SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 11, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #2,146 of 15,808
Japanese user opinion on ZX507 vs WM1AM2
https://s.kakaku.com/bbs/K0001420914/SortID=24680182/

Posted by 209 results and 13 good wins
April 2, 2022 2:48 PM 1 reply
>s.z.k.j.n.i
Hello.

I bought this machine without listening, and I'm relieved that my friend has finally decided to transfer the ZX507. ( He bought it a little more expensive than Fujiya Avic).

So, I saw the post now, and I thought I'd listen to it while I have it at hand, so I transferred a playlist of high-resolution sound sources to the ZX507 that I just initialized and listened to it.

This machine has only made a sound for about 17 hours, but it feels like that. The comparison is made directly from both sources.

Earphones: MEZE RAI PENTA, Sound source: Eagles "Hotel California", SawanoHiroyuki "Avid", TM NETWORK "Beyond the t ime," Cocco Ark, Yuji Ohno trio "Just the way you are" and so on (all high-resolution from mora)
・In the ZX507, I heard that each instrument was solidified, but in this machine, each instrument also has a sound stage (it often appears in English reviews, but I feel that it is a pretty comfortable expression), and they are You can hear the feeling that it combines a wide sound stage.
・The luster of the middle and bass of the male vocal felt on this machine is quite flat on the ZX507.
・On the contrary, the sound of recording is like Ara (maybe it saturation with mastering??), and the unfortunate feeling of the sound source is emphasized on this machine.

Until now, I felt that FiiO M11Plus LTD (AK's DAC) could be thought of as high-end for me, but I feel that the expressive power of this machine has taken one step further from there.

I just thought about it and listened to it with the dynamic one-shot Bayer Xelento, but the sinking of the bass and drum sinks heavier than the ZX507 and spreads even more. Is this also a place where you can feel the sound stage more?

There may be various conditions such as genre, recording, high resolution, etc., but it's a difference in the level that even I can feel as it is, so if you listen to it (the person you like) will be addicted to it. And now I cut it for comparison, but I always turn on the DSD engine, and I personally like this. By the way, FiiO also turned on the same function.
On the contrary, I feel that the Sony-like energetic and donshari feeling of the ZX507 is not only a luxury, but also the style of performance itself has changed.

I hope it will be helpful

Apr 11, 2022 at 5:18 AM Post #2,147 of 15,808
I tried this, but unless if I am doing something wrong, I hear NO DIFFERENCE at all on my local music players. Have not tested the 3D (I assume that's what the Spatial is being referred too) sound and don't care as I don't stream music and as far as I undersatnd, it's only on some music streaming services too.

When on Walkman, the only option I get it 1) Dashboard 2) Other Devices (might be wrong, using japanese) and when I click DASHBOARD, it just tells me to link a supported app (i already have the ear profile loaded. I can't do anything else with it.
you will hear the difference when using the tidal app, going to the 360 degree category and even there you have the really select the "right songs" that are made up for 360, so with special mics. the rest is just up- / re-sampling of old material. so you barely hear the difference. plus the songs in the 360 category is really limited.

Apr 11, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #2,148 of 15,808
true, the original wm1a / 1z OS is simply outstanding. i wish sony would have kept developing this OS further, adapting it for the m2.

Oh yeah, DLNA, search bar, DSEE Ultimate, DSD Remastering, sound effects via BT...

With the M2 players' battery it would go much further than 40h playback time with the Linux OS.

Apr 11, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #2,149 of 15,808
https://s.kakaku.com/bbs/K0001420914/SortID=24689127/

This Japanese user claims that you only need 20hours of burn in/Aging for the WM1AM2

87E0EB4C-2F1F-48DB-BEE5-9C7168C39372.jpeg
Its spected.

You need the 200 Hours until they perform perfectly according to measurements, but i doubt that most people would hear any difference after ~20 hours.

Unless you have very good hearing and listen to finely selected songs on the IER-M9 that show exactly what you want to hear, there won't be any difference to pretty much most users.

I own the XBA-Z5 and i would not expect to hear any difference after 20 hours. Not because the XBA-Z5 is bad, not at all, but hearing the aging of capacitors after the first hours is extremely hard if even possible at all.

Apr 11, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #2,151 of 15,808
Sato likes to live dangerously lol 😮

https://twitter.com/Hiroaki59612632/status/1513358086701924356?t=SA6HQZGrDzA0wlXWBZijOw&s=19

20220411_113854.jpg

Apr 11, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #2,152 of 15,808
Its spected.

You need the 200 Hours until they perform perfectly according to measurements, but i doubt that most people would hear any difference after ~20 hours.

Unless you have very good hearing and listen to finely selected songs on the IER-M9 that show exactly what you want to hear, there won't be any difference to pretty much most users.

I own the XBA-Z5 and i would not expect to hear any difference after 20 hours. Not because the XBA-Z5 is bad, not at all, but hearing the aging of capacitors after the first hours is extremely hard if even possible at all.
What I notice is that my 2yr old ZX507 with well aged capacitors still benefits from warming up of the capacitors to hear the deepest of the sub-bass. This is if the Walkman is left idle on standby for 8 hours or more during sleep, only after playing music about 15min or more on the Walkman then the deepest sub-bass frequencies starts to show up more prominently on my ier-m9.

My guess is that temperatures variation do have an effect on the internal resistance of the capacitors to a certain level. Maybe someone with more background in electrical engineering understanding can explain better.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #2,153 of 15,808
As we can't get any uncapped WM1Z2M2 in Europe, I decided to "upgrade" my actual Wm1A with Nayparm loads of monstrous capacitors in Engalnd.
Unfortunately, I had some serious issues last December, after 2 years with my really loved IER-ZR (bought from ebay Japan), so I won't buy again Sony from Japan without warranties in Europe.

Luckily, I am happy to see that the VE EXT I am using since January is one of the most coherent on very important points !!! I could catch this by myself, but it's fun to see others could also notice this.
Now I am waiting my modded WM1A to be back from Npaudio !!! and enjoy at least the old WM1A. until we know if the WM1ZM2 is really capped or not (we just an annoying message every 20 hours)

1649676343062.png

1649676382386.png

1649676297558.png

Attachments

• 1649676112060.png
    1649676112060.png
    124.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 1649676241404.png
    1649676241404.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 11, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #2,154 of 15,808
As we can't get any uncapped WM1Z2M2 in Europe, I decided to "upgrade" my actual Wm1A with Nayparm loads of monstrous capacitors in Engalnd.
Unfortunately, I had some serious issues last December, after 2 years with my really loved IER-ZR (bought from bay Japan), so I won't buy again Sony from Japan without warranties in Europe.

Luckily, I am happy to see that the VE EXT I am using since January is one of the most coherent on very important points !!! I could catch this by myself, but it's fun to see others could also notice this.
Now I am waiting my modded WM1A to be back from Npaudio !!! and enjoy at least the old WM1A. until we know if the WM1ZM2 is really capped or not (we just an annoying message every 20 hours)

1649676343062.png
1649676382386.png
1649676297558.png
What's the source of your table?

Apr 11, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #2,155 of 15,808
Apr 11, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #2,156 of 15,808
That pritty poor... units would or should have been allocated to Germany or the EU long before Asia ran out of stock. Indeed EU unit have to be labelled different (and certified differently). Perhaps they allowed more pre-orders than they had stock.
Same thing in France. No New DAB available. I don't know why but we have to be patient😅

Apr 11, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #2,157 of 15,808
Sorry if this has already been asked but…

… do we know exactly how the ‘sound adjustment’ plays alongside UAPP when the latter is bypassing the Android SRC? Or does using UAPP completely bypass Sonys sound adjustments altogether too?

To clarify, I’m aware that using UAPP and selecting the ‘High-Res driver’ option I can bypass the Android SRC and therefore bypass the Sony’s upsampling/downsampling of 3rd party streaming apps to 192khz (that is my understanding at least), but if I do this and leave sound adjustments ON is Sony still forcing these adjustments to music from UAPP and am I not actually bypassing the Android driver anymore?… If this is true (and Sony is ‘interfering’ with adjustments, would turning sound adjustments off (“Direct”) be the only way to ensure I was bypassing Android SRC? (The UAPP app says “Direct” as if it is successfully bypassing Android either way, with Sound Adjustment ON and OFF).

Sorry if that’s a convoluted question. I hope it makes sense.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #2,158 of 15,808
Sorry if this has already been asked but…

… do we know exactly how the ‘sound adjustment’ plays alongside UAPP when the latter is bypassing the Android SRC? Or does using UAPP completely bypass Sonys sound adjustments altogether too?

To clarify, I’m aware that using UAPP and selecting the ‘High-Res driver’ option I can bypass the Android SRC and therefore bypass the Sony’s upsampling/downsampling of 3rd party streaming apps to 192khz (that is my understanding at least), but if I do this and leave sound adjustments ON is Sony still forcing these adjustments to music from UAPP and am I not actually bypassing the Android driver anymore?… If this is true (and Sony is ‘interfering’ with adjustments, would turning sound adjustments off (“Direct”) be the only way to ensure I was bypassing Android SRC? (The UAPP app says “Direct” as if it is successfully bypassing Android either way, with Sound Adjustment ON and OFF).

Sorry if that’s a convoluted question. I hope it makes sense.

Sony's sound adjustments have no effect on UAPP with high-res driver.

Apr 11, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #2,159 of 15,808
Apr 11, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #2,160 of 15,808

Users who are viewing this thread

Back