High Gain, 66 Volume
High-Res Streaming On
DSP:
DSEE Ultimate
DC Phase Linearizer Type A Low
EQ Off
Various 24bit/16bit FLAC files stored on Swissbit S-55U 256GB microsd
Walkman Music App
Headphone app with IER-M9 profile selected and with ear photo upload done.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #3,362 of 15,986
Would like to make one comment on the mSD debate 😀

With my short testing I loaded music only onto internal memory at first to listen to the 1ZM2's awesomeness 👌

I then put same tracks on my 512GB Samsung EVO and thankfully couldn't hear a single thing differently 🙂

Ignorance is bliss.

Apr 29, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #3,364 of 15,986
I request more advice from my fellow headfiers.

I do not want to do 20 hours more of confusing research.

I am looking for one IEM to match the Walkman and only one. Cost-no-object- I want a full bodied smooth, lusher style sound- but not so so smooth that it is dull or lifeless. I need detail and transparency- of course just don't want bright or treble tilted. I want the best. Could you guys provide one or two recommendations.
Sounds like you're looking for TheiAudio Monarch MKII...Sounds exactly like this description to me.

Apr 29, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #3,365 of 15,986
Would like to make one comment on the mSD debate 😀

With my short testing I loaded music only onto internal memory at first to listen to the 1ZM2's awesomeness 👌

I then put same tracks on my 512GB Samsung EVO and thankfully couldn't hear a single thing differently 🙂

Ignorance is bliss.

I can't generally on my ZX507 when a new card is formatted in the player, before once a card sounded 'off' before it was formatted. So far with the Micron card I imagine (can't say definitely) details are standing out slightly more and the music generally sounds slightly better layered, 'clean' (enhanced) and airy both noticeable. There's something which I'm struggling to find the right words for - coherency, a richness? But without spending considerable time A-B'ing wouldn't want to say the differences are there. I'm very happy how the music sounds if that means anything. Could be placebo of course because I've got a new make of card that cost $100.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #3,366 of 15,986
Question: where are Tonal Balance settings on M2? Gone??

Wanted to share that it is safe indeed to import a DAP from Japan using Buyee. I ordered a 1ZM2 on April 22 and got it today (April 28). I was lucky to find a seller on Rakuma parting with the brand new one with a 10% discount (360,000 JPY). The DHL shipping fee to US collected by Buyee was USD 23. Additionally there was USD 27.75 merchandise processing fee and Duty Tax Receiver fee of USD 17.

After my first auditioning, a 1 year old 1Z (original) is on sale already. DMP will go next.
what a beautiful picture. you should get a like from the sony walkman team with all your golden devices :)

Apr 29, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #3,367 of 15,986
Sounds like you're looking for TheiAudio Monarch MKII...Sounds exactly like this description to me.
U12t. I sold my Monarch MKII shortly after buying. Tonally, they can be a bit shouty and fit-wise they're super chonkers. I didn't love whatever they did tot he bass either. I actually preferred the Oracle to them as an all rounder.

Apr 29, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #3,369 of 15,986
U12t. I sold my Monarch MKII shortly after buying. Tonally, they can be a bit shouty and fit-wise they're super chonkers. I didn't love whatever they did tot he bass either. I actually preferred the Oracle to them as an all rounder.

I keep trying to get hold of some Sony IER-M9 based on glowing reviews in here. My most expensive are the older Noble K10U which I personally still think sound great, but a bit too large, good all-rounder sound wise. Though not expensive I'm spending a lot of time with the Single Dynamic Beryllium driver in the Fiio FD7. Maybe I'm easily pleased !

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #3,370 of 15,986
I keep trying to get hold of some Sony IER-M9 based on glowing reviews in here. My most expensive are the older Noble K10U which I personally still think sound great, but a bit too large, good all-rounder sound wise. Though not expensive I'm spending a lot of time with the Single Dynamic Beryllium driver in the Fiio FD7. Maybe I'm easily pleased !

Accessory Jack has them but they seem to have gone up in price.

Apr 29, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #3,371 of 15,986
I wonder if it's possble to do the same with the European M2 Walkman since there's an update from 1.08 to 1.10 recently. Maybe it is possible to exploit the volume limit by flashing a European hardware with an international firmware? Wonder if the volume limiter is hardware coded or firmware based.
i always thought that combines this with a region change and thats it - EU limitations are gone. at least, this is what i thought- i mean the limitations are just software-based anyway.

Apr 29, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #3,373 of 15,986
i always thought that combines this with a region change and thats it - EU limitations are gone. at least, this is what i thought- i mean the limitations are just software-based anyway.

No, its lower level than firmware. Can't take cap off or add high-gain with EU crippled A107 or ZX507 (I tried before importing) and the 1AM2/1ZM2 will be the same.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #3,374 of 15,986
As MrWalkman mentioned the region sits somewhere that is not affected by fw update

Apr 29, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #3,375 of 15,986
FYI: if you compare ALL other sub-threads with this particular one here... one can see and read much more dynamics about this device. that's so funny in a positive sense. many other areas look like as an "archived" forum when being here in this informative exchange with you all :) - i enjoy it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back