SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 28, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #3,256 of 15,620
You can always drop ship from Sony HK. Or get someone in HK or China or Japan to send one to you. It's a small world and a tight community, I'm sure there are those willing to help.

I had a pre-order with Amazon Japan for a 1AM2 and under £1100 with duties/delivery to UK, but then decided to cancel to await reviews. By time first feedback came in on battery life I went to immediately re-order and all showing out of stock. :scream:

I'm not in a rush, will just wait for Amazon Japan to get stock back in. From what I'm reading the 1A is no worse (slightly different) and the Z though cosmetically gorgeous is heavy at 500g! (vs 300g for the 1A).

Just glad I've confirmed the EU/UK versions are f'ed up again as per the A107's and ZX507.

Apr 28, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #3,257 of 15,620
That's ridiculous. I have an S10. To say it has higher output than a £3k DAP is criminal.

Does high gain give an increased boost over the direct sound mode?

With my Japanese ZX1, disabling Sound enhancements app drives my headphones significantly better even at lower volumes, so its not just about maximum volume capability. Plugging high impedance headphones meant cranking volume up to near max to get any meaningful use. Goodness knows how bad the EU zx1 was. Acknowledge newer models have higher outputs.

I never even needed to use High Gain on the Japanese ZX507 because it was plenty loud enough even with 3.5mm with all my IEM's. Had a set of HD660S headphones and Japanese ZX507 easily drove those too.

Apr 28, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #3,258 of 15,620
I just spoke to Sony Technical support (1st tier) and had a long chat over the amp output reduction and missing High Gain all the way back to the ZX2, A105, ZX507 and now these new ones. Explained difference to the Japanese ones and need to keep importing, explained how its ridiculous when they have no idea if easy IEM or average Headphones are going to be driven.

He agreed there seemed to be a miss-match between sales info & technical spec with it not being clear about High Gain and asked me to hold off returning until he gets feedback from 2nd tier.

Sure they will just be confirming that's how it is and I will be returning and awaiting a Japanese import.

From my very short listening it sounds stunning still.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #3,259 of 15,620
I just spoke to Sony Technical support (1st tier) and had a long chat over the amp output reduction and missing High Gain all the way back to the ZX2, A105, ZX507 and now these new ones. Explained difference to the Japanese ones and need to keep importing, explained how its ridiculous when they have no idea if easy IEM or average Headphones are going to be driven.

He agreed there seemed to be a miss-match between sales info & technical spec with it not being clear about High Gain and asked me to hold off returning until he gets feedback from 2nd tier.

Sure they will just be confirming that's how it is and I will be returning and awaiting a Japanese import.

From my very short listening it sounds stunning still.
Sure. It's a (European) regulation. Why should a sales representative tell you something about this? They have to sell. That's RL 😉
The manual gives a short standard remark on that. It's up to you to know if you are affected by that limitation 🤷🏼‍♂️.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #3,260 of 15,620
Sure. It's a (European) regulation. Why should a sales representative tell you something about this? They have to sell. That's RL 😉
The manual gives a short standard remark on that. It's up to you to know if you are affected by that limitation 🤷🏼‍♂️.
So you aren't happy that I've confirmed it for people ? Whatever. Even tech support states its unclear and conflicting info from the sales spec.

Not everyone goes read a tech manual before they buy on website which states amp outputs & shows High Gain even on UK website.

I wasn't going to keep the Z anyway, too rich for my needs, but all they had. I just got if for confirming the stupid EU cap yet again. Will be on its way back next week :relaxed:

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #3,262 of 15,620
Shouldn't the box at least state clearly : European Version Not Compatible With Many Full size Headphones, or similar?
It would seem fair that it is mentioned somewhere but it has never been mentioned on any of the previous models either. It clearly was less of a problem with the SonyOS daps as you could just change the region to uncap

Apr 28, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #3,263 of 15,620
It would seem fair that it is mentioned somewhere but it has never been mentioned on any of the previous models either. It clearly was less of a problem with the SonyOS daps as you could just change the region to uncap

I really miss Sony OS on my Zx507 coming from the ZX300.

Tried to order from 'Am' Japan and it shows this message:

This item cannot be shipped to your selected delivery location. Choose a different delivery location.

Apr 28, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #3,265 of 15,620
How about one of these on a Euro box :thinking::

Closed.gif

Apr 28, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #3,266 of 15,620
So you aren't happy that I've confirmed it for people ? Whatever. Even tech support states its unclear and conflicting info from the sales spec.

Not everyone goes read a tech manual before they buy on website which states amp outputs & shows High Gain even on UK website.

I wasn't going to keep the Z anyway, too rich for my needs, but all they had. I just got if for confirming the stupid EU cap yet again. Will be on its way back next week :relaxed:

I thought I read some disappointment and frustration in your lines may be more due to Sony's miscommunication than because of the result 😉. But limited gain is always critical for some countries, esp. Europe.

Apr 28, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #3,267 of 15,620
Well, so it's the exact same thing as on the classic WM1A/Z. Amazing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back