Sony NW-HD3 (full review)
Apr 15, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #796 of 860
hey guys. im thinking of getting this player. i know it doesn't have support for mac os x but is there any other way to transfer mp3s from a mac to the nw-hd3? can i use realplayer? or if you know of anything that will allow me to do so... please tell me. thanks guys.

Apr 15, 2005 at 6:23 AM Post #797 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by mavis
Apparently it's normal for the Sony HD_ series.
wink.gif

i think its also time to edit/correct some of the wrong things you said in your review on the hd3. for eg, in Interface, for point 1, you can go back to the Now Playing screen by holding down the Mode button. In point 2, you can go back to the place where you last browsed by pressing the up and down button instead of the Mode button. time to return some justice to the hd3, don't you think so?
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2005 at 6:50 AM Post #798 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub
i think its also time to edit/correct some of the wrong things you said in your review on the hd3. for eg, in Interface, for point 1, you can go back to the Now Playing screen by holding down the Mode button. In point 2, you can go back to the place where you last browsed by pressing the up and down button instead of the Mode button. time to return some justice to the hd3, don't you think so?
wink.gif

Actually, if I were to go back and re-write the review, I would have even more negative things to say about the HD3. I don't think you'd like that ...
wink.gif

Anyway, the points you mentioned (above) only serve to reinforce my argument about intuitive UI, or more accurately, the fact that the HD3 is sorely lacking in that department. Having seen more side by side pictures of the HD3 and various other DAPs, I would probably point out how pathetic the screen is compared to the competition (in terms of brightness/legibility). Having spent more time with better equipment (headphones, amps, etc) I would be more likely to rip the HD3's horrible SQ (s/n ratio, anyone?) ... Just a few examples. If I edited the review, it certainly wouldn't be in favor of the HD3 ...

ps. not to attack anyone's choice of DAP, I'm sure the people who have purchased the HD3 had their reasons. The above is just my opinion, etc. Which is of course what the review was too, and I never made any claims to the contrary.

Apr 15, 2005 at 9:43 AM Post #801 of 860
Quote:

ps. not to attack anyone's choice of DAP, I'm sure the people who have purchased the HD3 had their reasons. The above is just my opinion, etc. Which is of course what the review was too, and I never made any claims to the contrary.

you are entitled to your own opinions on the usuability aspects. but your opinions are not facts. and the facts are you can go back to where you last browsed and there is a way to go back to the Now Playing screen. reviews are meant to be informative too, including what the player can and cannot do. the errors in your review should be corrected so that anyone who wants a quick review and does not bother to go through the hundreds of replies will not be misled into thinking that the hd3 is not able to do the things you said. and it does not help matters when a search for sony hd3 review turns up this thread on the second page of google. you can leave your opinions as they are, but correct the errors, please.
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2005 at 11:04 AM Post #803 of 860
Quote:

you are entitled to your own opinions on the usuability aspects. but your opinions are not facts. and the facts are you can go back to where you last browsed and there is a way to go back to the Now Playing screen. reviews are meant to be informative too, including what the player can and cannot do. the errors in your review should be corrected so that anyone who wants a quick review and does not bother to go through the hundreds of replies will not be misled into thinking that the hd3 is not able to do the things you said. and it does not help matters when a search for sony hd3 review turns up this thread on the second page of google. you can leave your opinions as they are, but correct the errors, please.
wink.gif

Actually, there aren't really any "errors" in my review, as I mentioned at the conclusion of the review, I was merely documenting what my experience was as an HD3 owner. Anything that has come to light since I wrote the review last December doesn't change what I experienced and what I documented way back then. In other words, I'm not going to be editing the review any time soon. Perhaps if Sony had made the HD3 a little more intuitive in the first place, we wouldn't have to be beating this dead horse.
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2005 at 12:05 PM Post #804 of 860
Quote:

wink.gif

I to came to this review via google. I was grateful for the review by Mavis, but ultimately did not let this put me off from purchasing one. This site has educated me in the use of my HD3(as you have DigDub), but hopefully folks will take in more than one review, and then make their choice.

Apr 15, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #805 of 860
Quote:

Actually, there aren't really any "errors" in my review, as I mentioned at the conclusion of the review, I was merely documenting what my experience was as an HD3 owner. Anything that has come to light since I wrote the review last December doesn't change what I experienced and what I documented way back then. In other words, I'm not going to be editing the review any time soon. Perhaps if Sony had made the HD3 a little more intuitive in the first place, we wouldn't have to be beating this dead horse.
wink.gif

Mavis wrote: "However, if you press the MODE button, which allows you to navigate through your music library, you have to wait about 30 seconds (not pressing any buttons, just waiting) for the unit to go back to the Now Playing screen. There is no "Now Playing" selection on the main menu (like the iPod has) - you just have to wait it out."

"The HD3 does not "remember" your location in the music library each time you start to browse. Meaning that if you browse through the library and select an artist (eg, TOOL) and then decide listen to a different artist (eg, Tori Amos, the very next artist on the list) when you press MODE and open up the library again to browse you'll always be back at the very top (and you'll have to re-scroll through your entire library to get down to that artist, even though you were JUST THERE)."

Both of those statements are errors. You wrote those things as solid statements of fact.

OK, maybe the unit isn't intuitive, especially if you're used to an iPod, but both of those statements are false.

Apr 15, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #806 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by nataku
uhmm.. ok does anybody care about my question???
confused.gif

you can only use sonicstage and vaio music transfer to transfer music to the hd3. realplayer won't work. i think SS and VMT won't work on mac too.

Apr 15, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #807 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by metalex
Mavis wrote: "However, if you press the MODE button, which allows you to navigate through your music library, you have to wait about 30 seconds (not pressing any buttons, just waiting) for the unit to go back to the Now Playing screen. There is no "Now Playing" selection on the main menu (like the iPod has) - you just have to wait it out."

"The HD3 does not "remember" your location in the music library each time you start to browse. Meaning that if you browse through the library and select an artist (eg, TOOL) and then decide listen to a different artist (eg, Tori Amos, the very next artist on the list) when you press MODE and open up the library again to browse you'll always be back at the very top (and you'll have to re-scroll through your entire library to get down to that artist, even though you were JUST THERE)."

Both of those statements are errors. You wrote those things as solid statements of fact.

OK, maybe the unit isn't intuitive, especially if you're used to an iPod, but both of those statements are false.

hmm
when you want to go back to the play modus you have to push the button "mode" for 2-3 sec. and then you will be back in the now playing modus!

for your second error: push the up or down button and then twice the left button and you will be by the artits...

sorry for the english I'm from switzerland...

oh sorry now i see that it isn't really the problem...you now it already

Apr 16, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #808 of 860
Could someone please tell me whether the NW-HD3 supports display of unicode ID3 tags (e.g., Korean, Chinese, Japanese...)? I.e., will these characters show up correctly on the display?

Also, can Sonic Stage 3.0 support the transfer of files with unicode file names?

Thanks in advance!!

Apr 16, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #810 of 860
Quote:

Originally Posted by subomai
Could someone please tell me whether the NW-HD3 supports display of unicode ID3 tags (e.g., Korean, Chinese, Japanese...)? I.e., will these characters show up correctly on the display?

Also, can Sonic Stage 3.0 support the transfer of files with unicode file names?

Thanks in advance!!

I tried Russian - it's displayed ok on the display and on the RM-MC40 too.

Does anybody tried SONY RM-CDC2/RM-MC25C for car using?
Sony_RM-MC25C_big.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back