Sony NW-A50 Series
Jul 16, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #1,741 of 2,418
I would get a Shanling M3X if you want to upgrade, best DAP for the price range (my daily driver), I still use my A55 with a Fiio Q3 with this cable https://www.fiio.com/productinfo/576983.html (if you don't want to spend $300+).

Yeah I am looking at the M3X as well but likely waiting until black friday as price is to high right now. Maybe even an M5S if a good deal can be had and a better match for me as I don't want android and I don't do any streaming. I was hoping for an updated M2X but @Shanling says there is no plan for a new version any time soon. That basically leaves the Q1 and A55 for non-android DAP's I would consider. Not holding my breath that Sony will update the A55 since they haven't for 3 years. Unless Sony shocks me in the next few months my dreams of another Sony DAP are fading fast.

Jul 27, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #1,742 of 2,418
Hello! First of all, sorry for my terrible english. I want to upgrade my Earstudio ES100 as i don't want to keep using my phone as a source, so i thought that the Walkman A55 might be the best choice around 200 USD, but several reviews mention that it lacks power. My current headphones are the Shure SE215 and V-Moda M100 Master, althought i plan to buy a pair of Final E5000.
Do i need an amp for the V-Moda (32Ω 107dB) and Final E5000? The only other option around the same budget would be the Hiby R3 Saber Pro which offers more power, but my experience with Chi-Fi has been terrible so far.
Thanks!

Jul 27, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #1,744 of 2,418
No need for amp. The Final has low spl of 93 but also low impedance of 14. I would get one with a return possibility in case you’re not happy with it. Your English is fine.
Thank you! The problem is that i'm buying everything on Amazon US and shipping them to Venezuela, making returns incredibly expensive.
I mean, i once bought a xDuoo X2 and hated it. Basically i was stuck with it because returning it back to Amazon would have costed more than the actual product, so i ended up throwing it in a drawer and forgeting about it.
Well, i guess there's no need for an amp or maybe i could buy a Fiio A3 since it's only 59 USD.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #1,746 of 2,418
You won’t need an amp with most IEM’s or even some headphones. If you plan on getting the HD600 in the future (for exemple), then yes, you’ll need an amp.

What are you using as a source currently?
Earstudio ES100. It's pretty good and it does have a great app, but i want a DAP as bluetooth drains my phone's battery relatively fast.

Jul 28, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #1,748 of 2,418
Hello! First of all, sorry for my terrible english. I want to upgrade my Earstudio ES100 as i don't want to keep using my phone as a source, so i thought that the Walkman A55 might be the best choice around 200 USD, but several reviews mention that it lacks power. My current headphones are the Shure SE215 and V-Moda M100 Master, althought i plan to buy a pair of Final E5000.
Do i need an amp for the V-Moda (32Ω 107dB) and Final E5000? The only other option around the same budget would be the Hiby R3 Saber Pro which offers more power, but my experience with Chi-Fi has been terrible so far.
Thanks!
Out of curiosity, what is your bad experience with Chi-Fi? I suspect that their UI/UX will not please me but have never had the opportunity to try a device...

Jul 28, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #1,749 of 2,418
Out of curiosity, what is your bad experience with Chi-Fi? I suspect that their UI/UX will not please me but have never had the opportunity to try a device...
Mostly the longevity of their products. I have had a few iem's from KZ, 1more and Soudmagic that died whitin a few months. And the xDuoo X2 was simply horrible, slow UI and it's sound quality (in my opinion) was so bad, that in comparison my Sansa Clip+ Rockbox felt like a powerhouse.
That's why i want the Walkman A55, as several reviews have mentioned that it's UI is quite responsive and the battery life is much better than my current Earstudio ES100.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that my bad experience with Chi-Fi doesn't mean all chinese products are bad, as i have heard good things about Moondrop, DUNU and iBasso, but i have never had the chance to try them myself.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #1,751 of 2,418
Guys, how are you doing? I hope all is well.

By the way, I just learned that my NW-A55 could not use its bluetooth at all. I tried pairing many times but it could not detect other devices with bluetooth on. The other devices could not detect my NW-A55 either. What could possible go wrong here? I bought it new from Bhphotovideo last black Friday. I wish I tested the bluetooth earlier.

Aug 2, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #1,753 of 2,418
Okay, I turned on the bluetooth receiver on my A55 and it could not connect to anything but then both of my phones detected the A55 so I paired my A55 from my iPhone and the A55 was finally able to pair with it. But what about those bluetooth devices that don't have a menu screen for their bluetooth like the portable speakers? I also tried to enable bluetooth from the Settings on my A55 and changed the LDAC(auto) to AptX but still it could not pair with neither of my laptop and phones. I could not pair from other devices either when the bluetooth is turned on on the A55's settings. I might try pairing it with my friend's portable speaker soon. Thank you!

Aug 2, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #1,754 of 2,418
What do you want to achieve? Use the A55 as a BT sender or receiver?

I can pair it without any issues to headphones, external speakers, etc - click "add device" and they'll show up on the A55's list and you just pick the one you want. I do have problems with pairing with my car's BT, though.

I haven't tried it in BT receiver mode.

Aug 2, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #1,755 of 2,418
Hi, my device’s screen off function doesn’t work well recently. Time set as 15 seconds. After screen off, it keeps wake up about every per 8 seconds itself. So it doesn’t go stand by mode exactly and in the other hand, unless i switch it off, it keeps work. I tried factory reset but it did not work. Anyone face this issue? What should i do?

Edit: Typo

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back