SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 28, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #3,272 of 15,691
I would not underestimate him if I were you. He is really smart and creative. Such people very often find a workaround.

Apr 28, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #3,273 of 15,691
I would not underestimate him if I were you. He is really smart and creative. Such people very often find a workaround.
Believe me I don't. @MrWalkman is a genius. By his own admission he hasn't been able to do anything with the Android Sony DAPs, not only the WM series. I'm sure he'll confirm the same shortly.

Apr 28, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #3,274 of 15,691
First I'd have to get my hands on one, which is not gonna happen anytime soon, but in any case, I wouldn't promise anything.

Apr 28, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #3,276 of 15,691
Well, I think that prospective EU users of NW-WM1A M2 should consider starting a Kickstarter campaign for collecting funds for 1 piece of NW-WM1A M2 for Mr.Walkman.:blush:
It would be definitively more hassle-free and probably cheaper as well than importing this DAP from outside of EU.

Apr 28, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #3,277 of 15,691
Someone get the man a M2 stat! 😅
Well, I think that prospective EU users of NW-WM1A M2 should consider starting a Kickstarter campaign for collecting funds for 1 piece of NW-WM1A M2 for Mr.Walkman.:blush:
It would be definitively more hassle-free and probably cheaper as well than importing this DAP from outside of EU.

I wouldn't really recommend that. There's a really small chance that I'd be able to do it, I don't think it's worth it.

I unfortunately bricked an A105 I owned while trying some stuff, for example.

Apr 28, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #3,278 of 15,691
I wouldn't really recommend that. There's a really small chance that I'd be able to do it, I don't think it's worth it.

Well, people often underestimate the bad side of the modification. Risk of damaging and trashing a player is real, either it is firmware or hardware.

Apr 28, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #3,279 of 15,691
Well, people often underestimate the bad side of the modification. Risk of damaging and trashing a player is real, either it is firmware or hardware.
I know that to get anything system-level done with Android you generally have to root the device, and I really don't think you want to do that with a Walkman. It's a blessing that the OG WMs could be hardware and firmware modded, which significantly increased their value and longevity. I've only recently got my first 1Z, and can see myself using it happily for many years yet. Streaming? I just LDAC into it from my phone.

Apr 28, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #3,280 of 15,691
I know that to get anything system-level done with Android you generally have to root the device, and I really don't think you want to do that with a Walkman. It's a blessing that the OG WMs could be hardware and firmware modded, which significantly increased their value and longevity. I've only recently got my first 1Z, and can see myself using it happily for many years yet. Streaming? I just LDAC into it from my phone.
I don’t understand why streaming can’t be used with a short USB cables either…. Well, I guess because I don’t use it much, if at all.

Apr 28, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #3,281 of 15,691

I was only joking. Partly ... . Or only partly joking? :sweat_smile:

As I cannot cope with Android in DAPs especially, I have purchased almost the full fleet of the last SONY OS based DAPs.
Actually I would not have to care as I believe this DAP fleet will serve me for at least 5 years very well. I hope that SONY gets wiser till that time and starts producing dedicated DAPs based on their own OS again.

However, I will keep my fingers crossed anyway so that anybody manages cracking Android in order to be able to change the region code like with M1 models.

What EU does in this case, it is a big shame.
Fellow Head-Fiers, have you considered starting a petition?

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #3,283 of 15,691
What EU does in this case, it is a big shame.
Fellow Head-Fiers, have you considered starting a petition?
I'll think you'll find that brexit has demonstrated that if someone doesn't agree with overly bureaucratic establishment they dig their heals in and get pi55ed off lol 😆

Meddling for the sake of it is really annoying like enforcing headlights with Xenons to have washerjets that never clean properly and break down.

Apr 28, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #3,285 of 15,691
Not sure how you linked Intel being evil to Sony engineers discovering microSD cards having an effect on sound quality but whatever rocks your boat I guess?
I linked them in a way of not being honest. Assuming that there was a difference, there is absolutely no way that Sony discovers it just now considering the whole range of products that they have produced. Just zero! And even if there was a noticeable effect, that actually only shows a horrible hardware design which a €3600 device should never have (which of course means the hardware would have other sensitivity problems, too). True, you might have two different cards with two extremely low, non audible differences, then you amplify and even modulate that on purpose to make it more audible, and feed them with the worst power supply circuit ever, then yeah, there might be a difference.

It is like saying "I listened to the player at night and then in the morning and they sounded different. I tried to measure everything and there was no difference in the distortion or the sound signals. Then I asked our engineers and they found that the sun radiation reaches in different levels during the day and the night, which changes the sound in some unknown way. So we built these that anti-sun cases with eye watering prices which will improve the sound." Just replace the micro SD cards in the image you sent with the sun radiating electromagnetic waves and bingo! We have a proof.

Anyway, my last post on this topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back