesn't support these new models. Because of this I wouldn't expect much difference in sound between the Tidal app and UAPP, as long as things like loudness normalisation are turned off.
I recently checked the internal DAC issue on the UAPP forum and the devs confirmed that Sonys aren't supported.

May 7, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #3,873 of 15,985
UAPP doesn't support the internal DACs of the A105 or ZX507, so it almost certainly doesn't support these new models. Because of this I wouldn't expect much difference in sound between the Tidal app and UAPP, as long as things like loudness normalisation are turned off.
I recently checked the internal DAC issue on the UAPP forum and the devs confirmed that Sonys aren't supported.
The android walkman internal S-master HX dac has been supported by UAPP Internal Hi-Res Driver for sometime already, this photo is of the Sony A105 Android walkman(March 2021):
11443950.jpeg

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-zx500.914486/page-460#post-16228271

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #3,875 of 15,985
The battery life is great. Better than any other android dap I’ve owned.
Try a Hiby R5G2 in its economy mode, uses internal ESS amp over its class A amp and much smaller DAP than the 1AM2 but has a 4500 mAh battery.

I had the 1ZM2 and the Hiby R5G2 at the same time and Hiby seemed to have longer life in actual use. Its max spec rating is 35hrs using ESS amp over 3.5mm.

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 3:58 AM Post #3,876 of 15,985

Yes it does, and also did while I was using the 1ZM2.

I worked with developer on testing and one of earlier updates added the Sony compatability comment to the firmware update note.

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #3,877 of 15,985
Try a Hiby R5G2 in its economy mode, uses internal ESS amp over its class A amp and much smaller DAP than the 1AM2 but has a 4500 mAh battery.

I had the Z and the Hiby at the same time and Hiby seemed to have longer life in actual use. Its max spec rating is 35hrs using ESS amp over 3.5mm.
I should clarify, I’m referring to the daps in the flagship bracket that I’ve owned e.g. Shanling M9, iBasso DX300 Max, Cayin N8ii etc. I’m sure there are Android daps in other price brackets that have just as good or better battery than 1ZM2.

May 7, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #3,878 of 15,985
I should clarify, I’m referring to the daps in the flagship bracket that I’ve owned e.g. Shanling M9, iBasso DX300 Max, Cayin N8ii etc. I’m sure there are Android daps in other price brackets that have just as good or better battery than 1ZM2.

No, I think low/mid end normally have like 10-12 hrs using Android too. If using new Hiby's class A amp its still around 10hrs but using the DAC chips own integrated amp its upto 35hrs and sounds great anyway with more output power than Sony.

The A107 and ZX507 are pitiful battery life compared to the Hiby unless using just Walkman app and wifi/BT/NFC off.

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #3,879 of 15,985
No, I think low/mid end normally have like 10-12 hrs using Android too. If using new Hiby vlass A amp its still arou d 10hrs but using the DAC chips own integrated amp its upto 35hrs and sound great anyway.

The A107 and ZX507 are pitiful battery life compared to the Hiby unless using just Walkman app and wifi/BT/NFC off.
Yes, the ZX507 & A105 battery life was rubbish. Glad Sony managed to rectify that issue in these models :)

May 7, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #3,880 of 15,985
Yes, the ZX507 & A105 battery life was rubbish. Glad Sony managed to rectify that issue in these models :)

Reason I got rid of mine and now waiting on Amazon Japan stock of the 1AM2. Will then stick with just this Hiby and the 1AM2.

May 7, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #3,881 of 15,985
No, I think low/mid end normally have like 10-12 hrs using Android too. If using new Hiby's class A amp its still around 10hrs but using the DAC chips own integrated amp its upto 35hrs and sounds great anyway with more output power than Sony.

I've never had anything Android (except for 1 year with the Sony ZX2) so was wondering if this Hiby might be the one to try and get my feet wet with though I can't really see it getting much play time in competition to my existing Sony daps and upcoming Steve modded ZX300

May 7, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #3,882 of 15,985
For those seeking a smooth analog like pure sound, with the least sound processing feel out of your M2 Walkman, you can try these settings:

Headphone App Disabled
Hi-Res Streaming OFF
DSD Re-Mastering ON

It’s a very relaxing listening experience.

May 7, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #3,883 of 15,985
For those who wish to hear possibly the purest unprocessed sound of the M2 walkman.

You can try this mode, This mode has absolutely the least Sony sound processing feeling especially with direct source mode ON and high res streaming off:

With Walkman screen turned on, hold down hardware power button for two seconds, a menu will popup. Tap on restart. While the Walkman is restarting, hold down on the hardware VOL Down button. Once it boots up, you will see a big safe mode word on the bottom left corner, that’s when you can release the volume down button.

To exit safe mode and return to normal Sony sound processing, just restart the M2 Walkman.

Do note this safe mode mode will not work with streaming apps or other music player apps. Only Walkman music app works.

Dad Remastering also sounds even more pure/analog/smooth in this mode.

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #3,884 of 15,985
For those who wish to hear possibly the purest unprocessed sound of the M2 walkman.

You can try this mode, This mode has absolutely the least Sony sound processing feeling especially with direct source mode ON and high res streaming off:

With Walkman screen turned on, hold down hardware power button for two seconds, a menu will popup. Tap on restart. While the Walkman is restarting, hold down on the hardware VOL Down button. Once it boots up, you will see a big safe mode word on the bottom left corner, that’s when you can release the volume down button.

To exit safe mode and return to normal Sony sound processing, just restart the M2 Walkman.

Do note this safe mode mode will not work with streaming apps or other music player apps. Only Walkman music app works.

Dad Remastering also sounds even more pure/analog/smooth in this mode.
What ? Sony plays music in safe mode too ? Nice! must save a lot more battery as well

May 7, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #3,885 of 15,985
What ? Sony plays music in safe mode too ? Nice! must save a lot more battery as well
Sony should consider releasing a firmware update with "Walkman" mode, so you can boot into this safe mode "pure mode" with everything but the Walkman player and DSP functions disabled. Or even a dual Linux/Android boot mode so you can have the best of both worlds in one player (and also use Mr. Walkman FW in Linux mode).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back